Transfer WKO license

Doggus

May 16, 2005
Possible to transfer a WKO license to another machine? I want to download and run on a company laptop but don't want to give up a Franklin should I move on to another company.

Doggus said:
Possible to transfer a WKO license to another machine? I want to download and run on a company laptop but don't want to give up a Franklin should I move on to another company.
Have you asked the supplier?

Usually they enable people to move licence across to another machine, e.g. I did when I last upgraded my PC.

Alex Simmons said:
Have you asked the supplier?

Usually they enable people to move licence across to another machine, e.g. I did when I last upgraded my PC.
In a round-a-bout way.

Since I couldn't find the issue on their forum I figured I'd post in a likely place they'd see it.

Seems like if they let you move a license, they should let me if I ever need to.

Thx.

Doggus-

You will need to buy a 2nd copy at 1/2 off to run on a second computer.
Sorry, we have had so many people try to pirate our software that we had to institute a strict anti-piracy program within WKO to make sure we didn't go out of business!
If you do move to another company, then you can email our support team
[email protected] and let them know this situation and they will help you transfer the license to a new computer.

Hope this make sense.
Hunter

Doggus said:

Hunter w/kg said:
Doggus-

You will need to buy a 2nd copy at 1/2 off to run on a second computer.
Sorry, we have had so many people try to pirate our software that we had to institute a strict anti-piracy program within WKO to make sure we didn't go out of business!
If you do move to another company, then you can email our support team
[email protected] and let them know this situation and they will help you transfer the license to a new computer.

Hope this make sense.
Hunter
I'm looking to buy WKO+, but my biggest concern is use on my laptop at home or when i'm travelling for work, i take my work laptop. Or if I go to my coach (who doesn't have WKO+ yet) to show him the data.

Can I install WKO+ into a Virtual PC image, stored on a USB stick and just boot the Virtual PC image and run the app? I found nothing in the terms and conditions against this kind of use.

Sorry, it won't run on a USB stick. It won't install.

Your coach should have a copy of WKO+ or he's not training you with power!
Get him on the train!

For traveling, just buy a second copy at 1/2 off and you are set at home and away.

Hunter

parawolf said:
I'm looking to buy WKO+, but my biggest concern is use on my laptop at home or when i'm travelling for work, i take my work laptop. Or if I go to my coach (who doesn't have WKO+ yet) to show him the data.

Can I install WKO+ into a Virtual PC image, stored on a USB stick and just boot the Virtual PC image and run the app? I found nothing in the terms and conditions against this kind of use.

Hunter w/kg said:
Sorry, it won't run on a USB stick. It won't install.

Your coach should have a copy of WKO+ or he's not training you with power!
Get him on the train!

For traveling, just buy a second copy at 1/2 off and you are set at home and away.

Hunter
I think you will find it will install. it will be installed inside of a functional version of windows XP, which is running off the USB stick. To the Application, it looks like it is running of C:\

It would be the same if I ran VMWare Fusion on an Apple Mac laptop to run WKO+ 2.2.

oh, that's just lovely. Guess, I'll need to spend another $50k to prevent that from happening. Jeez, everyone thinks that pirating software is so funny.
When you mortgage your house, put your butt on the line every day and feed your family and a few other families from a small software business, piracy is stealing to me.
I think I am going to come up with a bummer sticker that says, "Copying software is called Stealing".
Ugh.
thanks for making my night.
Hunter

parawolf said:
I think you will find it will install. it will be installed inside of a functional version of windows XP, which is running off the USB stick. To the Application, it looks like it is running of C:\

It would be the same if I ran VMWare Fusion on an Apple Mac laptop to run WKO+ 2.2.

Hunter w/kg said:
oh, that's just lovely. Guess, I'll need to spend another $50k to prevent that from happening. Jeez, everyone thinks that pirating software is so funny.
When you mortgage your house, put your butt on the line every day and feed your family and a few other families from a small software business, piracy is stealing to me.
I think I am going to come up with a bummer sticker that says, "Copying software is called Stealing".
Ugh.
thanks for making my night.
Hunter

Dude, seriously, how is this PIRATING software? There is nothing exclusionary in the Terms of Use... so if you don't want it, just change those. I'm not violating anything, i'm just using the software for myself. You are not suffering a loss here, i'm still buying the software, i'm just using technology to maximise MY use of the software.

