Training? What shoud I do?

michael750a

Oct 10, 2007
I just started riding bicycles (about 4 weeks ago). I got into it to help me get in better shape to race dirt bikes. I do not know where I need to start my training or how to go about. What I have done so far is the following, started out going 6 miles a day every day then I up it 2 miles every new week I am riding 10 miles a day at an average of 15mhp on a fairly hilly road. Is this a good way to start out and just keep taking my time and build up my endurance slowly? How many miles should I ride a day I was told 15-20 is a good mark to shoot for? I am 25, 5'6", 165-170. What should I do, I just want to be in better shape for my dirt bike and maybe be able to do a road race or two for the fun of it one day. Thanks

Michael

Lucky you, you live in FLA!. All the best in your riding experiences and a safe road ahead. You should search on the net for heart rate calculators and find you heart rate zones in %, then ride the bike at a easy pace for several months to allow your body to adapt and build a 'BASE' for other training regements to follow. Take your time and persistance will be a trusted friend over time.

michael750a said:
I just started riding bicycles (about 4 weeks ago). I got into it to help me get in better shape to race dirt bikes. I do not know where I need to start my training or how to go about. What I have done so far is the following, started out going 6 miles a day every day then I up it 2 miles every new week I am riding 10 miles a day at an average of 15mhp on a fairly hilly road. Is this a good way to start out and just keep taking my time and build up my endurance slowly? How many miles should I ride a day I was told 15-20 is a good mark to shoot for? I am 25, 5'6", 165-170. What should I do, I just want to be in better shape for my dirt bike and maybe be able to do a road race or two for the fun of it one day. Thanks

Michael
In my situation, I didn't cross the 15-20 mile mark until I joined a local bicycle club. The support was diverse enough that I could pick between different groups as my fitness improved. Eventually the 3-5 hour 40-60 mile rides were no longer a scary thought. It also helped feel safe that far from home and knowing that the routes chosen were decent for the 2wheeled traffic.

But be very careful not to enjoy yourself on the self-powered version of 2 wheels! That may lead you to abandon on its motorized cousin. :D

Happy riding!
Dave

michael750a said:
I just started riding bicycles (about 4 weeks ago). I got into it to help me get in better shape to race dirt bikes. I do not know where I need to start my training or how to go about. What I have done so far is the following, started out going 6 miles a day every day then I up it 2 miles every new week I am riding 10 miles a day at an average of 15mhp on a fairly hilly road. Is this a good way to start out and just keep taking my time and build up my endurance slowly?
Don't ride everyday. Starting out you probably want to stick to 3-5 days a week. Some experienced cyclists will ride everyday, but they have recovery days where they will ride at a very easy pace.
As far as how to pace your ride, do some reading on interval training. Here is a site with several good articles:
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/interval-training.htm
It is better to focus on quality of miles ridden than quantity. It is possible to do a 50 mile ride and get almost no fitness benefit.
A year and a half ago I started mountain biking to help out with fitness and skills for riding/racing dirt bikes. Fast forware to today and I've got 3 bikes and am shopping for #4, have done 20+ mountain bike races, have started racing cyclocross, and plan to start road racing next year.