Training Week Ending September 28, 2003

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Swstudio, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

    Tags:

  2. Gentolm

    Gentolm Guest

    sun-6miles/49min mon-9miles/90minutes tue-6miles/49min wed-9miles/90minutes thu-6miles/49min
    fri-9miles/90minutes sat-6miles/49minutes cowtown half marathon/ benbrook half marathon / white rock
    half marathon / plodzilla!!!

    SwStudio wrote:

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
    >
    > cheers,
    > --
    > David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

  3. Joe Positive

    Joe Positive Guest

    goals: keep trying to get better and faster; hang on until this Florida summer finally goes away.
    Upcoming races: 5K Oct 4; half-marathon Oct 18; 30K Nov 22.

    M: 6.2mi (9:25)
    N: 6.2mi (9:26)
    O: 7mi incl 7x400 hills, avg 1:49
    P: 6.2mi (9:45)
    Q: dnr Sa: 6.5mi incl 5 miles of alternating-pace mile repeats (8:00/7:12) Su: 16.25 mi (8:39) - ran
    with someone in the club who really pushed the pace

    total: 48.3 miles

    This week I pushed a little harder than usual, and I can feel it. I think I'll back off some
    next week.

    Good week all

    Karen

  4. Steve Common

    Steve Common Guest

    Only one run this week. Reasonable sensations considering. Both ankles still ache a bit after each
    run (due to the 240k race? Or just coz I don't run much anymore?)

    Mon-Thu OFF

    Fri 0:45 9km 6mi Accelern. 5'30/km(8'50/mi) to 4'/km (6'25/mi)

    Sat-Sun COMA (or near enough)
    ___________
    Total see Friday

  5. Wells

    Wells Guest

    Feeling very despondant this week, nothing bad happened, just don't feel like I made any progress.
    Still aiming for that spring marathon, it seems a long way off.

    M: 4ml easy [27;35]. Still very stiff from yesterday.
    N: 5ml inc 3ml tempo [16:40]. Should be closer to 16 flat for this.
    O: Off, tired.
    P: 6ml inc 8x300 uphill [51-53s, jog back recovery]. Slower than the last time I ran this session.
    Q: 5ml easy [32:33]. Very slow and easy, still tired.
    R: Off, busy.
    S: 10ml hard. Attempted 10ml hard, first 6-7 OK, last 3 poor.

    Total: 30ml.

    Less miles than last week, and not much quality.

    wells.

  6. Tenkman

    Tenkman Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    From Daniel Olsen Age 13

    Day of Week Miles Type of Workout Sunday 0 Monday 6 1 warmup, 4 tempo (7:00 pace), 1 cooldown
    Tuesday 3 Easy Wednesday 4 1.5 warmup, 12 hill sprints, half backwards Thursday 3 Easy Friday 6 1
    warm up 4 tempo (6:50 pace) 1 cooldown, 6 sets plyometric jumps Saturday 4 1.5 warmup 12 hill
    sprints(6 forward, 6 backward) with pushups and situps

    Total 26 miles, 4 quality workouts

    Goals Oct. 20 18:30 in the Drug free 5k Nov. 1 - Win State Championship in USATF Cross Country Youth
    4k Nov. 22 - Top 10 in Western Regionals USATF 4k
    De. 6 - Top 20 Nationals USATF 4k

  7. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Training for January marathon

    Easy week after 4 harder weeks

    Mon: 8k intended easy on hilly roads. Ended up putting in a tough 2k uphill stretch chasing and
    passing a cyclist Can't hold back that competitive spirit (he flew past me on the downhill...) Tue:
    12k easy including lots of exercises at track. Wed: 12k including 5k tempo on grass about 4:10/k. HR
    up to 160 (max 180) Thu: 11k including some trail and 1 very steep climb Fri: 18k hilly - easy pace
    Sat: off Sun: 9k start easy. Then after about 5k spot runner up ahead - Upped the pace (500m in < 2
    mins), but he turned around just before I caught him...