Don't give me the ***** about putting your butt on the line every day about developing software, as I come from a software development background. Just keep your terms of use up to date about correct and appropriate 'licenced use' for your intellectual property.

Changing terms of use now.
Will be updated by tomorrow, along with working on provisions inside the software to prevent this in the future.
Thanks again for pointing out this flaw.

Hunter

parawolf said:
Dude, seriously, how is this PIRATING software? There is nothing exclusionary in the Terms of Use... so if you don't want it, just change those. I'm not violating anything, i'm just using the software for myself. You are not suffering a loss here, i'm still buying the software, i'm just using technology to maximise MY use of the software.

Don't give me the ***** about putting your butt on the line every day about developing software, as I come from a software development background. Just keep your terms of use up to date about correct and appropriate 'licenced use' for your intellectual property.

Hunter w/kg said:
Changing terms of use now.
Will be updated by tomorrow, along with working on provisions inside the software to prevent this in the future.
Thanks again for pointing out this flaw.

Hunter
No probs :)

The consult fee will be in the mail :D

Shame I won't be able to use it how I want to, but I guess that is the problem with getting to use someone elses IP; bound to their licencing restrictions.

Just kicking myself for not buying the software earlier when the Aussie dollar was stronger. It's 30% more expensive now than 6 months ago.

Yeah wouldn't want anybody to use their copy of the software they paid you for on their computer. Better force them to buy a second copy for no reason at all and claim it is due to "piracy" :rolleyes:

Less restricitive or Free Software (go read up on GPL) is going to eat your lunch pal.
Enjoy your monopoly while you can.:p

3rensho said:
Yeah wouldn't want anybody to use their copy of the software they paid you for on their computer. Better force them to buy a second copy for no reason at all and claim it is due to "piracy" :rolleyes:

Less restricitive or Free Software (go read up on GPL) is going to eat your lunch pal.
Enjoy your monopoly while you can.:p
That's a bit rough. Hunter is free to determine the nature of licencing for his (excellent) niche product. And the market is free to make its choice. But free software it ain't.

I can think of 5 other software providers in similar space (power meter download/analysis, some of which are freeware), so I think Hunter is well aware of the competition.

Alex Simmons said:
That's a bit rough. Hunter is free to determine the nature of licencing for his (excellent) niche product. And the market is free to make its choice. But free software it ain't.

I can think of 5 other software providers in similar space (power meter download/analysis, some of which are freeware), so I think Hunter is well aware of the competition.
He most certainly is, but he should at least be aware of how similar actions in the past cost many a software company in the long term. Installing software (that you have paid for) onto a usb key so you can run it on two separate computers you own is not piracy. Plenty of seat based licenses do not restrict this considering the software is only running on one computer at any given time. His first reaction was to cry piracy which (in my mind) is not the kind of reaction you should expect from someone you just gave a hundred bucks to for software, especially if you are a paying customer.

My opinion and 10 cents will buy you a 10 cent cup of coffee.

Edit: Considering I just shelled out some hard earned cash for his and Andy's book it is disappointing to see such a reaction to a rational user request. I develop free software under GPL myself and get all kinds of irrational hatred thrown my way so don't misconstrue my criticism as such. Nobody was talking about stealing anything they just wanted to use the software they paid for.

parawolf said:

In my experience it will run off the memory stick but only on the computer you have the license for. I'm not able to install my own software on my work laptop, so my workaround was to install WKO+ onto a memory stick via my home computer, then run it on my work laptop and put the authorisation code into the work laptop. It runs fine.

But, it won't run on my home computer if I put the memory stick back in there. Only on the machine where I put the authorisation code in. (well, it will run, but only until it asks for a new authorisation code)

It does seem a shame that you can't run it on any machine via a stick, effectively a dongle. But there you go, it's an invaluable piece of software and my £££-worth of Powertap wheels would be worthless without it.

