Traveling-how Do You Ship Your Bike?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by D_Schist, Jun 9, 2015.

1. D_Schist

D_Schist New Member

Hello,

I've signed up for a ride in Washington D.C. area for late August. I'm trying to figure out best and cheapest way to get my bike to D.C.

I'm flying from Houston BTW.

Cheers

Tags:
    haleylx4 likes this.

2. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Renting a bike at you destination may be cheaper and less hassle.

Otherwise you need a airline approved bike shipping box or carrier. You can probably get a used box from a local bike shop.

3. ZXD22

ZXD22 Member

If the distance is close enough let's say 200 miles or less, I'd probably drive it up there in my car. If its more, renting would be a more liable option. Unless your bike if really attached to you and has a ton of mods, consider arial transportation.

4. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Well-Known Member

Shipping a bike is a process.
    Talk to your LBS, typically they will offer a bike shipment service.
    My friend just used one to ship his bike from Canada to New Zealand.
    The shop did everything, they boxed it up and arranged shipment. Plus they can get a better rate since they deal with the transport companies often.

5. qerymick5

qerymick5 New Member

The cheapest way might be use of bike shipping companies. There are various bike transporting service inside US. One of my favorite is citizenshpper [site]. They ship in less price than others with safety.
    Here are some additional tips and suggestion for shipping a bike:-

If there is other labels on the box especially with any kind of bar code use a black permanent marker and mark out the bar code and numbers if you can not remove or cover them up.

Make sure you use good padding to protect the product and not so much that it bulges the box to much.

When you tape the label on it use clear packing tape and cover it up completely so that it will be protected from the weather.

6. xosta

xosta New Member

I invested too much in my bike to rent another bike. Therefore, in such cases, I refuse planes or trains and rent RVs.

7. Billius

Billius New Member

I am used to transporting all my belongings and other property with the help of my van, which also has solar panels. Battery chargers that work with solar panels help me stay in comfort even when I'm away from civilization with tents. Such trips are very interesting. I advise you to read more information on the subject on the Internet.

8. JIMMY FLETCHER

JIMMY FLETCHER New Member

I'm really worried about my bike accident with a car...:confused:

Corrlinks

9. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Might just be easier to ride your bike from Houston to DC. :D

10. Deproll

Deproll New Member

In 2018 I travelled to India from New York. My bike was shipped by DHL international shipping and I received it at my rental apartment in India one day after I arrived. Of course it was not cheap but I don't regret it.

11. Deproll

Deproll New Member

I don't know if they offer this service at the moment right now due to the corona restrictions.