Tram tracks finally got me

Gags

Guest
After 4 and a half years of riding in Melbourne I finally had a stack on the
tram tracks tonight. Just as I left work it absolutely ****** down with
rain for about 5 minutes or so and everything got pretty wet. I cut through
between the MCG and Rod Laver arena as per usual then got up to Wellington
Parade and went to cross over the tram tracks. I made it over the first set
OK and the first track of the second set.....I then rode along the tracks
for a bit until a gap in the traffic and then went to cut over to the left
hand side of the road. A combination of wet tracks, worn tyre, not enough
angle of approach, and accelerating to get across the road resulted in my
rear tyre sliding out from under me to the right!!! I ended up on my bum in
the middle of the road and my bike skidded all the way across the lane and
an empty parking spot and into the gutter (luckily there was no parked car
there). I got up really quickly to get off the road as there was a car
coming and jumped on the bike again. It wasn't until I got around the
corner that my leg, fingers, and arm started to hurt a bit.

I stopped to take stock of the situation and it turns out I got off pretty
lightly. Because the ground was so wet I pretty well skidded and only ended
up with a bit of road rash on my upper left shin, slightly tingly fingertips
(not scraped enough to graze them though) and a bit of a bump to my left
forearm. I was initially pretty concerned about this as it was the same arm
I broke about 18 months ago but it feels fine now so I assume I got away
with it. Most importantly the bike came out OK with only a bit of
scratching on the handlebar plug and the LHS of the rear quick release.
There was also a slight graze on the LH rear of the seat but it is not too
bad (I think the wet road reduced the overall damage).

To make it worse, I had a near miss earlier in the week when the rear tyre
(a really worn 26 x 1.5 IRC Metro Slick) slipped on the tram tracks but I
caught it before I fell off - I went into Peter Moore last night and bought
a new set of Schwabb 26 x 1.75 tyres but didn't get around to fitting them
last night (they are still hanging in the shed).

Oh well......I just hope I can go at least another 4.5 years before that
happens again!!!

Gags

On Aug 2, 7:53 pm, "Gags" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh well......I just hope I can go at least another 4.5 years before that
> happens again!!!
>
> Gags

That is my pattern, always a few years between track incidents.

I can remember 4 notable incidents (3 offs and one ooooh **** moment)
in the last 13 years, so I guess you are doing better than me1

On 2007-08-02, Gags (aka Bruce)
> I stopped to take stock of the situation and it turns out I got off pretty
> lightly. Because the ground was so wet I pretty well skidded and only ended
> up with a bit of road rash on my upper left shin, slightly tingly fingertips
> (not scraped enough to graze them though) and a bit of a bump to my left
> forearm. I was initially pretty concerned about this as it was the same arm
> I broke about 18 months ago but it feels fine now so I assume I got away
> with it. Most importantly the bike came out OK with only a bit of
> scratching on the handlebar plug and the LHS of the rear quick release.
> There was also a slight graze on the LH rear of the seat but it is not too
> bad (I think the wet road reduced the overall damage).

In my copious testing, I have found that fortunately, wet roads are
quite frictionless. Well, less fortunately in that you go down in the
first place.

--
TimC
Television: A medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well done.

Gags said:
After 4 and a half years of riding in Melbourne I finally had a stack on the tram tracks tonight.

Welcome..! To the club :)

I have only had 1 incident, so now I have said that, I am sure another 1 is literally just around the corner.... at least there were minimal people around to share the amusement with.

Gags said:
After 4 and a half years of riding in Melbourne I finally had a stack on the
tram tracks tonight.

Oh well......I just hope I can go at least another 4.5 years before that
happens again!!!

Gags

Good to hear you are OK. It's a horrible feeling. I have gone down a few times but my worst fright was to get both wheels stuck in a track, then bounce out into the oncoming stream of traffic going down Toorak Rd in the dark one evening. Somehow every thing missed me and I ended up against the far curb, upright but rather shaken.

