Plodder said:After many years in Aus I still can't get used to not being able to walk
down the road a little to grab a coffee or nip to the local corner shop. I
detest the centralisation of business (in the CBD) and shopping (in
shopping centres). Contrast that to small shops mixed in with living
places; there is little or no street life in most Aus cities.
There used to be thousands of little corner shops, 'milk bars' 20 years
ago. Many times I was sent off on my pushie to go get <X> from the shop.
The rise of the all-encompassing supermarket destroyed them, and is
continuing to do so. Huge shopping centres more-so. Every time you visit
a remote shopping complex over your local skopkeepers it's helping this
decline. Sure you might save half an hour, but spend that in petrol,
stress and local-decline.
I lament the loss of good shopping, now it's a sterilised homogenised
experience. Uber-market Tuggerah has exactly the same stores as
Uber-market Erina, Paramatta, and Bourke. No more variety, nor adventure.
Hmmm, I think I need to go for a ride.
-kt
--
Kingsley Turner,
http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions