Transam on a Moped

Stan

Guest
When I retire in two years, I plan to ride the Virginia-Oregon Transam route on my Vision R54
recumbent bike. My wife would like to share in the adventure, and I very much want to include her.

The problem: she has bad knees. She's had arthroscopic surgery twice on each knee. Her doctor says
the next operation will be a joint replacement. So, cycling across the country is out of the
question for her.

My brilliant (?) solution is to buy her a motor scooter, AKA moped -- something with a 50 cc engine
such as a Yamaha Zuma. It's pretty quiet, and compatible with my 12 MPH pace. As a bonus (for me),
we could get her a trailer to carry the heavier gear.

Question #1: Has anyone had any experience with such a "mixed marriage"? Any "gottchas"?

Question #2: Would she be unwelcome at "Ride Across . . ." or "Tour de
. . ." events even if she registered as a rider? It would seem that, legally, she could join me on
public roads, but would this be poor biking etiquette? We'd like to participate in tours such as
this, but not if people would take offense at a moped in their midst.

Why not just get a tandem i.e. Greenspeed (with the ability to transform into a solo ride Tadpole)
and add a Gas Engine powered rear (push) trailer. Problem with the Yamaha is that it is a Motorcycle
and most States take a dim view of riders doing only 12 mph. A more creative approach would be use
an Electric Pancake motor i.e. an E-Tek (in) your back wheel and pull an AC/DC gas generator in the
trailer. This gives you a very fast trike with mega torque and U can use the generator for creature
comforts on the road like a CD player, cellphone charger, hairdryer, tent heater etc. and b4 anyone
asks: E-TEK is made by Briggs & Statton and is rated at 7 Hp. steady with 12 Hp. peak. This motor is
true overkill. Such a motor can power a small car on the highway, so on a bent tandem it will climb
mountains.
"Stan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> When I retire in two years, I plan to ride the Virginia-Oregon Transam route on my Vision R54
> recumbent bike. My wife would like to share in the adventure, and I very much want to include her.
>
> The problem: she has bad knees. She's had arthroscopic surgery twice on each knee. Her doctor says
> the next operation will be a joint replacement. So, cycling across the country is out of the
> question for her.
>
> My brilliant (?) solution is to buy her a motor scooter, AKA moped -- something with a 50 cc
> engine such as a Yamaha Zuma. It's pretty quiet, and compatible with my 12 MPH pace. As a bonus
> (for me), we could get her a trailer to carry the heavier gear.
>
> Question #1: Has anyone had any experience with such a "mixed marriage"? Any "gottchas"?
>
> Question #2: Would she be unwelcome at "Ride Across . . ." or "Tour de
> . . ." events even if she registered as a rider? It would seem that, legally, she could join me on
> public roads, but would this be poor biking etiquette? We'd like to participate in tours such as
> this, but not if people would take offense at a moped in their midst.

I think that the fact of you making this inqiry means that you are WELL on the way to being accepted
by a group of cycle tourists.

not if people would take offense at a moped in their midst. <<<<<<<<<<

Maybe if your wife did not plan to actually be ' in the midst ' of a group of riders, it would work
out better.

No disrespect intended.

Lewis.

http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

[email protected] (Stan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> When I retire in two years, I plan to ride the Virginia-Oregon Transam route on my Vision R54
> recumbent bike. My wife would like to share in the adventure, and I very much want to include her.
>
> The problem: she has bad knees. She's had arthroscopic surgery twice on each knee. Her doctor says
> the next operation will be a joint replacement. So, cycling across the country is out of the
> question for her.
>
> My brilliant (?) solution is to buy her a motor scooter, AKA moped -- something with a 50 cc
> engine such as a Yamaha Zuma. It's pretty quiet, and compatible with my 12 MPH pace. As a bonus
> (for me), we could get her a trailer to carry the heavier gear.
>
> Question #1: Has anyone had any experience with such a "mixed marriage"? Any "gottchas"?
>
> Question #2: Would she be unwelcome at "Ride Across . . ." or "Tour de
> . . ." events even if she registered as a rider? It would seem that, legally, she could join me on
> public roads, but would this be poor biking etiquette? We'd like to participate in tours such as
> this, but not if people would take offense at a moped in their midst.

Actually, most states regulate mopeds as unique vehicles. Check the moped laws in the states where
you are considering using it. As to using the moped on organized rides, you are correct. Except
under special circumstances, you can not be denied lawful use of a public highway. However, many
join organized rides to ESCAPE motorized vehicles. There is also the issue of engine exhaust greatly
annoying nearby cyclist. I applaud the honest intention of your idea. I would suggest that an
electric vehicle may be found much less objectional by fellow riders. No noise, no noxious exhaust
fumes, very much like a HPV.

hmmmm...don't think Ni-MH batteries have gotten to the point Ucan drive Virginia to Oregon. An easy
and low cost solution to the Zuma that would NOT pissoff too many cyclists would be to use a regular
bent, i.e. an EZ-1 and stick a Honda GSX31cc, 1.5 Hp. 4 stroke on the bent. Someone in Yahoo
"Power-Assist" mentioned he has such a bent on ebay now and there are at least 2 bent riders using
this NG with the same EZ-1/GSX31cc combination. I know the GSX31cc is quiet compared to weed whacker
motors like the Mitsubishi and Ryobi 2 stroke bike kits. Also if your wife prefers to ride a
Tadpole, there is a chap in the USA who builds Tadpoles (that look an awful lot like a Stein Road
Shark) and he mounts the Honda GSX31cc in the trike. I cannot remember his website address beyond
the name "Doyle1957" or something like that. I also seem to remember the price of the trike and
motor combination being around $2900. usd. ->I have to bookmark sites more often.
----------------------
news:[email protected]...

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> Also if your wife prefers to ride a Tadpole, there is a chap in the USA who builds Tadpoles (that
> look an awful lot like a Stein Road Shark) and he mounts the Honda GSX31cc in the trike. I cannot
> remember his website address beyond the name "Doyle1957" or something like that. I also seem to
> remember the price of the trike and motor combination being around $2900. usd. ->I have to
> bookmark sites more often.

You might also look at http://www.staton-inc.com/

Randy N.

Nah....stick with the Doyle Trike, Staton makes every bike look like there is a chainsaw on it. The
Doyle is clean and maintains the CG with the Honda midship behind the slingseat and in front of the
rear triangle. Custom colors and accessories to suit the pilot.....Gee maybe I should hit Doyle for
some P.R. cash for all this. Really is a good 4 stroke powered trike though. Oh Yeah, most of
Staton's motors are 2 stroke and this means pre-mixing Outboard Motor Oil with Gasoline and that is
a pain in the backside...especially in States void of lakes and don't sell oil for Boat Motors.