Training with Type 1 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by wkndwarur, Mar 28, 2006.

1. wkndwarur

wkndwarur New Member

I have been mountain biking for about 2 months now. I am only able to go 1 to 2 times a week. I have been doing this just for the exercise and enjoying the outdoors. My friends and I have decided to do a race that is coming up at the end of April. I am very excited and thought this might push me to do train harder. My problem is I am concerned about my blood sugar during the race. I have been known to have low blood sugar while riding and it happens so quickly.
    I would like to know if there is anyone out there that has any techniques on drink to put in your camel back to help keep you hydrated and enough sugar to keep you from going too low? or quick snacks that you can carry, eat and ride?
    Do not want to have to stop during race. I will be riding for approx. 2 hours.
    Thanks for any input.

Tags:

2. ridewright

ridewright New Member

How long have you been type one?
    what shape are you in overall?
    how does your glucose level react to different foods during excersize?
    pump or shots?
    are you able to recognize when you are droping in time to react?
    can you avoid over reacting?
    what kind of course?
    I have never raced, but I have been riding about 10 years, the last 8 of which I have been type one.
    I am leary of adding sugar or gatoraid to my waterbag, need to have one or the other, but if your glucose is high and all you have to drink is more sugar that could be a problem.
    you might try two bladders, one water, one a mix, or a water bottle filled with gatoraid.
    I also like to carry fast acting and slower acting foods, halloween sized candy bars, granola bars, pay attention to the sugar content on the label.
    if using a pump, try cutting the does in half, or just not wearing it during the race.
    if all this is new to you, you might consider not pushing hard, just pace yourself and try to finish. or learn more about how you react to the combination of hard exersize and different foods, and try for a race further down the road.

3. ridewright

ridewright New Member