Keep an eye on them for the next few weeks.

RoryW

I haven't managed tram tracks yet but I did have a diagonal expansion joint
on a bridge throw me under a truck once. Fortunately the traffic was heavy
enough that the truck wasn't moving.

tram tracks got me back in circa '83.
propping to do righthand turn and at about 2kph got front wheel stuck, panicked and went over the front in slo-mo and stuck hand out to brace the fall.

It's those big steel plates 'they' put down as temporary covers for road works that really scre the bejeezus outta me in the wet.
With tram tracks (assuming good angle of approach) at least it's only a momentary slippy thing. 6-10ft of it is like riding on ice... :eek:

On Aug 2, 10:07 pm, flyingdutch <flyingdutch.2uo...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> tram tracks got me back in circa '83.
> propping to do righthand turn and at about 2kph got front wheel stuck,
> panicked and went over the front in slo-mo and stuck hand out to brace
> the fall.
>
> It's those big steel plates 'they' put down as temporary covers for
> road works that really scre the bejeezus outta me in the wet.
> With tram tracks (assuming good angle of approach) at least it's only a
> momentary slippy thing. 6-10ft of it is like riding on ice... :eek:
>
> --
> flyingdutch

But you usually go straight over those, tram tracks get me when I
flick into them or back out while essentially riding parallel to them,
tne you have to flick across to get around a parked/parking car or
back and then you are instantly on your butt/shoulder/back first into
a parked truck (for example!).

Gags wrote:

> After 4 and a half years of riding in Melbourne I finally had a stack on the
> tram tracks tonight. Just as I left work it absolutely ****** down with
> rain for about 5 minutes or so and everything got pretty wet. I cut through
> between the MCG and Rod Laver arena as per usual then got up to Wellington
> Parade and went to cross over the tram tracks. I made it over the first set
> OK and the first track of the second set.....I then rode along the tracks
> for a bit until a gap in the traffic and then went to cut over to the left
> hand side of the road. A combination of wet tracks, worn tyre, not enough
> angle of approach, and accelerating to get across the road resulted in my
> rear tyre sliding out from under me to the right!!! I ended up on my bum in
> the middle of the road and my bike skidded all the way across the lane and
> an empty parking spot and into the gutter (luckily there was no parked car
> there). I got up really quickly to get off the road as there was a car
> coming and jumped on the bike again. It wasn't until I got around the
> corner that my leg, fingers, and arm started to hurt a bit.
>
> I stopped to take stock of the situation and it turns out I got off pretty
> lightly. Because the ground was so wet I pretty well skidded and only ended
> up with a bit of road rash on my upper left shin, slightly tingly fingertips
> (not scraped enough to graze them though) and a bit of a bump to my left
> forearm. I was initially pretty concerned about this as it was the same arm
> I broke about 18 months ago but it feels fine now so I assume I got away
> with it. Most importantly the bike came out OK with only a bit of
> scratching on the handlebar plug and the LHS of the rear quick release.
> There was also a slight graze on the LH rear of the seat but it is not too
> bad (I think the wet road reduced the overall damage).
>
> To make it worse, I had a near miss earlier in the week when the rear tyre
> (a really worn 26 x 1.5 IRC Metro Slick) slipped on the tram tracks but I
> caught it before I fell off - I went into Peter Moore last night and bought
> a new set of Schwabb 26 x 1.75 tyres but didn't get around to fitting them
> last night (they are still hanging in the shed).
>
> Oh well......I just hope I can go at least another 4.5 years before that
> happens again!!!
>
> Gags

Here in Canberra several years ago the Labour politicians were trying to
promote cycling as a
means ppl should use to get to work and back.
They spent a tidy sum on installing bcycle lanes on many roads,
and I am very grateful, because it made the riding on such roads MUCH
safer, although many motorists have never forgiven these politicians.
The Lanes have attracted only a small number of cyclists.

The reason why these bicycle lanes are nearly empty most of the day
and thus so objectionable to the unforgiving motorists is that
**** happens.

