Training with a HRM

Michael127

Apr 22, 2003
I'm a mediocre road cyclist and want to make the jump to training with a HRM. Can anyone tell me what kind of HRM they use? I'm looking for something with speed/distance/cadence functions preferably built in. The computer download would be nice - but I have a mac if they have software for macs. Thanks.

Michael127 said:
I'm a mediocre road cyclist and want to make the jump to training with a HRM. Can anyone tell me what kind of HRM they use? I'm looking for something with speed/distance/cadence functions preferably built in. The computer download would be nice - but I have a mac if they have software for macs. Thanks.

I am also a Mac user. Unfortunately most of the available HRM only work with PCs. So you will need to run Virtual PC on your Mac.
Cateye is coming with the new CC-TR100 in October. That cyclocomputer with HRM will work with both Mac and PC.

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/viewProduct.php?modelId=1&catId=6&subCatId=0

I use a Polar 710i.

+'s
- Optional cadence and power sensors available (power is v expensive tho)
- All the functions you'd ever, ever need
- Great wireless alternative to cabled cyclocomputers
- IR download with great software with training diary, graphs, etc, etc.

Cheaper options are S 520 (downloads to PC using 'SonicLink' (slower than IR)) and the S 150 (no downloading capability). I'd really push for the 710i since they've come down a bit in price since the release of the 720 and the 725. The extra money is really for the IR downloading and larger memory which allows 5sec recording intervals instead of 10sec or 15sec - more accurate and it's well worth it.

New offering from Cateye may be good but Polar isn't the market leader without good reason. Mac compatibility may be a factor but I wouldn't be compromising the total product features just for that when virtual pc is a viable option.

One last point: Polar also offer FREE software updates which is something almost unheard of in this day and age.

Happy HRM hunting...

Michael127 said:
I too am a Polar fan. I've got the S610i and had it for over a year now, I'd highly recommend it. The Cateye looks very nice, but it's not a Polar IMO. I'm half thinking of getting an S725i now because of the cycling features.

Michael127 said:
Wow, any idea about a price on that? Looks perfect. I'm guessing $400 +

I've been getting price quotes from local bikes shops. Cheapest I've been quoted is $170 with my 20% prefered buyers discount. I've also seen it online for $200.

bcarrasco said:
I've been getting price quotes from local bikes shops. Cheapest I've been quoted is $170 with my 20% prefered buyers discount. I've also seen it online for $200.

What a great price...can you tell me where you found it online?

I have been looking but haven't seen anything THAT cheaps?

Thanks.

Michael127 said:

I have been looking into
http://www.otag.co.uk/TrainingLog/

This looks very promissing for Mac users, I am in the process of kitting up to give it a go.