Transition 1: Shoes on or off?

Jim Gosse

Guest
Just looking for advice. Do most people leave their shoes on the bike like the pros, and run
barefoot to the mounting area, or do they put on the shoes, and then run the bike to the
mounting area.

I have new shoes with speedplay pedals. I can't imagine running in them.

--
Jim Gosse Technician, Wave Tank 737-3221 [email protected]

I usually leave my shoes on the bike and run barefoot. It takes a wee bit of practice, but worth it I think. I wouldn't risk ruining your new shoes.

cj

Originally posted by Jim Gosse
Just looking for advice. Do most people leave their shoes on the bike like the pros, and run
barefoot to the mounting area, or do they put on the shoes, and then run the bike to the
mounting area.

I have new shoes with speedplay pedals. I can't imagine running in them.

--
Jim Gosse Technician, Wave Tank 737-3221 [email protected]

>Just looking for advice. Do most people leave their shoes on the bike like the pros, and run
>barefoot to the mounting area, or do they put on the shoes, and then run the bike to the
>mounting area.

Jim, I use speedplays too. I do T1 both ways depending on the length of the run. If it is only a
short distance, I put shoes on 1st. If a longer distance, I put shoes on bike and run barefoot.

Good Luck! David Never give up, Be satisfied w/ your best, Do unto others.....

Thanks Dave.

Just wondering if there are any tricks for keeping the shoes upright on the pedals, or if you just
make due with them the way they are?

Jim

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Just looking for advice. Do most people leave their shoes on the bike
like
> >the pros, and run barefoot to the mounting area, or do they put on the shoes, and then run the
> >bike to the mounting area.
>
> Jim, I use speedplays too. I do T1 both ways depending on the length of
the
> run. If it is only a short distance, I put shoes on 1st. If a longer distance, I put shoes on bike
> and run barefoot.
>
> Good Luck! David Never give up, Be satisfied w/ your best, Do unto others.....

>>Just wondering if there are any tricks for keeping the shoes upright on the pedals, or if you just
>>make due with them the way they are?
>>
>>Jim

Elastic bands. One end on the shoe somehow, one end on the bike somehow. Snip 'em halfway through to
make 'em break easier. Stops your shoes dragging on the ground while running long transition with
bike (two junior elites lost shoes due to this at a recent event here). STF (transition practice
tomorrow...)

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (David) wrote:

> the heel of the shoe and then around the skewer on the rear wheel. You just step on that shoe in
> that horizontal position, take a couple cranks then put your foot in. The rubber band breaks on
> its own and you don';t have to worry about it.

Time penalty for littering!!!

:)

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

Harold Buck wrote:

> Time penalty for littering!!!

Good point. But not if you do it right. It's all in the elastic bands I tell you :) Stu

Thanks All

I am in training for the Corner Brook Tri. This is run in conjunction with the World Cup Event. Many
of the pros consider this the toughest race on the circuit. I'll put the advice to good work

"Jim Gosse" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just looking for advice. Do most people leave their shoes on the bike like the pros, and run
> barefoot to the mounting area, or do they put on the shoes, and then run the bike to the
> mounting area.
>
> I have new shoes with speedplay pedals. I can't imagine running in them.
>
> --
> Jim Gosse Technician, Wave Tank 737-3221 [email protected]

Just make sure you practice extensively before you race with your shoes pre-clipped into the pedals.
One of the most dangerous and ridiculous parts of T1 is all those people weaving dangerously back
and forth across the bike start, staring at their feet, and paying no attention to anyone nearby.

Cathy

On Tue, 6 May 2003 09:08:41 -0230, "Jim Gosse" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just looking for advice. Do most people leave their shoes on the bike like the pros, and run
>barefoot to the mounting area, or do they put on the shoes, and then run the bike to the
>mounting area.
>
>I have new shoes with speedplay pedals. I can't imagine running in them.

That's a good point. However, I usually don't have a problem with a lot of people leaving transition
at the same time I do. And not because I am out in front.

Looking forward to first race of the season. Less than a month away.

Jim

"Cathy Corning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just make sure you practice extensively before you race with your shoes pre-clipped into the
> pedals. One of the most dangerous and ridiculous parts of T1 is all those people weaving
> dangerously back and forth across the bike start, staring at their feet, and paying no attention
> to anyone nearby.
>
> Cathy
>
> On Tue, 6 May 2003 09:08:41 -0230, "Jim Gosse" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Just looking for advice. Do most people leave their shoes on the bike
like
> >the pros, and run barefoot to the mounting area, or do they put on the shoes, and then run the
> >bike to the mounting area.
> >
> >I have new shoes with speedplay pedals. I can't imagine running in them.

It depends whether its an uphill start or not. I can roll and get into my shoes on a flat, but
uphill is hard for me so I don't do it. Glad to see Cathy's still around this newsgroup.

Ray

--
| Beer Truck | ||'|"\,___.

"Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them."
- Albert Einstein