    Total: 70km (44 miles) Last week: 90km. Next week: 95km

    Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.

  8. jhallum

    jhallum Guest

    SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:

    Mon-Off Tue-Off Wed-4.0mi 34:16(8:34/mi) Thu-off Fri-5.8mi 49:05(8:27/mi)-ran with Swims, great run,
    felt great to run w/someoneelse Sat-4.25mi 36:02(8:28/mi) Sun-8.35mi 1:18:00 (8:26/mi)

    total: 23.4 mi

    goals:tapering for Detroit Marathon (Oct 5th). Caught a nasty nasty cold on the Sunday before this
    week. I've been hurting for a week now, and I'm finally feeling a bit better. I've been sleeping 9
    hours a night for a week now, and taking it really easy. I'm hoping to be better by Wednesday, so
    that I have 4 solid days of recovery before going into this.

    -jeremy
    --
    +================================================================+ Jeremy Hallum, System Manager ,
    Astronomy, University of Michigan [email protected]::[email protected] "Audentis Fortuna Iuvat"

  9. In article <[email protected]> "SwStudio" <[email protected]> writes:
    >Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals. David (in Hamilton, ON)

    Goals: Tucson Marathon on Dec 7th. Next race is Jim Click's Run 'N Roll, Oct 5th (an 8k
    for charity).

    Mon:Rest Day Tues: 6 mi on treadmill. 8:49 overall. 1 mi @ 9:30 warmup, 1mi @ 8:30,
    1/2 mi break at 9:30; 1/2 mi @ 7:30; 1/2 mi break at 9:30; 1 mi @ 8:30; 1/2 mi break at 9:30;
    1/2 mi @ 7:30 increasing to
    2:00; 1/2 mi @ 9:30. Walk cooldown.

    Wed: 6 mi on treadmill (Hurricane Marty's remains are raining on us today). 8:48 overall pace.
    Started at 10:00 pace for 1/4 mi, then increased ~8 sec/mi every 1/4 mi up to 4 miles. Then stepped
    back down last two miles.

    Thur: 6.3 mi @ 9:55 pace recovery run. Outside. Very wet! Muddy shoes.

    Fri: Rest

    Sat: 15.42 mi, overall pace 9:45. Felt fine, no aches, no blisters, no rubs, but not a lot of "go"
    today. Mind kept toodling off into the distance.

    Sun: Crosstrain. cycled. Rode up Mt Lemmon to Bear Canyon (6,000ft, 12-mile marker). Here the
    pavement ends due to road work. Total miles on bike 32.75 with half uphill. I'm no Roberto Heras,
    took almost two hours up (and flew down in less than an hour, whee!) I've been riding on my trainer
    20-30 mins several times a week in the evenings and it seems to be helping my cycling a lot!

    Total running mi: 33.72

    Teresa in AZ

  10. SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Work is still eating my head, but not as badly. I've tossed out most of my biking workouts to
    save time.

    Mon swim 1:20:00 3900y Took it easy today, legs sore from 5k race Tue run ~1h 6.8m Still taking it
    really easy. Surprised that my legs stayed sore this long, obviously need to race or do hard
    intervals more often. Wed run 30m ? Slightly tired, mostly better, easy run, immediately followed by
    swim workout. Wed swim 45:00 2600y Nice hard main set, bailed out early b/c of run. Thu run 1:05:00
    8.5 Legs feel better. Fri rest Sat bike 3:30:00 60mi 45m with cycling team folk, 15m easy after Sun
    run ~2h 14ish Out to newton center, back via boston course. Legs trashed from cycling yesterday,
    took it easy except for a 7:30ish pace push up heartbreak. Pretty dead afterwords, but legs feel
    just fine today (Monday).

    About to start taper for the BAA Half Marathon on october 12th. No marathons for me this year
    ("woohoo!" say the legs). A tune-up race last sunday was nice (slightly short course, extrapolates
    to ~19min 5k), but I've always been faster at the shorter distances than at marathons, so we'll see.
    Still aiming for sub-7:00 pace during the HM. Can't completely bail on bike workouts; have an
    upcoming bike ride from Boston to Lake George, NY.

    -Dave

    --
    work: dga - at - lcs.mit.edu me: angio - at - pobox.com MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
    http://www.angio.net/ (note that my reply-to address is vaguely despammed...) bulk emailers: I do

  11. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    I didn't do as well at my race on Sunday... I guess I shouldn't have expected much after not racing
    since January and taking three months off this summer, but still... it would have been nice to get
    under 17:30.

    M - off T - 6x1000m (3:25,3:24,3:26,3:24,3:19,3:20)(2:30 rec) 4km up, 4km down W - off T - 13km
    fartlek F - off S - off S - 5km race - 17:35, 4km up, 4km down

    Total: 40km

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

  12. M - DNR -- rest day T -7 mi. @ 8' Gallup Park + Arb hill W -7 mi. @ 8' Gallup Park + Arb hill T -
    DNR -- rest day F - 7.5 mi. @ 8:30 Gallup Park + Arb hill. Hooked up with Mr. Hallum along the way
    and had a great run. S - 60 mi. bike @ ave. of 80% MHR; 21 mi. aerobic equiv. Roadies worked me over
    good. S - DNR -- rest day Total: 21 mi. + 21 mi. aerobic equivalent

    Goals: Build up base mileage to prepare for interval work this winter.

    Scott

    SwStudio wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
    >

    > cheers,

  13. jobin

    jobin Guest

    SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    till T - backpacking in yosemite, california (5 days) W - - T - 2 miles in 14:03 (very slow leg
    turnover, most probably from backpacking) F - 1.5 hr soccer S - - S - 3 miles in 22:30 (leg turnover
    still very slow)

    total: 5 miles + 1.5 hr soccer

    goals: sub-19 5K + sub-5 mile

    jobs

  14. M1ahearn

    M1ahearn Guest

    >> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.
    <<

    Sun - 3.5 miles, 38:01 Mon - 4.8 miles, 43:41 Tue - DNR Wed - 4 miles, 35:40 Thu - 3.7 miles, 32:36
    Fri - DNR Sat - 9.3 miles, 1:20:17

    Total - 25.3 miles

    Mike

  15. steve common <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Only one run this week. Reasonable sensations considering. Both ankles still ache a bit after each
    > run (due to the 240k race?

    That was in mid-July, wasn´t it?!

    > Or just coz I don't run much anymore?)

    If the old adage isn´t "Use it or lose it", it must be "Keep running or you´ll soon be suffering
    from beginners´complaints".

    And if you don´t run _and_ you don´t stretch, you´ll become a very stiff-limbed tight-calfed
    sore-ankled ill-tempered naughty old man in no time!

    > Fri 0:45 9km 6mi Accelern. 5'30/km(8'50/mi) to 4'/km (6'25/mi)

    When that kind of run feels good, it can be a very exhilarating run indeed - but when it doesn´t, it
    can throw you off running for days...

    > Sat-Sun COMA (or near enough)

    ...I see.

    Do you at least have Templiers to look forward to - or do you need to do something really
    st...momentous, like register for the Marathon des Sables, in order to get out of your rut?

    Anders (whose own rut was deepened by a SMS message from a happy acquaintance - with a HM PB a few
    secs under 1:26 - who´d just gone sub-3 in Berlin)

    Mon-Fri: 6:15-6.55 Sat-Sun: 9:00-11.20 Total: 8:00hrs

    Goals: only ones involving skillful use of waxes Races: HM next Sunday; could just as well wear a
    rooster suit or genuine birch bark shoes...

