transpennine trail advice : kids mileage and accommodation

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Feb 4, 2006.

  1. I'm planning a family trip on the transpennine trail
    (Liverpool-Hull-Hornsea-Hull) for the summer with my two daughters aged
    9 and 14. The girls are averagely fit but their cycling experience so
    far is limited to occasional short local rides. I plan to get them
    used to longer rides between now and the summer but I want to get the
    accommodation booked now on the suspicion that it will be a bit thin on
    the ground in some places. So I need to plan the stopovers without
    first hand expeience of what sort of mileage I could reasonable expect
    the girls to handle. The stopovers I had in mind would see us doing
    the following daily mileages - 26, 30, 21 (fair bit of climbing on this
    day), 28, 36, 30, 30. Can anyone help me with an opinion on whether
    that will be a comortable(ish) target for 9 and 14 year old girls?

    Also, if anbody is able to recommend any good family and cycle friendly
    B&Bs on the route then I'd really appreciate it.

    Thanks in advance.

    Frank.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I'm planning a family trip on the transpennine trail
    > (Liverpool-Hull-Hornsea-Hull) for the summer with my two daughters aged
    > 9 and 14. The girls are averagely fit but their cycling experience so
    > far is limited to occasional short local rides. I plan to get them
    > used to longer rides between now and the summer but I want to get the
    > accommodation booked now on the suspicion that it will be a bit thin on
    > the ground in some places. So I need to plan the stopovers without
    > first hand expeience of what sort of mileage I could reasonable expect
    > the girls to handle. The stopovers I had in mind would see us doing
    > the following daily mileages - 26, 30, 21 (fair bit of climbing on this
    > day), 28, 36, 30, 30. Can anyone help me with an opinion on whether
    > that will be a comortable(ish) target for 9 and 14 year old girls?

    At age 13 I was certainly happily cycling up to about 40 miles a day on
    an old and heavy bike. 30 miles per day is only about three hours in the
    saddle, even at kids' cycling speeds, and it can easily be broken up
    with picnic stops. Provided they've got reasonable bikes I would think
    so. If when you get to the point they're up for going further, you can
    always plan some optional detours.

    ;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately
    ;; 99% of users are using the 1% of browsers that can...
    [seen on /. 08:04:02]

  3. Paulmouk

    Paulmouk Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm planning a family trip on the transpennine trail
    > (Liverpool-Hull-Hornsea-Hull) for the summer with my two daughters aged
    > 9 and 14. The girls are averagely fit but their cycling experience so
    > far is limited to occasional short local rides. I plan to get them
    > used to longer rides between now and the summer but I want to get the
    > accommodation booked now on the suspicion that it will be a bit thin on
    > the ground in some places. So I need to plan the stopovers without
    > first hand expeience of what sort of mileage I could reasonable expect
    > the girls to handle. The stopovers I had in mind would see us doing
    > the following daily mileages - 26, 30, 21 (fair bit of climbing on this
    > day), 28, 36, 30, 30. Can anyone help me with an opinion on whether
    > that will be a comortable(ish) target for 9 and 14 year old girls?
    >
    > Also, if anbody is able to recommend any good family and cycle friendly
    > B&Bs on the route then I'd really appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Frank.

    Can't help with accommodation but distance should be OK.
    My son did 50 miles three days in a row when he was nine.
    He had only cycled in the local park until then.
    Mind you, that distance on the road got him quite bored and it was the
    thought of playing football with other kids at the youth hostels that kept
    him going.

    Paul.

  4. Simon, Paul,

    Thanks very much for the replies. I'm feeling a bit more confident
    about the mileages now.

    Cheers, Frank