Training With Weights

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Top Dog, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Top Dog

Top Dog New Member

Does training with weights in a Gym improve your fitness for cycling ..... do long distance and professional cyclists train with weights ???

Tags:

2. MY02_STi

MY02_STi New Member

Read the thread 'gyming to improve power' in this section and the (re) ask the question ;) ....... (if you're really brave :eek: )

3. BlueIcarus

BlueIcarus New Member

OMG!!!

Here we go again!!! :D

4. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

LOL Some people are so bloody lazy when it comes to reading, there are 24 pages above his post on weight training and cycling. Maybe he has heavy eye lids and has difficulty in looking up. :D Tyson

LOL Some people are so bloody lazy when it comes to reading, there are 24 pages above his post on weight training and cycling. Maybe he has heavy eye lids and has difficulty in looking up. :D Tyson

On second thoughts, I think I'll answer his question.

Yes, training with weights will improve your cycling no end, because your legs will become so strong.

No, weight training is a total waste of time and leg strength has nothing to do with power and speed attainable on the bike.

Large biceps and pecs will impress the ladies but will have zero effect on other cyclists and your cycling unless you have an upper body weakness..

Take your pick. I know which I have opted for. I haven't done a single leg rep in the gym since I joined these forums and (for many years before that) and the Killing me thread speaks for itself.

5. Top Dog

Top Dog New Member

Sorry folks i am new to cyclingforums.com ...now i see the thread ''gyming to improve power'' thank you

6. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

No probs Top Dog. You are completely forgiven, and welcome to the forums. :D Tyson

7. BlueIcarus

BlueIcarus New Member

Sorry too, Top Dog. No pun intended.
    It's just a common joke that everyone new to this forum ask about the same question....

Large majority of professional cyclists (at least here in Spain) train with weights in the Winter, then transfer the strength/power acquired to the bike around Spring.

Is it a reason to think they are doing fine with it? I think it is not. Could be just tradition.

OTOH, my reasons to weight train (and for most folks here): muscular balance (between upper and lower body), to have a higher metabolic rate, for hormonal balance and for fun. Yes, for me it's fun. And yes, before anything happens: I'm NOT saying that this benefits are attainable only by weight training.

Andddd finally... achtung!! this is kind-of-right-wing-vs-left-wing debate, nobody is in the center

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. velomanct

velomanct New Member

Posting a title like this on this forum is like forbidden^2. LOL