Training, weight loss and NC Mountains

lischoux

Feb 26, 2004
Hi. I have a couple of general questions about weight loss and cycling up mountains... :confused:

I am 32 years old and been riding road bikes as a passtime for about 2 years now. After the cycling bug bit me I've been out on the road every chance possible. Rain, wind, hail and blistering sun have not done me in so far. I've basically been out of shape all my life generally being 20-30 kilos overweight. I am about 180 cm and right now I am at 90 kilos which tells the whole story.

Cycling has put me in a somewhat better shape and a (at least for me) GREAT fitness level (had a heart checkup last year and will have one in April). I've never raced, never joined a club but I am able to ride solo 100k's and even moderate to steep hills (3 km and less) at an OK pace (no real mountains yet). After winter settled in I set myself a goal of getting down to 75 kilos before the season starts again (for me 1st of May). To achieve this I use my trainer at least 1 hour a day (at the time I write this I am up to 1.5 hrs minimum) and try to control my calorie intake. No other sports since the 9-to-5 grind leaves me with precious little time. I try to balance what I eat with what I consume on the trainer using a rather simple equation: 3500 calories less = 1 pound lost. I started the winter at 95 kilos and I lost the 5 kilos with this formula (until I "forgot" for a couple of weeks to count calories and stayed at 91 for awhile). I do not have a specific riding goal yet (other than loosing weight) but I plan on doing some mountains this summer. North Carolina will be the place. I plan on riding alone, just enjoying the days on the bike and the climbing achieved.Since I have never done mountains I plan on doing a reconnaissance drive (with the car) of each climb before I ride it.

Here are the questions: Am I doing it right ? Am I overlooking something essential while using nothing but the trainer? I may substitute the trainer for some indoor squash or badminton sessions in March but have nothing else planned. I am also a fan of the Carmichael training philosophy and I am basically sticking to the zones.

How can I prepare best for the mountains ? Even right now while only riding the trainer ? Should I include hills and mountains in my spring-early summer outdoor rides on every ride or is it ok if I only do them "once in awhile" ? I know I need to face them sooner or later and want to attack the first climb prepared. I have the nagging suspicion that if I blow up on the first hill that lasts more than 3 km, I may become discouraged (and spend my cycling vacation in Florida rather than NC).

What would be another sensible goal for the 2004 season ? Should I join a club and ride a century (in miles) ?

Even though I may be past the generally accepted prime age for cyclists by that time, I want to get into some competitive races and even take part in the Etappe du Tour in a couple of years. Sensible or not?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Also... If you're familiar with NC, I would appreciate any riding suggestions.

Thanks folks !

Lots of questions in the post. I'll throw in my $0.02 here and there. You've got the weight loss caloric formula down. Riding the trainer every day (too boring for me) might be tough. If you're doing significant exercise, recovery days are very helpful. Cross training on recovery days is fine. (Something like weight lifting; it might not help your cycling all that much, but more muscles = higher metabolism = weight loss.)

Lots of opinions on improving climbing (including weight lifting to strengthen muscles). Seems to me, though, that the best way to get better climbing is to climb lots, as Eddy would say. Do as much climbing as you can as early and as often as you can. Ease into to so you don't kill yourself on the first ride, but keep challenging yourself.

If you're already riding 100 km, a century would be a piece of cake for you. If the century's not on a killer course, you could probably do it already. (The extra motivation of the event, plus the SAG stops, are probably worth 30+ miles.) It would be better, of course, to train up to a century. Google will show you lots of sample training plans. (Actually, they're all pretty much the same plan cribbed from an old Bicycling magazine article. It's worked for lots of folks, though.)

I'm sort of close to you (in age and geography, 41 and North Georgia), but don't really know that much about the Carolinas. If you're ever down my way, drop me a note.

