Transporting track bikes

Discussion in 'Track Racing' started by 886014, Feb 11, 2008.

1. 886014

886014 New Member

Hi guys, I'm just getting my first track bike (see Beginer's Track bike thread, prob get the Raceline) and was wondering about transporting it. I use roofracks for my road bikes where the forks are locked in via a quick release skewer and the rear wheel fits in a trough. Is the front wheel hub spacing the same on track bikes? Also, obviously the track bikes don't have quick release skewers and I'll need a spanner (or 2??) to release/tighten the front wheel. What size would this/these spanner be? If, for some reason I can't put it on the roof I should be able to take BOTH wheels off and sit it on the back seat but clearly that will be a hassle.

Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm hoping to pick up the bike from the shop on Thursday and go straight on to Dunc Gray to ride it, so I'm trying to anticipate all the things I'll need to take from home in order to set it up. Apart from pedals and my kit, is there anything else I may have overlooked?

Thanks for the help.

Tags:

2. ride4him

ride4him New Member

I have a Specialized Langster, I know that this is not a "track" bike but it is a fixedgear/singlespeed and i use a Thule roof rack. The front bolts are 15mm which yours should be also.

3. CELLbikes

CELLbikes New Member

If you're still wondering about the front spacing, yes, it's the same (100mm).

From my experience traveling to T-Town in PA, a roof rack is the way to go, just either use a bike bra or a taped up garbage bag to keep the bugs off and to keep the grease being blown out of anything!

Cheers!

4. 886014

886014 New Member

Thanks guys. All sorted, bought an Apollo Raceline 08 model which has changed quite a bit actually, external BB etc, a bit more familiar to what I am used to on my road bikes.

Unfortunately on the way to DG velodrome on Friday the car's petrol gauge malfunctioned, instead on 1/4 tank as shown I had NOTHING! So my first ride of the bike was around the streets of Sydney with a fuel can in my hand :(

5. CELLbikes

CELLbikes New Member

Jeez mate, sorry to hear about the malfunctioning fuel gauge! Some of us sometimes have at least a litre of fuel with us (usually 5 litres) in case we or anyone else runs into trouble on the road.

One of my New Years resolutions is to start track cycling again, so maybe I'll see you up there!