Also, the support is excellent, and if you're genuinely moving it from one machine to another (I'm helpless as to when my work are going to decide to upgrade my laptop) they'll sort it out for you straight away.

3rensho said:
Edit: Considering I just shelled out some hard earned cash for his and Andy's book it is disappointing to see such a reaction to a rational user request.
3rensho, I had a similar reaction at first, and had typed a similar response which I deleted rather than posting. Upon further deliberation I realized that it would be unfair to judge WKO+ using the same standards as I would for a larger software company. For such a small-niche product, the resources required to allow a certain amount of creativity on the part of the users while still protecting the IP of the developers is probably onerous.

To be clear, however, the response to the reasonable (original) request was that "yes, the customer support folks will assist in transfering a legitimately purchased license to a new computer" if the old computer becomes unusable. That is similar to the way Microsoft handles their product activations if your computer melts down and you need to re-install the software on a new computer. Hopefully that helps clear up any disappointment.

I think stating that policy up-front in a friendly, supportive way before getting into the piracy, copy-protection, and single-user vs single-seat issues would have come across better and might keep people from looking for creative ways to use the software.

3rensho said:
Edit: Considering I just shelled out some hard earned cash for his and Andy's book

Mostly as an aside: I hope you realize that 95+% of what you paid for that book went to the publisher, and not to Hunter or myself.

rob of the og said:
It does seem a shame that you can't run it on any machine via a stick, effectively a dongle. But there you go, it's an invaluable piece of software and my £££-worth of Powertap wheels would be worthless without it.

Also, the support is excellent, and if you're genuinely moving it from one machine to another (I'm helpless as to when my work are going to decide to upgrade my laptop) they'll sort it out for you straight away.

My bet, is that it would install on the freeware (from Microsoft) Virtual PC. Install the Virtual PC application on both your home and laptop or home and work pc. Then put the Virtual PC disk image on your USB stick (an 8Gbyte Windows ReadyBoost stick would be fine) and then run WKO+ from inside the Virtual PC image. It means that the WKO+ licence and the Operating System Image are 'together' and portable between physical end points. Technically the computer is the virtual machine, not the physical machine.

If you ran VMWare Player and VMWare Fusion, or VirtualBox, etc... you could transfer your WKO+ & WinXP image from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, Linux, etc.... and the application would just work. Even the adapters can work through serial emulation.

I run SRM Win on my work laptop within Virtual PC. I'm not allowed to install applications with the Host Operating System as per security standards, but i'm allowed to have Virtual PC installed and I have an Image for my non-standard apps which include SRMWIN. I can download from my PCV and USB cable no problems. Performance is more than adequate.

acoggan said:
Mostly as an aside: I hope you realize that 95+% of what you paid for that book went to the publisher, and not to Hunter or myself.
Amazing isn't it that people seem to think that people like yourself shouldn't be paid for putting together a book that helps them out and then somehow think that they're doing you a favour by buying your book - especially considering the amount of work, tests, data collection etc etc that went into writing what you did. I don't get it either...

I can see the original posters point about installing on a memory stick to allow for transfer of the application and it does sound like a great idea however it does lend itself to software piracy. I'm sure that the original poster wouldn't like to shell out another $100 for a product that would allow for installation on a USB memory stick but came with an anti-piracy "dongle" that plugged into a USB or parrallel port.

Maybe people should read the terms and conditions of the licensing agreement before getting a little ticked off on a forum ;)

<sigh>.... I also had some comments typed about how people should not post their creative ideas on how to use the software in unintended ways, but I assumed that (too) went without saying. We shouldn't really talk out of both sides of our mouths by criticizing developers for not allowing their work to be more flexible, and then openly posting the specifics on how to exploit their work.

So, I guess Hunter did not get the terms of use updated today like he said he was going to yesterday? Or are we just ignoring them now? :mad:

swampy1970 said:
I can see the original posters point about installing on a memory stick....
That wasn't the OP's point at all. That was a work-around for the security measures that was posted by a 'helpful' respondant.