Stephen

Originally posted by lischoux
Hi. I have a couple of general questions about weight loss and cycling up mountains... :confused:

I am 32 years old and been riding road bikes as a passtime for about 2 years now. After the cycling bug bit me I've been out on the road every chance possible. Rain, wind, hail and blistering sun have not done me in so far. I've basically been out of shape all my life generally being 20-30 kilos overweight. I am about 180 cm and right now I am at 90 kilos which tells the whole story.

Cycling has put me in a somewhat better shape and a (at least for me) GREAT fitness level (had a heart checkup last year and will have one in April). I've never raced, never joined a club but I am able to ride solo 100k's and even moderate to steep hills (3 km and less) at an OK pace (no real mountains yet). After winter settled in I set myself a goal of getting down to 75 kilos before the season starts again (for me 1st of May). To achieve this I use my trainer at least 1 hour a day (at the time I write this I am up to 1.5 hrs minimum) and try to control my calorie intake. No other sports since the 9-to-5 grind leaves me with precious little time. I try to balance what I eat with what I consume on the trainer using a rather simple equation: 3500 calories less = 1 pound lost. I started the winter at 95 kilos and I lost the 5 kilos with this formula (until I "forgot" for a couple of weeks to count calories and stayed at 91 for awhile). I do not have a specific riding goal yet (other than loosing weight) but I plan on doing some mountains this summer. North Carolina will be the place. I plan on riding alone, just enjoying the days on the bike and the climbing achieved.Since I have never done mountains I plan on doing a reconnaissance drive (with the car) of each climb before I ride it.

Here are the questions: Am I doing it right ? Am I overlooking something essential while using nothing but the trainer? I may substitute the trainer for some indoor squash or badminton sessions in March but have nothing else planned. I am also a fan of the Carmichael training philosophy and I am basically sticking to the zones.

How can I prepare best for the mountains ? Even right now while only riding the trainer ? Should I include hills and mountains in my spring-early summer outdoor rides on every ride or is it ok if I only do them "once in awhile" ? I know I need to face them sooner or later and want to attack the first climb prepared. I have the nagging suspicion that if I blow up on the first hill that lasts more than 3 km, I may become discouraged (and spend my cycling vacation in Florida rather than NC).

What would be another sensible goal for the 2004 season ? Should I join a club and ride a century (in miles) ?

Even though I may be past the generally accepted prime age for cyclists by that time, I want to get into some competitive races and even take part in the Etappe du Tour in a couple of years. Sensible or not?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Also... If you're familiar with NC, I would appreciate any riding suggestions.

Thanks folks !
Well if 32 is old then I'm dead. Im 43 my goal is the 2005 Master Games here in Edmonton Canada. I've also fought with the weight thing my whole life my passion is cycling I ride mountain bike. It sounds to me that you're doing great; but I would suggest building up to the big climbs if you don't you could do something worse than be discouraged you could hurt yourself. Check out coach Carl on the web he has a nice piece on age. Why don't you check out www.2005mastergames and come join the fun. Keep on riding and you'll never get old treke

Thx Stephen and Treke for the replies.

- Yeah riding the trainer can be boring but I watch TV while doing it (Movie or Tour De France Tape /DVD with the sound turned down) and the stereo blaring in the background (Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, ACDC or KISS really help). As of now I am at a 1 3/4 hrs average a day when I am not outside.

- I'll keep that century in mind. Have to check around Montreal to find a suitable venue for late in the year (probably September/October)

- I will pass through Georgia this summer. I plan on spending a few days in and around Hiawassee (guess where I got THAT idea). Been to GA a lot over the past but never to cycle.

- Treke: You may have triggered a very interesting idea. I checked out the World Masters Games - site... You know... It does not seem like a bad idea. The more I think about it... Anyway, if I understand the requirements correctly you need a UCI license in order to compete.
http://www.2005worldmasters.com/bcm...69C757CEB761DE7E87256E1200663F1F?OpenDocument
Although I live in Montreal I have a passport from Luxembourg (yeah call me EuroTrash). I would need a license from Canada, right ? I checked the ACC site already... The MORE I think about it.... We'll see !