Training while recovering from a broken collarbone?

Farmguy

Feb 27, 2007
8 Days ago, last friday I hit a dog and flipped, breaking my collarbone. I have a race Nov 22, Tour De Tucson., 109 miles and I want to finish in under 5 hours. I plan on getting back on my bike/trainer next week as pain allows and ride inside till Oct then if Im lucky get back out on the road. What should I focus on while inside? I have a stack of spinervals DVD's that I train with in the winter, I was planning on 3-4 times a week with 1-2 hours per spin.

Mostly Intervals? L4-L5's? Then work on long pace riding in Oct to build back butt miles? I have quite a base, at the time of my "dog" I was 22-23 mph at 90% HR.
Thanks

Farmguy said:
.... What should I focus on while inside?...
I'd go with SST and L4 work. That's pretty much how I spent 7 months last winter and it definitely raised my FTP.

You're on the right track, indoor time aint fun and you can get your saddle endurance up once you get back on the road. So make those indoor workouts count by working fairly hard for as long as you can tolerate per session without frying yourself mentally to the point where you skip subsequent sessions. I found I could handle up to 90 minutes per indoor session and by the time the snow melted hour long trainer sessions felt like a walk in the park.

I don't use training videos, but a good action movie or a good music mix can really help pass the time during SST workouts where you don't need total focus. I don't like any distractions for L4 or L5 work and prefer to stay focused on the job at hand but lots of folks seem to like some hard pounding music to get them through their intense sessions.

Good luck,
-Dave

Well, glad to have a second opinion, thats what I was thinking, short but intense for a month or so. I like the spinerval DVD's as they give me direction otherwise I lose interest, "as long as the tape is going...so do I type thing"

My goal is just to maintain my level maybe even build a little speed till I get back on the road then I can finish with 4-5 weeks of pace and hill work.