Transporting a bike

Simon Brooke wrote:

> I use a spare wheel mounted rack, which is of course more vertical than
> hatchback mounted racks, and thus more like a towbar mounted rack.
> Previously I've used a towbar mounted rack. On the whole both are very
> good. The advantage of the towbar rack is it's very solidly mounted on
> the car; the disadvantage is you can't open the back door. The
> advantage of the spare wheel mount is you can open the back door, and
> the disadvantage is that it can (unless strapped very tightly) rotate
> around the wheel.

A word of warning. The bolt mounting points holding a Discovery wheel
to the rear door are not that strong. I discovered one day that two of
them were corroded and close to pulling through. So take care and take
the spare wheel off every now and again to check the mounting points are
structurally sound. I don't know about other cars with rear mounted
wheels but I imagine many of them are similar and not necessarily
designed to have a load of bikes bouncing around on them.

You can get towbar mounted racks that fold down out of the way so you
can get in the door.

Tony

>The advantage of the towbar rack is it's very solidly mounted on
> the car; the disadvantage is you can't open the back door.

Depends upon model. The one The Unfit Family uses does indeed allow for
opening of the boot due to tilting mechanism of the rack. It's a very useful
feature :)

Cheers, helen s

TrailRat wrote:
> I was wondering the groups preferance to getting a bike from A to B
> over a long distance in a short time.

<snip>

> So what is everyone elses opinion on this topic?

Fold down seats. Insert 2 muddy mountain bikes into the boot with the seats
down, drive to middle of nowhere, put front wheels back on bikes, ride, put
2 muddier mountain bikes back into the car, drive home.