Transporting bike OS

Sasha

Guest
Hi, I would be interested in hearing anyones story of transporting their
bike overseas through the normal airline cargo hold route. How did you
transport it- bag, box etc? Did the bike suffer any damage? What was the
airlines policy re carrying bikes? etc. I am going to Europe for a few
months in April- will be based in Stuttgart Germany and later in Belguim,
and would like to drag my Orbea road bike across to take advantage of the
Euro summer, and so my bike can visit its home town :) I would be
interested in hearing anyones experience with the above.

Also, uno clothing in Elwood is selling a bike transport soft bag for a very
cheap $90. Can anyone comment of the quality of this bag, or other soft
bags? Would probably prefer to avoid a hard case becaue of the weight.

Sasha

Sasha wrote:
> Hi, I would be interested in hearing anyones story of transporting their
> bike overseas through the normal airline cargo hold route. How did you
> transport it- bag, box etc? Did the bike suffer any damage? What was the
> airlines policy re carrying bikes? etc. I am going to Europe for a few
> months in April- will be based in Stuttgart Germany and later in Belguim,
> and would like to drag my Orbea road bike across to take advantage of the
> Euro summer, and so my bike can visit its home town :) I would be
> interested in hearing anyones experience with the above.
>
> Also, uno clothing in Elwood is selling a bike transport soft bag for a very
> cheap $90. Can anyone comment of the quality of this bag, or other soft
> bags? Would probably prefer to avoid a hard case becaue of the weight.
>
> Sasha

Taken mine many times Sydney London using a Qantas bike box - no trouble
although Qantas now count the bike as part of your luggage weight
(although it seems to be down to the check in attendant.
Flew London - Spain just in a plastic bag, back wheel came out pear
shaped. Bordeaux London, not wrapped at all, no problems. If you can
manage the cardboard box I think it is best, low weight, fair
protection. You do not seem to be able to get those boxes in London so
you can either store it somewhere or get a smaller box form a bike shop.
KLM have (had) enormous boxes you could leave both wheels on!
You are right about the weight of a hard case being a problem.

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell