Training Week Ending October 19, 2003

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:44:28 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>M- 0 T- 0 W- 0 R- 0 F- 0 S- 0 S- 0 Total for week: 0
>:) (what is the emicon for a straight jacket??)
>I was going to do this 2 weeks but I'm not going to make it... Andy Hass

Nice. Hmm, how about :-|-X= ? Would this be a good time to do some writing
<G>???

Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

Training for January marathon

Mon: off Tue: 7k easy with 2 x 500m at 10k pace (3:50/k) Wed: 10.5k (approx) trail race 43:25 9/82
4k up, 4k down Thu: off Fri: 15k inc 6k accelerating from 5:00/k -> 4:25/k Sat: 25k long inc 10k on
grass Sun: 8k easy recovery

Total: 74km (46 miles).

More quality, less quantity this week Planning a return to 90k+ this week (~60 miles)

Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.

steve common <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> PS It would appear that Doctors don't take flu vaccines. Good.

Their rationale is that since they deal with so many people with all manner of germs and vira on a
daily basis, theír immunological responses, like everything else about them, have become superior to
those of the rest of us.

Anders

I think I posted a sort of report under "how not to run a marathon" J "Layne Wallace"
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:14:33 +0200, Jonathan Sydenham wrote:
>
> >s 42.2 k marathon pace m dnr t dnr w dnr t dnr fr dnr s dnr
> >
> :) Cute. Soooo, where's the report??? Inquiring minds and nosy bastards
want
> to know!
>
> Layne

> The rec.running report archives may be found at
http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

Resident haruspex opines:

> "Never, but NEVER, try to be a smart ass when writing in English. The only person to do that
> successfully was Shakespeare, and everyone hated him when he was alive. Be simple. Be succinct. Be
> sublime."

Sitting in your easy chair querulously invigilating other folks prose is rude, arrogant and
unwanted. Sooo, yes the extra o's are for emphasis, stuff you querulous evaluations in that dark
place once your head pulls out.

Have you returned just to be a nuisance? If so, don't bother this only makes you a smaller
inconsequential popinjay.

--
Doug Freese [email protected]

Parker Race wrote:

> Oh come on guys, my wife ran a 3:03:58 this a.m.
And she looked strong the whole time and has good form. I was led by the nose by Lori the old RD and
she knew all nooks to catch the the entire race. She happened to know both of you so I got to watch
her the entire race.

> and she's asking her coach whether she really has to do the track work out on Tuesday!

;)

> Doug F., good to meet someone in person from the virtual running community. I wish I had done an
> easy early a.m run and caught more of the race myself instead of inflicting more physical and
> metal pain in the half!

It's always fun to watch. We had three from my area run under three hours.

I would have
> hung out more but my wife looked in imminent danger of passing out, I felt safe when she was prone
> in the massage tent.

Nah they never pass out, that implies the loss of the ability to talk. :) Good to talk although only
a few minutes. After you left it was father confessor for those thay could not resist going out too
fast and dying every so slowly.

--

On 20 Oct 2003 00:54:53 -0700, [email protected] (Anders Lustig) wrote:

>steve common <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>

>> PS It would appear that Doctors don't take flu vaccines. Good.
>
>Their rationale is that since they deal with so many people with all manner of germs and vira on a
>daily basis, theír immunological responses, like everything else about them, have become superior
>to those of the rest of us.

That sounds exactly like the kind of attitude a dr would have too, superior. What jerks they are...

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Parker Race wrote:
>

> > Oh come on guys, my wife ran a 3:03:58 this a.m.
> And she looked strong the whole time and has good form. I was led by the nose by Lori the old RD
> and she knew all nooks to catch the the entire race. She happened to know both of you so I got to
> watch her the entire race.
>

> > and she's asking her coach whether she really has to do the track work out on Tuesday!
>
> ;)
>
> > Doug F., good to meet someone in person from the virtual running
community.
> > I wish I had done an easy early a.m run and caught more of the race
myself
> > instead of inflicting more physical and metal pain in the half!
>

> It's always fun to watch. We had three from my area run under three hours.
>

> I would have
> > hung out more but my wife looked in imminent danger of passing out, I
felt
> > safe when she was prone in the massage tent.
>
> Nah they never pass out, that implies the loss of the ability to talk. :) Good to talk although
> only a few minutes. After you left it was father confessor for those thay could not resist going
> out too fast and dying every so slowly.

