training ?

gigemaggs99

Jul 6, 2003
So I'm looking at the The Cyclists Training Bible by Joe Friel and it has road base period for someone under 50 years of age.

See: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/training-and-nutrition-plans/training-plans/joe-friel.aspx?l=3599

My question is, this plan says "This plan is intended for the under-age-50 cyclist who has been racing for two or more years. To start this plan you should be able to train about 8 hours a week."

What plan am I supposed to do if I'm not there yet?

Last week I road 83.59 miles in 5 hours and 59 mins. I road 5 days last week.

Where do I find a program for me? Or should I just keep riding and not worry about a program?

I'd say just keep riding, and stop worrying about a "plan". The canned programs you read in books are really just generic outlines, and require tailoring for each of us. After all, the category "under-50 cyclist who's been racing for two or more years" covers a pretty big group.....

IMO, 100 miles a week is plenty if you're in your first season or two of riding, but you can ride as much or as little as you like. As you get more experience, you'll know when you're tired and need a recovery day as opposed to another ride or training session.

Suggest you find a group to ride with whenever possible. You'll develop skills, train harder, and likely have more fun....just be careful when you get in that big pack of Aggies:)

dhk2 said:
I'd say just keep riding, and stop worrying about a "plan". The canned programs you read in books are really just generic outlines, and require tailoring for each of us. After all, the category "under-50 cyclist who's been racing for two or more years" covers a pretty big group.....

IMO, 100 miles a week is plenty if you're in your first season or two of riding, but you can ride as much or as little as you like. As you get more experience, you'll know when you're tired and need a recovery day as opposed to another ride or training session.

Suggest you find a group to ride with whenever possible. You'll develop skills, train harder, and likely have more fun....just be careful when you get in that big pack of Aggies:)

Thank you to everyone that has answered. It all sounds like good advice. I enjoy riding and I want to keep it that way.

Gig 'Em!

dhk2 said:
I'd say just keep riding, and stop worrying about a "plan". The canned programs you read in books are really just generic outlines, and require tailoring for each of us.
Our plans are tailored.