I reckon that if the number of ppl cycling to/from work increased 300
times
so that bicycle traffic was a substantial fraction of the traffic, and
obviously necessitated the cycle lanes,
then the number of hospitals would beed to be doubled by the amount of
**** happening.
In your case its because you ride a bicycle, because the weather was
wet, and because there are tram tracks.

In my case a month back it was because a head stem fractured, and I lost
steering,
and down i went like a bag of potatoes off the back of a truck.

There is a constant stream of people who come to grief coming off bikes
and thus the vast majority of ppl wouldn't dare ride one.

Having said all that I will still ride for pleasure,
and luckily I am able to, and there are bike paths off and away from
roads, and there
are no trams.

I remember Sydney's trams and rode a motorcycle when trams still
existed,
and luckily I never came to grief of the tracks in the wet.

Patrick Turner.

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:07:22 +1000
flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's those big steel plates 'they' put down as temporary covers for
> road works that really scre the bejeezus outta me in the wet.
> With tram tracks (assuming good angle of approach) at least it's only a
> momentary slippy thing. 6-10ft of it is like riding on ice... :eek:

In NSW those things are required to have non-slip surfaces. If you
see one that doesn't, ring up the RTA and report same as a road
hazard.

Zebee

On 2007-08-02, Gags <[email protected]> wrote:
> After 4 and a half years of riding in Melbourne I finally had a stack on the
> tram tracks tonight.o

<SNIP>

You're a true melbourniern cyclist now! My incident was on the St.
Georges Road roundabout, I was heading home from work with full panniers
and a guitar on muy back, rear wheel got caught as I turn left into the
inside lane of St. Georges road. I stayed on somehow, but inspection of
the bike when i got home showed four broken spokes!

Cheers (and safe riding!)

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

Joel Mayes wrote:
> On 2007-08-02, Gags <[email protected]> wrote:
>> After 4 and a half years of riding in Melbourne I finally had a stack on the
>> tram tracks tonight.o

> <SNIP>
>
> You're a true melbourniern cyclist now! My incident was on the St.
> Georges Road roundabout, I was heading home from work with full panniers
> and a guitar on muy back, rear wheel got caught as I turn left into the
> inside lane of St. Georges road. I stayed on somehow, but inspection of
> the bike when i got home showed four broken spokes!
>
> Cheers (and safe riding!)
>
> Joel

Ok but more importantly, how was the guitar?

DaveB

PiledHigher said:
On Aug 2, 10:07 pm, flyingdutch <flyingdutch.2uo...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> tram tracks got me back in circa '83.
> propping to do righthand turn and at about 2kph got front wheel stuck,
> panicked and went over the front in slo-mo and stuck hand out to brace
> the fall.
>
> It's those big steel plates 'they' put down as temporary covers for
> road works that really scre the bejeezus outta me in the wet.
> With tram tracks (assuming good angle of approach) at least it's only a
> momentary slippy thing. 6-10ft of it is like riding on ice... :eek:
>
> --
> flyingdutch

But you usually go straight over those, tram tracks get me when I
flick into them or back out while essentially riding parallel to them,
tne you have to flick across to get around a parked/parking car or
back and then you are instantly on your butt/shoulder/back first into
a parked truck (for example!).

Whitehorse Road going down hill from Union Rd is always very interesting with the tram super-stops meaning one has to cross tram tracks at a very acute angle and usually at speed so as to keep up with traffic. I bunny-hop over the tracks but in mid-air often wonder if I have timed it right. So far so good.

Pat

DaveB wrote:
> > You're a true melbourniern cyclist now! My incident was on the St.
> > Georges Road roundabout, I was heading home from work with full panniers
> > and a guitar on muy back, rear wheel got caught as I turn left into the
> > inside lane of St. Georges road. I stayed on somehow, but inspection of
> > the bike when i got home showed four broken spokes!

> > Cheers (and safe riding!)

