Training with minor chest cold

Geoff2010

Apr 17, 2004
just wondering what everyone's take on this is? I have a pretty minor chest cold with a minor (not too wheezy, not too wet) cough. I felt a bit achy yesterday, so I took the day off. Taking today off as well.

I am not sure I can not ride over the weekend... that may just drive me crazy. Could going out and riding my bike make this worse, or could it just make it a miserable experience?

Geoff2010 said:
just wondering what everyone's take on this is? I have a pretty minor chest cold with a minor (not too wheezy, not too wet) cough. I felt a bit achy yesterday, so I took the day off. Taking today off as well.

I am not sure I can not ride over the weekend... that may just drive me crazy. Could going out and riding my bike make this worse, or could it just make it a miserable experience?
30 years ago, my coach told me that I should continue training unless I had a temp. I've pretty much stuck to that and never had any problems from using that standard. Actually, as long as I'm not light headed or anything like that, I generally feel better while training.

Geoff2010 said:

A good rule of thumb, if your viral symptoms are mainly in head, no pun intended, i.e. stuffy nose, sneezing, you can do some aerobic activity and it actually helps stimulate the immune system If your symptoms go to the chest, or you have a fever or are achy, stay home. You need the energy to get better. Take high Vit C and Zn doses (should have loose stools). Immunostimulatory.