Training with power for someone who will not be racing

Fizzy23

Mar 20, 2005
Hello,

I have been tossing around the idea of buying a powertap so that i can train by power.

My question is: do I need a powertap or SRM? Would something like a Ciclosport Hac4 be plenty for someone like myself who will not race professionally but would like to train like this?

Your help is appreciated!1

Bob

sounds like a waste of money to me. If you want more bling then go ahead...

Fizzy23 said:
I have been tossing around the idea of buying a powertap so that i can train by power.

My question is: do I need a powertap or SRM? Would something like a Ciclosport Hac4 be plenty for someone like myself who will not race professionally but would like to train like this?
There are definite advantages to training with power. It basically comes down to making better use of training time because you are able to more precisely track progress and target adaptations. A HAC4 is a waste of money because the power data are unreliable. It shouldn't be called a "power meter" because it isn't a power meter in the class of SRM, PT, Ergomo, Polar. The iBike is a significantly more elaborate implementation of the concepts embodied in the HAC and shows some promise, but early reports suggest that it gives no or unreliable power data for significant parts of a ride (e.g., due to road vibration). I'd say it's a bit early to invest in an iBike (just my opinion). The Polar is an inexpensive option if you already have the computer. If you don't then it's not such an inexpensive option. You might want to consider a used PT Pro. The only drawback to the PT Pro is its water proofing. If you don't ride in the rain much, that could work well for you. You can probably find a sound PT Pro for a few hundred US dollars. Buying a PM has nothing to do with whether you plan to race. It has to do with how effectively you want to use your training time.

RapDaddyo said:
There are definite advantages to training with power. It basically comes down to making better use of training time because you are able to more precisely track progress and target adaptations. A HAC4 is a waste of money because the power data are unreliable. It shouldn't be called a "power meter" because it isn't a power meter in the class of SRM, PT, Ergomo, Polar. The iBike is a significantly more elaborate implementation of the concepts embodied in the HAC and shows some promise, but early reports suggest that it gives no or unreliable power data for significant parts of a ride (e.g., due to road vibration). I'd say it's a bit early to invest in an iBike (just my opinion). The Polar is an inexpensive option if you already have the computer. If you don't then it's not such an inexpensive option. You might want to consider a used PT Pro. The only drawback to the PT Pro is its water proofing. If you don't ride in the rain much, that could work well for you. You can probably find a sound PT Pro for a few hundred US dollars. Buying a PM has nothing to do with whether you plan to race. It has to do with how effectively you want to use your training time.
Thank you for the sound advice!! I work for a cyclist and i am coming up on a 5 year anniversary and I get to pick a gift for myself. I am leaning towards the PT SL 2.4 on some DT Swiss. I thinkk I will definitely benefit by going this route. By the way the gift is 2 g or under otherwise I would probably go the route of the SRM.

Fizzy23 said:
Thank you for the sound advice!! I work for a cyclist and i am coming up on a 5 year anniversary and I get to pick a gift for myself. I am leaning towards the PT SL 2.4 on some DT Swiss. I thinkk I will definitely benefit by going this route. By the way the gift is 2 g or under otherwise I would probably go the route of the SRM.
If you don't already have it, you should order a copy of Hunter Allen's and Andy Coggan's recently released book, "Training and Racing with a Power Meter." There is an entire chapter on the different power meter technologies. Plus, you'll know exactly what to do with a PM once you get one. It will be the best <$20 investment you ever made in cycling. With that endorsement, one would think that I have something to gain by promoting the book. I don't!:D

If you have no goals, and do not race, I'd say it is pretty useless.

Some people merely have training goals and never race, perhaps that is where a PM may be useful if it motivates you.

Fizzy23 said:
Hello,

Bob
Don't let these guys talk you out of it Bob. I don't race either and I bought a used PT PRO on EBAY 2 years ago. This year I bought the cycling peaks software and the "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" and I've made big strides in reaching my fitness goals. My FTP went from 182 to 247 this summer and I'm still getting stronger even though I'm well over the hill. Instead of riding just to ride, each ride now has a purpose and is much more enjoyable. If you love to ride and your somewhat analytical, you won't regret buying one(although your riding partners may as you start dropping them when things heat up).

Bike N Ski said:
Don't let these guys talk you out of it Bob. I don't race either and I bought a used PT PRO on EBAY 2 years ago. This year I bought the cycling peaks software and the "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" and I've made big strides in reaching my fitness goals. My FTP went from 182 to 247 this summer and I'm still getting stronger even though I'm well over the hill. Instead of riding just to ride, each ride now has a purpose and is much more enjoyable. If you love to ride and your somewhat analytical, you won't regret buying one(although your riding partners may as you start dropping them when things heat up).
Very wise investment decisions! And great progress! Cheers.:D

To echo RapDaddyO, get the book first and read it. It is an outstanding book and you will learn in excruciating detail all the different information you can learn from your PM if you really use the thing.

Armed with that knowledge, you can decide if a) your want one still and b) what option will work best for you. After reading the book I decided I needed PM like an added hole in my head. The $20 I spent on the book helped save my over a grand buying something that I just wouldn't use effectively enough to justify. I did pick up some ideas for my current program that I wil lbe implementing without the PM.

You might read it and decide it's what you want and will use, but at least you'll head into the purchase fully informed.

Enjoy!

I don't have much to add to the collective wisdom here, but let me say this:

"Do not race" does not mean "have no goal". Even if someone thinks it's useless to improve your FTP when you don't race, your "personal" goal is yours only, not theirs. So never mind what the narrow-minded people tell you. Just go for it!

Bike N Ski said:
So BNS, I take it from what you're saying you're approaching your 80th birthday - right?;) TYSON

Fizzy23 said:
Hello,

Bob

I LOVE my power tap. I am now making a workout plan for the winter based on my data. Some of the best data I got from track workouts. If you are a gadget freak, and I am not actually, (( I once threw a heart rate monitor across a parking lot I got so mad at it)) But this thing is EASY to use and fast to put on your bike.