Training with HRM"s

Greg

Guest
I'm looking for some advice on HRM's

I've been training for a while with one and notice on longer rides (around 100kms) with various
hills - my Average HR sits at around 85%

Is this normal? I'm not pushing too hard and this seems to be aweful high to ride at for 3hrs +

What are other peoples Av HR's? Should the Average drop the fitter you get?

Any good links / info / books on HRM's I can read up on?

Thanks Greg

"Greg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for some advice on HRM's
>
> I've been training for a while with one and notice on longer rides (around 100kms) with various
> hills - my Average HR sits at around 85%
>
> Is this normal? I'm not pushing too hard and this seems to be aweful high
> ride at for 3hrs +
>
> What are other peoples Av HR's? Should the Average drop the fitter you
get?

> Any good links / info / books on HRM's I can read up on?

Do you know what your MaxHR is? If you are just using the calculated value from the HRM it may be
way off to start out with.

--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

Greg wrote:

> I'm looking for some advice on HRM's
>
> I've been training for a while with one and notice on longer rides (around 100kms) with various
> hills - my Average HR sits at around 85%
>
> Is this normal? I'm not pushing too hard and this seems to be aweful high to ride at for 3hrs +
>
> What are other peoples Av HR's? Should the Average drop the fitter you get?
>
> Any good links / info / books on HRM's I can read up on?
>
> Thanks Greg

Your HR will drop the fitter you are. Your HR will also be influenced by genetics. I am 45, and can
still hit/maintain a peak HR of 200-205 for a 40K TT. My Avg HR, when in the middle of the
road/track season, will be near 172 for long road rides of 3+ hours.

Joe Friel's book has a good section that relates to setting up and testing you Max HR and evaluating
your HR Zones. If you want a really accurate measure of HR, find a coach in your area and have them
perform a Wingate and a Conconi test. The WIngate will measure your strength on bike, and the
Conconi will measure your LRT (Lactate Threshold).

Joe
--

Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting

"Greg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for some advice on HRM's
>
> I've been training for a while with one and notice on longer rides (around 100kms) with various
> hills - my Average HR sits at around 85%
>
> Is this normal? I'm not pushing too hard and this seems to be aweful high to ride at for 3hrs +
>
> What are other peoples Av HR's? Should the Average drop the fitter you get?
>
> Any good links / info / books on HRM's I can read up on?

Depends on what you want. I've done 3+ hr rides at over 90% max HR, not pleasant, but a heck of a
workout. Some people "zone" train, with a very structured program of frequency, duration and heart
rate, there are many books that go into great detail. When I used a HRM, I followed Ed Burke's,
among others. Not sure I would recommend that today.