Travel Bag Or Case ???

steelem

Sep 22, 2007
Hi all travellign abroad in the next couple of weeks & wanna take my 2 grannd bike on the long haul - not sure whether to go with the cheaper option of a travel bag or should i go for a case - any suggestions would be grateful

this is easy...workin at the airport and seein how luggage is really handled..case..no doubts. it may be heavier...but it's definitely safer!

If you can afford it, a hard case is the way to go for ultimate peace of mind. Having said that though, I use a Sci-Con soft case (I'm poor :eek: ) and have crossed the Pacific many times, never had any problems, even with the gorilla luggage-handlers. However, if you decide to go the soft case route, what I do is line the sides with a layer of cardboard and bubble-wrap around wheels and other fragile parts. Also, don't forget to put an axle in the front and rear dropouts (the sci-con case has them built-in), plus something to protect the rear derailleur (again, the sci-con case has a roll-bar type of thingy that keeps it from being squashed). Keep tools and other things that can move aroound in the bag in smaller bags with bubble wrap, that way if they get loose they won't scratch/bang up your frame...the handlers at security nowadays tend to take things out and put them back in any which way they want :mad: interestingly enough, I've never had this problem with Japanese handlers - other airlines take note!

BikingBrian said:
If you can afford it, a hard case is the way to go for ultimate peace of mind. Having said that though, I use a Sci-Con soft case (I'm poor :eek: ) and have crossed the Pacific many times, never had any problems, even with the gorilla luggage-handlers. However, if you decide to go the soft case route, what I do is line the sides with a layer of cardboard and bubble-wrap around wheels and other fragile parts. Also, don't forget to put an axle in the front and rear dropouts (the sci-con case has them built-in), plus something to protect the rear derailleur (again, the sci-con case has a roll-bar type of thingy that keeps it from being squashed). Keep tools and other things that can move aroound in the bag in smaller bags with bubble wrap, that way if they get loose they won't scratch/bang up your frame...the handlers at security nowadays tend to take things out and put them back in any which way they want :mad: interestingly enough, I've never had this problem with Japanese handlers - other airlines take note!

I have the Sci-Con soft case, too, the Aero 53 Plus. It provides excellent protection, with zero bike or wheel damage incurred so far.