Training with HRM"s

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

I'm looking for some advice on HRM's

I've been training for a while with one and notice on longer rides (around 100kms) with various
hills - my Average HR sits at around 85%

Is this normal? I'm not pushing too hard and this seems to be aweful high to ride at for 3hrs +

What are other peoples Av HR's? Should the Average drop the fitter you get?

Any good links / info / books on HRM's I can read up on?

Thanks Greg

"Greg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for some advice on HRM's
>
> I've been training for a while with one and notice on longer rides (around 100kms) with various
> hills - my Average HR sits at around 85%
>
> Is this normal? I'm not pushing too hard and this seems to be aweful high
to
> ride at for 3hrs +
>
> What are other peoples Av HR's? Should the Average drop the fitter you
get?
>
> Any good links / info / books on HRM's I can read up on?
>

Do you know what your MaxHR is? If you are just using the calculated value from the HRM it may be
way off to start out with.

--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

Greg wrote:

>
> I've been training for a while with one and notice on longer rides (around 100kms) with various
>
> Is this normal? I'm not pushing too hard and this seems to be aweful high to ride at for 3hrs +
>
> What are other peoples Av HR's? Should the Average drop the fitter you get?
>
>
> Thanks Greg

Your HR will drop the fitter you are. Your HR will also be influenced by genetics. I am 45, and can
still hit/maintain a peak HR of 200-205 for a 40K TT. My Avg HR, when in the middle of the
road/track season, will be near 172 for long road rides of 3+ hours.

Joe Friel's book has a good section that relates to setting up and testing you Max HR and evaluating
your HR Zones. If you want a really accurate measure of HR, find a coach in your area and have them
perform a Wingate and a Conconi test. The WIngate will measure your strength on bike, and the
Conconi will measure your LRT (Lactate Threshold).

Joe
--

Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting
fee of $500.00 U.S. E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms. Consult
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html> for details.

"Greg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Is this normal? I'm not pushing too hard and this seems to be aweful high to ride at for 3hrs +
>
> What are other peoples Av HR's? Should the Average drop the fitter you get?
>

Depends on what you want. I've done 3+ hr rides at over 90% max HR, not pleasant, but a heck of a
workout. Some people "zone" train, with a very structured program of frequency, duration and heart
rate, there are many books that go into great detail. When I used a HRM, I followed Ed Burke's,
among others. Not sure I would recommend that today.

Status
Not open for further replies.