Training: Weights, Rides and Timing

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by xiaochou, Jan 30, 2005.

1. xiaochou

xiaochou New Member

Hello All,
    As a newcomer to road biking I have a few questions regarding timing. Specifically, I'm trying to balance putting in some base miles and moderate weight training. My typical schedule is as follows: (BTW 1/20 = 1 hr. or 20 miles) M: Off T:1/20 W:1/20 Th:1/20 F:Off Sa:1.25-1.5 hrs Su: 1.25-1.5 hrs. On one of those days off (M or F) I will try to do some leg presses, extensions, ab work, etc. Assume about a 5-10% increase in mileage per week.
    My questions is this: How does this schedule sound given the fact that I want to be in great shape by the end of May (that's my first event....47 miles, 2 mountain passes...5,500 ft. vertical climb). I don't want to overtrain but I do want to put in some miles before event day and be able to use these first few months to put a little more muscle into these pistons of mine.
    I'd appreciate any advice from the experienced crowd out there.
    Cheers,
    Chad

Tags:

2. Carrera

Carrera New Member

The issue of muscle and cycling has been discussed in great detail on other threads. Certainly where climbing is concerned an excess of muscle mass could do more harm than good. Another thing you have to look out for is whether the weight work might dig into your recuperation efficiency, making you more tired when you ride.
    So far as I'm aware, pro-riders such as Armstrong do their weight-training on an off-season basis with the aim of recuperating any lost muscle mass (a form of preparation for the more intensive season).
    Basically you need to be lean, have a high power to body mass capacity and a good level of fitness and endurance.

3. xiaochou

xiaochou New Member

Thanks for the input. Yes, I've read many of the other threads but I suppose my purpose was to incorporate the timing issue more than anything.
    I'll just listen to my body and experiment.
    Thanks again...