> Ok but more importantly, how was the guitar?

That was my first thought too! I was expecting that story to end with
"Afterward, I could only ever play flat notes on that guitar." ;-)

BTH

BT Humble said:
DaveB wrote:
> > You're a true melbourniern cyclist now! My incident was on the St.
> > Georges Road roundabout, I was heading home from work with full panniers
> > and a guitar on muy back, rear wheel got caught as I turn left into the
> > inside lane of St. Georges road. I stayed on somehow, but inspection of
> > the bike when i got home showed four broken spokes!

> > Cheers (and safe riding!)

> Ok but more importantly, how was the guitar?

That was my first thought too! I was expecting that story to end with
"Afterward, I could only ever play flat notes on that guitar." ;-)

BTH
4 1/2 years is not bad considering the first time my mate came to Melbourne from Perth he lasted all of 100m down the road before coming a cropper on the tram tracks. And they werent even wet!

Gags said:
After 4 and a half years of riding in Melbourne I finally had a stack on the tram tracks tonight.... snip

Gags

They got me the day before "Round the Bay" last year. I'd traveled 4,000km to ride the ride and the tracks got me at the end of an early moning cycle right outside Hungry Jacks in Swanson St, in front of a crowd of stoned goths. Skidded 10m and got some pretty nasty road rash on my leg and a rainbow coloured arm for weeks... Bike had a little skuff on the bar tape as I had the presence of mind to hold it off the ground while still clipped in feet while sliding accross the tarmac.

BTW.. too sore to do the ride the next day:(

Maybe there should be a Tram Track Crash club :rolleyes:

::dom:: wrote:
> Gags Wrote:
>> After 4 and a half years of riding in Melbourne I finally had a stack on
>> the tram tracks tonight.... snip
>>
>> Gags

> They got me the day before "Round the Bay" last year. I'd traveled
> 4,000km to ride the ride and the tracks got me at the end of an early
> moning cycle right outside Hungry Jacks in Swanson St, in front of a
> crowd of stoned goths. Skidded 10m and got some pretty nasty road rash
> on my leg and a rainbow coloured arm for weeks... Bike had a little
> skuff on the bar tape as I had the presence of mind to hold it off the
> ground with still clipped in feet while sliding accross the tarmac.
>
> BTW.. too sore to do the ride the next day:(
>
> Myabe there should be a Tram Track Crash club :rolleyes:

WA football legend Barry Cable was doing a charity ride from Albany to
Perth when he came off while crossing a railway line in Bridgetown.

Dorfus

On 2007-08-02, DaveB <[email protected]> wrote:
> Joel Mayes wrote:
>> On 2007-08-02, Gags <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> After 4 and a half years of riding in Melbourne I finally had a stack on the
>>> tram tracks tonight.o

>> <SNIP>
>>
>> You're a true melbourniern cyclist now! My incident was on the St.
>> Georges Road roundabout, I was heading home from work with full panniers
>> and a guitar on muy back, rear wheel got caught as I turn left into the
>> inside lane of St. Georges road. I stayed on somehow, but inspection of
>> the bike when i got home showed four broken spokes!
>>
>> Cheers (and safe riding!)
>>
>> Joel
>>

> Ok but more importantly, how was the guitar?
>
> DaveB

Guitar was fine, my pants on the other hand...

Cheers

Joel

--

::dom:: said:
They got me the day before "Round the Bay" last year. I'd traveled 4,000km to ride the ride and the tracks got me at the end of an early moning cycle right outside Hungry Jacks in Swanson St, in front of a crowd of stoned goths. Skidded 10m and got some pretty nasty road rash on my leg and a rainbow coloured arm for weeks... Bike had a little skuff on the bar tape as I had the presence of mind to hold it off the ground while still clipped in feet while sliding accross the tarmac.

BTW.. too sore to do the ride the next day:(

Maybe there should be a Tram Track Crash club :rolleyes:

How freaked out would those goths have been?