  16. ahass

    ahass Guest

    M-off T-2 mile warmup/cooldown. 8X800 on trail (ie slower than track) in
    2:28/2:26/2:28/2:25/2:29/2:28/2:27/2:26. 90sec jog recovery W-10 easy 6:45 pace R-14 easy 6:38
    pace F-8 easy 7 min pace Sa-10 easy mostly 6:40 pace w/2
    at 6:00 pace Su-16 miles, first half 6:50ish and 2nd
    half 5:40ish Total for week: 67 miles ---leading edge to
    taper into Chicago Marathon Oct 12th. One more quality
    workout left this Tuesday (6Xmile). Primary goal still
    2:22:00, but expect at least 2:26 if recovery doesn't do
    its magic. Andy Hass

  17. Tenkman

    Tenkman Guest

    "Anders Lustig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > And if you don´t run _and_ you don´t stretch, you´ll become a very stiff-limbed tight-calfed
    > sore-ankled ill-tempered naughty old man in no time!

    Well Freese runs all the time and half that list describes him to a T!!!

    ;-)

  18. Seve Common

    Seve Common Guest

    [email protected] (Anders Lustig) wrote:

    >That was in mid-July, wasn´t it?!

    Alas!

    >If the old adage isn´t "Use it or lose it", it must be "Keep running or you´ll soon be suffering
    >from beginners´complaints".
    >
    >And if you don´t run _and_ you don´t stretch, you´ll become a very stiff-limbed tight-calfed
    >sore-ankled ill-tempered naughty old man in no time!

    So _that's_ what's happening to me! (just the last line :) I must have heard you coming , as I went
    for a run today and will go again tomorrow and I HAVE GOALS!!!!!!!! YAY!!! HOO-OO! YOWZA!
    WASSAAAAAAP! Whatever ;-)

    Sand Marathon in April, with the gang from the Desert Cup and previous such foolishness (if any of
    you sell stuff and want global visibility, sponsor me ;-). Followed by the Intégrale de Riquet
    again, in July, but non-stop this time. But is it wise? Let's say "yes" and wait and see whether I
    feel like a stab at a 15km/h marathon before I hit 50 yo, or not.

    BTW The guy who won the "Intégrale" came third in the Spartathlon. Amazing young lad.

    >Do you at least have Templiers to look forward to -

    No I've decided it would be stupid to spoil a lovely race by doing it in the frame of mind, and
    state of un-training, I'm in at the moment. Re-reading some of my drivel just now, I realize how bad
    it's done gotten (sic:)

    >or do you need to do something really st...momentous, like register for the Marathon des Sables, in
    >order to get out of your rut?

    See above :)

    >Anders (whose own rut was deepened by a SMS message from a happy acquaintance - with a HM PB a few
    >secs under 1:26 - who´d just gone sub-3 in Berlin)

    Heavens! It'd sicken me too, 1:26? With a 1:25 I could only manage 3:09.

    >Goals: only ones involving skillful use of waxes

    Hmmm I have similar things in mind but mine don't also involve skis. Well; not for sliding in the
    snow on :eek:P

    >Races: HM next Sunday; could just as well wear a rooster suit or genuine birch bark shoes...

    Why not do it with a view to testing your pacing strategy? Unless you have already hired your
    rooster costume of course.

    By doing the race in 3 sections, say 14km/h for 5km, 15km/h for 10k and 16km/h for the rest, even if
    it means going slower overall than usual?

    Wait til I've Googled-up "birch bark shoes" before making any definitive choices ;-

  19. seve common <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I must have heard you coming , as I went for a run today and will go again tomorrow and I HAVE
    > GOALS!!!!!!!! YAY!!! HOO-OO! YOWZA! WASSAAAAAAP! Whatever ;-)

    Best definition of a goal: something that is hard to do and therefore probably not worth doing.

