Travel Agent: Canti to V-brake conversion

Wasja

Mar 6, 2004
How to thread the cable?
I have bought 2 travel agents and am aware of some disadvantages their use might bring, but I have decided to use them. However, they arrived without instructions, and, although I do all my own bike work and ain't too stoopid, I can't immediately envision how the cable is supposed to be threaded through them. Obviously the cable has to pass over both the larger and the smaller pulley, but how? Through which hole should the cable enter the contraption, and how does it make the transition from one pulley to the other? Call me names, but please help me with this question!
Thanks in advance,
Wasja

Wasja said:
How to thread the cable?
I have bought 2 travel agents and am aware of some disadvantages their use might bring, but I have decided to use them. However, they arrived without instructions, and, although I do all my own bike work and ain't too stoopid, I can't immediately envision how the cable is supposed to be threaded through them. Obviously the cable has to pass over both the larger and the smaller pulley, but how? Through which hole should the cable enter the contraption, and how does it make the transition from one pulley to the other? Call me names, but please help me with this question!
Thanks in advance,
Wasja

I'm sorry - but what's a travel agent? pic or link perhaps?

Wasja said:
How to thread the cable?
.. I can't immediately envision how the cable is supposed to be threaded through them. Obviously the cable has to pass over both the larger and the smaller pulley, but how? Through which hole should the cable enter the contraption, and how does it make the transition from one pulley to the other?

Cambriabike had a better pic, but their website isn't working properly. I've got a set of instructions at home, so I'll get back to you if I've gotten this wrong...

Look at http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=69&subcategory=1015&sku=12761&brand= for a pic.

The whole contraption should be placed so that the connecting hole between inner/outer pulley is in a two o'clock position when the cable entrance hole (s) into the travel agent is vertical.
If you've got the sort that also can be used instead of a noodle but wants the travel agent function, then the cable should enter through the hole that's aligned with the circumference of the inner pulley.
The cable should then loop around the inner pulley 1/2 turn before diving down through the connecting hole to go round the outer puller roughly 3/4 turn before taking off to the other leg of the v-brake.

Thanks for your reply! I get the picture, even without a picture. I tried a dry run of threading the cable, and I see now how it works, but I also see that the cable is bent quite tightly, which may make it prone to premature wear. It should serve the purpose, though.
Greetings, Wasja

Wasja said:
...I also see that the cable is bent quite tightly, which may make it prone to premature wear.
The instructions I gave you are correct, I checked out the assembly description this weekend.
I wouldn't worry about wear (in the bend) too much, since you're only bending it at assembly, and not at every move. Maybe, maybe it can cause trouble eventually if you have to fiddle a lot with that part of the set-up. But I've never seen a cable snap without fraying a bit first, so if you're uncertain watch for that.

Good luck!