Training wheels for race bike $?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Fat'N'Slow, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Fat'N'Slow

    Fat'N'Slow Guest

    I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a set of training wheels but
    after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-lite (20/24 spoke). I'm
    no lightweight so I'd like to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
    racing. I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the cheapest they could do
    was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap shop, but come on...

    Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a racing bike and where to get'em.
    I don't want second hand.

    Flame at will...

    Tags:

  2. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    There are mixed feelings about Shimano R540 wheels. I have used them for 2k since July. I have also used R535 wheels alternately. I have been happy with them. In case you're interested, Phantom Cycles have them for $395 a set.

  3. Etxy

    Etxy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    Depends if you want trick looking training wheels or just normal everyday slightly heavier ones. With my new bike, I'm going to use the Shimano 540's as a training wheelset, and get something good for a race wheel when I have the money. Your story is the other way round, but I'd suggest maybe the 540 or 535 wheel, or (and I'm not 100% sure on the price for this) maybe a Mavic CXP22 or MA3 rim laced to a 105 hub, normal DT spokes? Most bike shops could do it for you, if you've not built a wheel before. A well built wheel would be strong and last you for a long time. :) For around $500 (which you've said might be a bit expensive) you could possibly get Open Pro rims laced to Ultegra hubs, which would give you a lighter package, but wouldn't be so cheap.

  4. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a set
    of
    > training wheels but after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-
    > lite (20/24 spoke). I'm no lightweight so I'd like to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and
    > keep the Bontragers for
    racing.
    > I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the
    cheapest
    > they could do was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap
    shop,
    > but come on...
    >
    > Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a racing bike and where to
    > get'em. I don't want second hand.

    Velocity Razor wheelset $339 (Dean Woods) Campagnolo Vento wheelset $395 (LeTour) Shimano WH-R540
    Wheel Set $400 (LeTour)

    Cheaper than that without going second-hand might be pushing it. I'd try and find an LBS which has a
    good wheel builder and have them build a set of tough wheels. None of this 20 spoke crap, bring on
    the 32! ;-) I got Croydon Cycleworks to build mine up, though I went with tough rims and trick,
    light hubs.

    hth hippy

  5. Gallagher Bikes in Warragul, regularly have eBay auctions, selling Shimano 540 wheelsets... usually
    go for around $250...

    you may get a similar price if you ring him direct...

    www.bikeland.com.au

    bear in mind you don't want to weigh more than about 95 kg with this wheelset

    "fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au...
    > I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a set
    of
    > training wheels but after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-
    > lite (20/24 spoke). I'm no lightweight so I'd like to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and
    > keep the Bontragers for
    racing.
    > I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the
    cheapest
    > they could do was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap
    shop,
    > but come on...
    >
    > Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a racing bike and where to
    > get'em. I don't want second hand.
    >
    > Flame at will...

  6. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    > "fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a
    set
    > of
    > > training wheels but after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-
    > > lite (20/24 spoke). I'm no lightweight so I'd
    like
    > > to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
    > racing.
    > > I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the
    > cheapest
    > > they could do was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap
    > shop,
    > > but come on...
    > >
    > > Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a
    racing
    > > bike and where to get'em. I don't want second hand.
    >
    > Velocity Razor wheelset $339 (Dean Woods) Campagnolo Vento wheelset $395 (LeTour) Shimano WH-R540
    > Wheel Set $400 (LeTour)
    >
    > Cheaper than that without going second-hand might be pushing it. I'd try and find an LBS which has
    > a good wheel builder and have them build a set of tough wheels. None of this 20 spoke crap, bring
    > on the 32! ;-) I got Croydon Cycleworks to build mine up, though I went with tough rims and trick,
    > light hubs.

    ebay could be a place to look too.

    New Shimano 540 wheels cost around $330 (plus another $25 for shipping) - there is a retailer in
    Victoria that sells these constantly on ebay.

    There are other wheelsets that come up regularly.

    Tim

  7. Fat'N'Slow

    Fat'N'Slow Guest

    Thanks for the tips.

    I weigh around 93 kg so I think I'll give the shimano 540s a miss. I'd really like something a bit
    stronger with more spokes. I've already got a set of good race wheels.

    Cheers.

    "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Gallagher Bikes in Warragul, regularly have eBay auctions, selling Shimano 540 wheelsets...
    > usually go for around $250...
    >
    > you may get a similar price if you ring him direct...
    >
    > www.bikeland.com.au
    >
    > bear in mind you don't want to weigh more than about 95 kg with this wheelset
    >
    > "fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > server.bigpond.net.au...
    > > I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a
    set
    > of
    > > training wheels but after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-
    > > lite (20/24 spoke). I'm no lightweight so I'd
    like
    > > to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
    > racing.
    > > I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the
    > cheapest
    > > they could do was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap
    > shop,
    > > but come on...
    > >
    > > Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a
    racing
    > > bike and where to get'em. I don't want second hand.
    > >
    > > Flame at will...

  8. Greg W

    Greg W Guest

    How about some Ultegra Hubs with Ritchey Aero rims and 28 Swiss DT spokes?

    Strong and light. They're a perfect training wheel and will handle your weight. Brand new and
    they're going cheap:

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3643674957&category=7298

    "fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au...
    > Thanks for the tips.
    >
    > I weigh around 93 kg so I think I'll give the shimano 540s a miss. I'd really like something a bit
    > stronger with more spokes. I've already got a set of good race wheels.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >

    > "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Gallagher Bikes in Warragul, regularly have eBay auctions, selling
    Shimano
    > > 540 wheelsets... usually go for around $250...
    > >
    > > you may get a similar price if you ring him direct...
    > >
    > > www.bikeland.com.au
    > >
    > > bear in mind you don't want to weigh more than about 95 kg with this wheelset
    > >
    > > "fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > server.bigpond.net.au...
    > > > I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a
    > set
    > > of
    > > > training wheels but after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on
    my
    > > > wheels - Bontrager Race-lite (20/24 spoke). I'm no lightweight so I'd
    > like
    > > > to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
    > > racing.
    > > > I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the
    > > cheapest
    > > > they could do was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap
    > > shop,
    > > > but come on...
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a
    > racing
    > > > bike and where to get'em. I don't want second hand.
    > > >
    > > > Flame at will...

  9. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    I wouldn't take that 95kg recommendation as absolute. The rims are very strong on the 540's, and they're strong due to the spokes coming from the outside of the rim, not the centre (laterally stiff).

    I've broken one spoke in over a year of training on some of the worst bike paths and roads Melbourne can throw up.

    I'm not 93kg now, but I was 96kg when I started riding on these.

  10. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    fat'n'slow wrote:
    > I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a set of training wheels but
    > after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-lite (20/24 spoke).
    > I'm no lightweight so I'd like to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
    > racing. I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the cheapest they could do
    > was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap shop, but come on...
    >
    > Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a racing bike and where to
    > get'em. I don't want second hand.
    >
    > Flame at will...

    My LBS (in Waverley, Sydney) sold me a new 700c Velocity wheel for about $90. Twice $90 = $180,
    cheaper than every other wheelset that's been discussed so far. I both race and train on it and it's
    been fine.

    &roo

  11. Aussie cycler

    Aussie cycler New Member