Training with a headcold

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by A. J., Oct 21, 2004.

  1. A. J.

    A. J. Guest

    What are some of your experiences with training or choosing not to train
    through a head cold. While I find myself lacking the motivation to get
    started, once I get on the road or in the pool I feel great, far better than
    when sitting around being sick and lazy. The down side is that I feel much
    more fatigued a few hours afterwards. Any advice or weather to push through
    or take a few down days? BTW, I am in the final week prior to a taper for
    the last race of the season, obviously not wanting to miss many workouts.

    Thanks,
    AJ

    Tags:

  2. mikep

    mikep Guest

    > What are some of your experiences with training or choosing not to train
    > through a head cold.

    I train through. It makes me feel better, but don't know if it does much
    good for the training plan. I avoid running or riding with others out of
    respect for their health, and I also don't swim in the pool if I've got a
    bad case of the snots just because its gross.
    mike p

  3. Eric

    Eric Guest

    a long time ago I'd read a recommendation to just stay in and heal
    quicker. But I definitely feel better going out to run or bike: An
    adrenalin and endorphin (sp?) buzz beats sitting on the couch any day.
    Eric

  4. Susan in LA

    Susan in LA Guest

    "A. J." <[email protected]_ns.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What are some of your experiences with training or choosing not to train
    > through a head cold. While I find myself lacking the motivation to get
    > started, once I get on the road or in the pool I feel great, far better than
    > when sitting around being sick and lazy. The down side is that I feel much
    > more fatigued a few hours afterwards. Any advice or weather to push through
    > or take a few down days? BTW, I am in the final week prior to a taper for
    > the last race of the season, obviously not wanting to miss many workouts.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > AJ

    As long as I don't have a fever or feel completely crappy I still
    train but lower intensity/duration. I can usually tell in a day or 2
    if this is making things better or worse.

    I am a teensy bit worried about people swimming with head colds in the
    lane next to me though.....please use a hankerchief in-between sets! I
    just finished staring down at a field of snotballs at the bottom of my
    club pool for an hour....gross!

    Susan in LA

  5. Billy Boone

    Billy Boone Guest

    I follow a similar plan to Susan. I also drink Orange Juice and take some
    echinacea (in an attempt to boost my immune system). After a few workouts I
    can tell which way I'm going (towards recovery - or getting sick) and act
    accordingly.

    news:[email protected]