    > Sand Marathon in April, with the gang from the Desert Cup and previous such foolishness (if any of
    > you sell stuff and want global visibility, sponsor me ;-).

    You should probably get in touch with the guys at Suunto, though they are probably inundated with
    requests:)

    BTW how big a budget does one need, 3.000-4.000€?

    > Followed by the Intégrale de Riquet again, in July, but non-stop this time.

    240.1km in one go? So they´ve turned the three-day event into a veritable Spartathlon - or is there
    now both a "rookie" and "advanced" event and you´ve actually _chosen_ the latter?

    > But is it wise?

    Well, in any case it´ll be over sooner...

    > Re-reading some of my drivel just now, I realize how bad it's done gotten (sic:)

    When you´ve reached the state where you begin to re- read your own stuff (presumably beacuse you´ve
    already re-read everything else), you´re in some deep shit, that´s for sure:)

    > By doing the race in 3 sections, say 14km/h for 5km, 15km/h for 10k and 16km/h for the rest, even
    > if it means going slower overall than usual?

    After converting those silly French units into more familiar ones (4:17min/km, 4:00min/km and
    3:45min/km) I have to point out that it would mean going faster overall than I´ve ever done before -
    1:24:15 or so!

    Since I cannot even remember when I last run under
    240:1ia/km in training (in a race it happened on the first Saturday of June) it´s hardly likely that
    I could sustain 3:45 for more than 1-2km. But it´s a sensible idea, though and definitely
    hard enough to be perfectly suitable as a goal:)

    > Wait til I've Googled-up "birch bark shoes" before making any definitive choices ;->

    http://digilander.libero.it/icAlighieriAulla/Comenius/Karelia/Costumes.htm

    Anders

  20. Seve Common

    Seve Common Guest

    [email protected] (Anders Lustig) wrote:

    >Best definition of a goal: something that is hard to do and therefore probably not worth doing.

    Reminds me of the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy bit where Slartiblartfast is going to try to
    learn a musical instrument which requires you to have more mouths than he possesses :->

    >BTW how big a budget does one need, 3.000-4.000€?

    Yup! The figure if been given is right in there. For a first-timer it can be expensive, if you don't
    already have the lightweight lamps, backpacks, sleeping bags and all, which is why finding sponsors
    is a good idea.

    >240.1km in one go? So they´ve turned the three-day event into a veritable Spartathlon - or is there
    > now both a "rookie" and "advanced" event and you´ve actually _chosen_ the latter?

    Nope :) Only the one event next year. Support team of one mountain biker obligatory on the night
    sections. Having talked to Fernand Taurines this lunchtime (10th place Desert Cup and 10th place
    Intégrale last year) it may be too close to do both, if the date is shifted into June to avoid those
    41° temps.

    (BTW it was still 29°C in Toulouse today)

    >When you´ve reached the state where you begin to re- read your own stuff (presumably beacuse you´ve
    >already re-read everything else), you´re in some deep shit, that´s for sure:)

    ROFLMAO :'-D

    >After converting those silly French units into more familiar ones (4:17min/km, 4:00min/km and
    >3:45min/km) I have to point out that it would mean going faster overall than I´ve ever done before
    >- 1:24:15 or so!

    Ooops! I didn't do the sums :) Maybe 4:20, 4:05, 3:50 then (I still didn't try the calculation)?

    I use Km/h a lo more now cos it turns out that 10k pace = 21k pace + 1km/h and 21k pace = marathon
    pace + 1km/h. More or less.

    >But it´s a sensible idea, though and definitely hard enough to be perfectly suitable as a goal:)

    Don't go getting hurt though. I wouldn't forgive myself for spoiling the ski season.

    >http://digilander.libero.it/icAlighieriAulla/Comenius/Karelia/Costumes.htm

    The ferezi are very fetching, and I could fancy myself in a piikoipaidu, but those "virsut" have
    dethroned sandals worn with mauve town socks as

    feet which are causing that :-