Transition from Mtn/ Hybrid to road bike

littleman624

Aug 4, 2010
I currently own a Hybrid style bike(steel frame) with 24''x 1.95'' tires. My crankset is a triple (48/40/30t) with a 5 speed rear cassette(28-14t). I intend to purchase a Mercier Galaxy AL(aluminum frame & carbon fork) that features 700x23c tires, a triple crankset(52/42/30t) and an 8 speed cassette(28-11t). I understand that the greater gear ratio and larger tires may take a while to adjust to and I was wondering if there was anything i could do to train for this difference before i get the bike.

littleman624 said:
I currently own a Hybrid style bike(steel frame) with 24''x 1.95'' tires. My crankset is a triple (48/40/30t) with a 5 speed rear cassette(28-14t). I intend to purchase a Mercier Galaxy AL(aluminum frame & carbon fork) that features 700x23c tires, a triple crankset(52/42/30t) and an 8 speed cassette(28-11t). I understand that the greater gear ratio and larger tires may take a while to adjust to and I was wondering if there was anything i could do to train for this difference before i get the bike.

I found the main difference in chainging from Mb to road is that is seems more aerobic in riding. Its not so much crunch through your gears and heavy pedling, to more finding a good relaxed easy rythm which you can stick with. The only way I could suggest in trying to experience it is to cycle on your granny ring along a straight road, relying more on rythm rather than quick bursts of power.