Transformation info

Wwest

Guest
I am rather new to cycling, and have an older Univega Alpina Country that I won in a contest about
12 years ago. I think that particular model was at the time considered a hybrid bike with the
crowbar handlebars and the knobby tires. I am wondering if I could reasonably turn this into a road
bike by replacing the knobby tires with road tires and replacing the handlebars with the curved road
bars, brake/shifter combination, etc. Would it be cost-effective to do so? I just recently bought a
Trek 4500 to accomodate the all-around riding that I am presently doing, but want something
specifically for road use and faster speeds than the Trek I have. Thanks in advance for any advice!

In article <[email protected]>,
wwest <[email protected]> wrote:
>I am rather new to cycling, and have an older Univega Alpina Country that I won in a contest about
>12 years ago. I think that particular model was at the time considered a hybrid bike with the
>crowbar handlebars and the knobby tires. I am wondering if I could reasonably turn this into a road
>bike by replacing the knobby tires with road tires and replacing the handlebars with the curved
>road bars, brake/shifter combination, etc.

You could make that change, although it wouldn't really make it a "road bike".

> Would it be cost-effective to do so?

No.

> I just recently bought a Trek 4500 to accomodate the all-around riding that I am presently doing,
> but want something specifically for road use and faster speeds than the Trek I have. Thanks in
> advance for any advice!

I would consider changing the tires and nothing else. The tires are the item that will make the
biggest improvement and cost the least.

--Paul

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Sr1Db.39064$A%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, wwest <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I am rather new to cycling, and have an older Univega Alpina Country that
> >won in a contest about 12 years ago. I think that particular model was
at
> >the time considered a hybrid bike with the crowbar handlebars and the
knobby
> >tires. I am wondering if I could reasonably turn this into a road bike
by
> >replacing the knobby tires with road tires and replacing the handlebars
with
> >the curved road bars, brake/shifter combination, etc.

[snip]

> I would consider changing the tires and nothing else. The tires are the item that will make the
> biggest improvement and cost the least.

I agree with Paul. Tire change is cheap and easy. You could also put bar ends on the straight bars,
giving you a few more hand positions, another easy and relatively inexpensive change. The rest is
more trouble and money than it is worth it.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

In article <Sr1Db.39064$A%[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Paul Southworth) writes:
> In article <[email protected]>, wwest <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I am rather new to cycling, and have an older Univega Alpina Country that I won in a contest about
>>12 years ago. I think that particular model was at the time considered a hybrid bike with the
>>crowbar handlebars and the knobby tires. I am wondering if I could reasonably turn this into a
>>road bike by replacing the knobby tires with road tires and replacing the handlebars with the
>>curved road bars, brake/shifter combination, etc.
>
> You could make that change, although it wouldn't really make it a "road bike".

An interesting coincidence -- I was just looking at this page:
http://briandesousa.com/bicycling/tech/convert.htm

Brian DeSousa's account of his MTB -> touring bike conversion. He gives much detailed description,
complete with cost breakdowns.

cheers, Tom