The scary thing is she was one of them, she was 1:30 something at the half and put quite a few 6:30
splits in through the first 20 or so, some even faster. I suffered in the half, I thought I should
be able to hold a 7:30 pace and I couldn't, the last 7 wasn't any fun at all. Trying to protect the
ego is certainly painful to the body.

> --
> Doug Freese [email protected]

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:

recovery week. I wanted to run more, but wisely decided against it.

Mon--5.0mi (42:54) Tue--off Wed--6.1mi (50:53) Thu--off Fri--off Sat--5.35mi (44:34)
Sun--8.35mi (1:10:59)

total 24.8 mi

Goals: recovery 5k in 2 weeks, recovery 10k in 4 weeks.

+================================================================+ Jeremy Hallum, System Manager ,
Astronomy, University of Michigan [email protected]::[email protected] "Audentis Fortuna Iuvat"

M - 6 mi. @ 8:30 trail run T - DNR -- rest day W - 8 mi. @ 8:20 Gallup/Hospital route. Felt flat
from cold virus. Really hurt up hills. T - 7 mi. @ 7:40 Gallup park + Arb hill (0.6 mi.). Feel
better. F - DNR -- rest day S - 9 mi. @ 8:00 Gallup park + Arb hill (from home). Felt great. S - DNR
-- rest day Total: 30 mi.

Slight shin splints, but otherwise mileage increase is going well. Will hold another week at 30.

Goals: --Lose weight (156#, down from 158#). --Build up base mileage to 40/week to start interval
work this winter. --Train through x-country race Nov. 1: will be happy with sub-21:00 and
thrilled with sub-20:00. Haven't raced this distance in nearly 30 yr., and I don't remember
liking it much.;-)

Scott

SwStudio wrote:

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
>

> cheers,

>> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
<<

Sun - Seaside Festival 10K, West Yarmouth, MA, 50:06 Mon - DNR Tue - 9.3 miles, 1:18:40 Wed - 4
miles, 32:57 Thu - 2.4 miles - 24:35 Fri - DNR Sat - 6 miles, 50:55

Weekly Mileage - 27.9

The Seaside Festival 10K was one of the smallest races I've ever done - about sixty runners -
and one of the wettest, at least for the first two miles. After that the race pretty much
stopped for the rest of the race.

Mike

Real simple. You can't eat for a couple of hours before running, right? So just fill the empty space
in your gut with the beer.
:)

--
Colm

"Povl H. Pedersen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: How do you carry the cold beer ? In a ***** pack ? In the hand ? Do you use gloves to prevent
: hands from getting too cold ? How do you keep the beer cold when carrying it ?
:
: ;^)

In article <[email protected]>, steve common
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Goals : Sand Marathon in 4/2004, Integral du Riquet 240km nonstop 7/2004 rest of 2004 - REST :)
>
>Getting back to running regularly, hydrating properly, avoiding chocolate overload. Starting to
>dream about doing the 240k race in 24 hours and other wild stuff :)
>
>BTW If anyone knows nice places to run in Warsaw, let me know before Tuesday lunchtime. Better
>still, if there are places to avoid at all costs, let me know...

There's a nice path around Winona Lake, though you can also go for Center Lake (a smaller, and a
bit more crowded). If you like the cornfields, you can run down old 30 towards Atwood (about 7
miles one way) or Etna Green (more like ..? 12). For a long point to point, run on in to Bourbon.

--
Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much evidence and ease; this

I ran the Fleet 10k on Sunday, which is organized by my club - Fleet & Crookham AC. It is quite an
undulating course, at least a minute slower than a flat course. My previous 10k PB was 35:09 set on
the dead flat Silverstone course in May, so I was very pleased to break that on a much tougher
course - though I am definitely in much better shape now than in May, so I guessed I could get close
to it at least. I'd say my 35:02 is worth sub 34 on a flat course.

