Training wheels for race bike $?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fat'N'Slow

I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a set of training wheels but
after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-lite (20/24 spoke). I'm
no lightweight so I'd like to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
racing. I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the cheapest they could do
was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap shop, but come on...

Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a racing bike and where to get'em.
I don't want second hand.

Flame at will...

There are mixed feelings about Shimano R540 wheels. I have used them for 2k since July. I have also used R535 wheels alternately. I have been happy with them. In case you're interested, Phantom Cycles have them for $395 a set.

Originally posted by Fat'N'Slow
I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a set of training wheels but
after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-lite (20/24 spoke). I'm
no lightweight so I'd like to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
racing. I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the cheapest they could do
was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap shop, but come on...

Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a racing bike and where to get'em.
I don't want second hand.

Flame at will...

Depends if you want trick looking training wheels or just normal everyday slightly heavier ones. With my new bike, I'm going to use the Shimano 540's as a training wheelset, and get something good for a race wheel when I have the money. Your story is the other way round, but I'd suggest maybe the 540 or 535 wheel, or (and I'm not 100% sure on the price for this) maybe a Mavic CXP22 or MA3 rim laced to a 105 hub, normal DT spokes? Most bike shops could do it for you, if you've not built a wheel before. A well built wheel would be strong and last you for a long time. :) For around $500 (which you've said might be a bit expensive) you could possibly get Open Pro rims laced to Ultegra hubs, which would give you a lighter package, but wouldn't be so cheap.

"fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:06DBb.47336$aT.15561@news-
> I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a set
of
> training wheels but after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-
> lite (20/24 spoke). I'm no lightweight so I'd like to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and
> keep the Bontragers for
racing.
> I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the
cheapest
> they could do was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap
shop,
> but come on...
>
> Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a racing bike and where to
> get'em. I don't want second hand.

Velocity Razor wheelset $339 (Dean Woods) Campagnolo Vento wheelset $395 (LeTour) Shimano WH-R540
Wheel Set $400 (LeTour)

Cheaper than that without going second-hand might be pushing it. I'd try and find an LBS which has a
good wheel builder and have them build a set of tough wheels. None of this 20 spoke ****, bring on
the 32! ;-) I got Croydon Cycleworks to build mine up, though I went with tough rims and trick,
light hubs.

hth hippy

Gallagher Bikes in Warragul, regularly have eBay auctions, selling Shimano 540 wheelsets... usually
go for around $250...

you may get a similar price if you ring him direct...

www.bikeland.com.au

bear in mind you don't want to weigh more than about 95 kg with this wheelset

"fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:06DBb.47336$aT.15561@news-
server.bigpond.net.au...
> I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a set
of
> training wheels but after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-
> lite (20/24 spoke). I'm no lightweight so I'd like to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and
> keep the Bontragers for
racing.
> I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the
cheapest
> they could do was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap
shop,
> but come on...
>
> Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a racing bike and where to
>
> Flame at will...

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:06DBb.47336$aT.15561@news-
> > I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a
set
> of
> > training wheels but after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-
> > lite (20/24 spoke). I'm no lightweight so I'd
> > to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
> racing.
> > I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the
> cheapest
> > they could do was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap
> shop,
> > but come on...
> >
> > Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a
racing
> > bike and where to get'em. I don't want second hand.
>
> Velocity Razor wheelset $339 (Dean Woods) Campagnolo Vento wheelset $395 (LeTour) Shimano WH-R540
> Wheel Set $400 (LeTour)
>
> Cheaper than that without going second-hand might be pushing it. I'd try and find an LBS which has
> a good wheel builder and have them build a set of tough wheels. None of this 20 spoke ****, bring
> on the 32! ;-) I got Croydon Cycleworks to build mine up, though I went with tough rims and trick,
> light hubs.
>

ebay could be a place to look too.

New Shimano 540 wheels cost around $330 (plus another $25 for shipping) - there is a retailer in
Victoria that sells these constantly on ebay.

There are other wheelsets that come up regularly.

Tim

Thanks for the tips.

I weigh around 93 kg so I think I'll give the shimano 540s a miss. I'd really like something a bit
stronger with more spokes. I've already got a set of good race wheels.

Cheers.

"Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gallagher Bikes in Warragul, regularly have eBay auctions, selling Shimano 540 wheelsets...
> usually go for around $250...
>
> you may get a similar price if you ring him direct...
>
> www.bikeland.com.au
>
> bear in mind you don't want to weigh more than about 95 kg with this wheelset
>
> "fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:06DBb.47336$aT.15561@news-
> server.bigpond.net.au...
> > I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a
set
> of
> > training wheels but after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-
> > lite (20/24 spoke). I'm no lightweight so I'd
> > to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
> racing.
> > I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the
> cheapest
> > they could do was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap
> shop,
> > but come on...
> >
> > Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a
racing
> > bike and where to get'em. I don't want second hand.
> >
> > Flame at will...
> >
>

How about some Ultegra Hubs with Ritchey Aero rims and 28 Swiss DT spokes?

Strong and light. They're a perfect training wheel and will handle your weight. Brand new and
they're going cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3643674957&category=7298

"fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:n7XBb.48300$aT.35648@news-
server.bigpond.net.au...
> Thanks for the tips.
>
> I weigh around 93 kg so I think I'll give the shimano 540s a miss. I'd really like something a bit
> stronger with more spokes. I've already got a set of good race wheels.
>
> Cheers.
>
>
> "Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Gallagher Bikes in Warragul, regularly have eBay auctions, selling
Shimano
> > 540 wheelsets... usually go for around $250...
> >
> > you may get a similar price if you ring him direct...
> >
> > www.bikeland.com.au
> >
> > bear in mind you don't want to weigh more than about 95 kg with this wheelset
> >
> > "fat'n'slow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:06DBb.47336$aT.15561@news-
> > server.bigpond.net.au...
> > > I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a
> set
> > of
> > > training wheels but after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on
my
> > > wheels - Bontrager Race-lite (20/24 spoke). I'm no lightweight so I'd
> like
> > > to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
> > racing.
> > > I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the
> > cheapest
> > > they could do was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap
> > shop,
> > > but come on...
> > >
> > > Any ideas of how much I should pay for a set of strong whels for a
> racing
> > > bike and where to get'em. I don't want second hand.
> > >
> > > Flame at will...
> > >
> > >
> >
>

Originally posted by Fat'N'Slow
Thanks for the tips.

I weigh around 93 kg so I think I'll give the shimano 540s a miss. I'd really like something a bit
stronger with more spokes. I've already got a set of good race wheels.

Cheers.

> >
>

I wouldn't take that 95kg recommendation as absolute. The rims are very strong on the 540's, and they're strong due to the spokes coming from the outside of the rim, not the centre (laterally stiff).

I've broken one spoke in over a year of training on some of the worst bike paths and roads Melbourne can throw up.

I'm not 93kg now, but I was 96kg when I started riding on these.

fat'n'slow wrote:
> I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a set of training wheels but
> after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-lite (20/24 spoke).
> I'm no lightweight so I'd like to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
> racing. I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the cheapest they could do
> was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap shop, but come on...
>
>
> Flame at will...
>
>
My LBS (in Waverley, Sydney) sold me a new 700c Velocity wheel for about $90. Twice $90 = $180,
cheaper than every other wheelset that's been discussed so far. I both race and train on it and it's
been fine.

&roo

Originally posted by Andrew Swan
fat'n'slow wrote:
> I do 150-200 klm a week on my road bike. I've been resisting buying a set of training wheels but
> after a year I'm starting to see signs of wear on my wheels - Bontrager Race-lite (20/24 spoke).
> I'm no lightweight so I'd like to buy a set of wheels for everyday use and keep the Bontragers for
> racing. I asked at Clarence Cyclery what they had for training wheels. the cheapest they could do
> was a set of Mavics for $500. I know this isn't a cheap shop, but come on...
>
>

I am 107 kg's and was riding/racing on Bontrager lite's. I broke 2 spokes in the rear wheel in quick succession and was advised to get a pair of training wheels for day to day use. I went to my LBS and was convinced to purchase a pair of MAvic CXP33's (36 spoke). I have done probably 2000 km on them and have not once had a problem. They are bullet proof! Most people in my club train on them.

$500 might be a touch expensive, I would ring around other shops but if they were the CXP 33's they quoted you, that is the wheel to get. Don't concern yourself with the weight (they are much heavier than the Lite's) as you will find your training on heavier wheels will improve your times on your race wheels.

BTW I have since sold my Bontragers and ordered a set of Ksyrium SL's for racing on. I have been told they are one of the strongest race wheels around.

Status
Not open for further replies.