I missed most of the distance markers, but I am certain I achieved negative splits, something I
haven't done for a while.

Results - http://www.hants.org.uk/fleetandcrookhamac/Fleet10k-2003-results.pdf

Monday: pm) 5.65 miles - easy/medium

Tuesday: pm) 5.85 miles in total. 10 x ~600m w/90sec rec - hard

Wednesday: pm) 7.6 miles, hilly, medium

Thursday: pm) 8 miles, inc. 3 x 5min w/3 min jog rec - hard

Friday: pm) 6.7 miles, hillyish - easy/medium

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: am) Fleet 10k, 35:02, 3rd overall

Total run: 41 miles

--
Brian Wakem

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

M - - T - 2 miles in 25:00 (@12:30) W - 2 miles in 23:30 (@11:45) T - 2 miles in 15:36 (@7:48) F - 2
miles in 24:30 (@12:15) S - - S - 16 miles hike. 5000 feet up, 5000 feet down.

total: 8 miles running + 16 miles hiking

mission inn run in riverside, california on nov 9th. 5K and 10K. no time goals yet.

jobs

[email protected] (Robert Grumbine) wrote:

> There's a nice path around Winona Lake, though you can also go for Center Lake (a smaller, and a
> bit more crowded). If you like the cornfields, you can run down old 30 towards Atwood (about 7
> miles one way) or Etna Green (more like ..? 12). For a long point to point, run on in to Bourbon.

Thanks for the suggestions Bob, but I forgot to mention that I was talking about Warsaw, Poland and
judging by the place names in you post, this is a Warsaw, somewhere in USA?

<[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] (Robert Grumbine) wrote:
>
>> There's a nice path around Winona Lake, though you can also go for Center Lake (a smaller, and a
>> bit more crowded). If you like the cornfields, you can run down old 30 towards Atwood (about 7
>> miles one way) or Etna Green (more like ..? 12). For a long point to point, run on in to
>> Bourbon.
>
>Thanks for the suggestions Bob, but I forgot to mention that I was talking about Warsaw, Poland and
>judging by the place names in you post, this is a Warsaw, somewhere in USA?

:) Yes, the one I was referring to is in Indiana. It's
the county seat for Kosciousko County, the county being home to 100 lakes. I grew up in the area and
still visit periodically. I've done the Atwood - Etna Green and Atwood - Warsaw round trips.

Hope the trip to your Warsaw went well.

--

SwStudio wrote:

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
>
> cheers,
> --
> David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

Greetings, all!

Goals: Local 10K on Oct 26th (another checkpoint since resuming training in September); possibly
marathon in May; keep on.

Training week:

Mon, Oct 13: 11K steady run followed by 20 minutes on exercise bike

Tue, Oct 14: bike to work and home (15K); weights (upper body); 8K running at noon including
4*long-ish hill

Wed, Oct 15: 5K easy run; rain rain rain

Thu, Oct 16: 9K + 3*steep-ish (not so long) hill, followed by 45 minute Ashtanga yoga class

Fri, Oct 17: 6K easy + strides

Sat, Oct 18: DNR (planned); went tree-planting and invasive-shrub-pulling in local green space area.
Those shrubs sure fight back!

Sun, Oct 19: approx 21K, continuous run, followed by 20 minutes on stationary bike. Nice sunny
crisp day.

Best to all, db (in Ottawa, Canada)

[email protected] (Robert Grumbine) wrote:

> Hope the trip to your Warsaw went well.

Thanks! I had a great time, including a near-death experience involving a bowling alley, polish
computer scientists, a few frenchmen and lots of beer and even more vodka (with raspberry liqueur
and ground pepper)

After 7 years total abstinence, I'm surprised to be here to tell the tale ;-)

I didn't manage to run anywhere either. Needless to say.

steve common wrote:

> After 7 years total abstinence, I'm surprised to be here to tell the tale ;-)

What made you fall off the wagon?

> I didn't manage to run anywhere either. Needless to say.

It's difficult with a hangover. ;)