Traveling on Delta with a bike



Orange Fish

New Member
Dec 2, 2004
308
0
0
42
I'm flying to Washington State on Delta for a camp, but I was looking at the baggage requirements for that airline and it says that bikes packaged in boxes that fall under the limit of 62" (lengh + width + height) are allowed in place of one piece of luggage.

However, I can't find any bike boxes out there that fit these small requirements, and on the Delta web site FAQ section they state that if you use a Delta Bike Box, you STILL won't meet the 62" requirements and will have to pay the $100 oversize charge anyway.

My question is, #1, what the hell is wrong with Delta? They obviously just want to make money on this, and
#2, does anyone know of bike boxes that fit these dimensions and don't cost $400? The tickets are already $600.
Thanks! :)
 

strummer_fan

New Member
Aug 13, 2004
239
0
0
Orange Fish said:
I'm flying to Washington State on Delta for a camp, but I was looking at the baggage requirements for that airline and it says that bikes packaged in boxes that fall under the limit of 62" (lengh + width + height) are allowed in place of one piece of luggage.

However, I can't find any bike boxes out there that fit these small requirements, and on the Delta web site FAQ section they state that if you use a Delta Bike Box, you STILL won't meet the 62" requirements and will have to pay the $100 oversize charge anyway.

My question is, #1, what the hell is wrong with Delta? They obviously just want to make money on this, and
#2, does anyone know of bike boxes that fit these dimensions and don't cost $400? The tickets are already $600.
Thanks! :)
The only bikes that fit that requirement are folding bikes:

http://www.bikefriday.com
http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/
http://www.dahon.com

and bikes that use break-apart couplings to fit into 26 by 26 by 10 suitcases.

see:

http://www.sandsmachine.com/

Ritchey also makes a Break Away bike.


And of course Delta wants to make money. They charge the same fee to ship golf clubs or a cat kennel. USAirways charged my wife $80.00 per song-bird to fly in the cabin, when both birds were in the same cage. That's the airline business, and it is getting worse. The price for bikes keeps going up.

You will have to do the same as the rest of us and either pay Delta to check your bike as luggage, or UPS it there and back.

Good Luck!
 

dgregory57

New Member
Jul 11, 2005
708
0
0
65
The pet charges get me... I got charged $80 by United for my cat, and he also counted as carry on, and was under the seat in front of me. And they made me check in at the counter for over-sized baggage because I was bringing him... Of course I found that out after waiting in the "normal" line.
 

Orange Fish

New Member
Dec 2, 2004
308
0
0
42
dgregory57 said:
The pet charges get me... I got charged $80 by United for my cat, and he also counted as carry on, and was under the seat in front of me. And they made me check in at the counter for over-sized baggage because I was bringing him... Of course I found that out after waiting in the "normal" line.
Hey you're from Wilkes-Barre! I just moved to CO from Scranton! What a small world. Did you ride in any particular group rides in the area? Anyway, the airlines suck!
 

ric_stern/RST

New Member
Nov 11, 2002
3,866
2
38
53
Hurstpierpoint
www.cyclecoach.com
Orange Fish said:
Hey you're from Wilkes-Barre! I just moved to CO from Scranton! What a small world. Did you ride in any particular group rides in the area? Anyway, the airlines suck!

DON'T FLY WITH DELTA. THEY'RE AWFUL.

We held our training camp out in St George (Utah) in January (nice place) and Delta managed to lose all our bikes and baggage on the way out, and on the way back. I've spent 4 months complaining to them, and eventually they've sent me a a $100 ticket voucher to be used against other flights in the future. However, the ticket is non-transferable, they've spelt my name incorrectly, and i can't use it to pre book a flight. In other words it's a waste of time.

We also rang up prior to our flights to book tickets and we told them about our bikes and bike boxes. They stated there was *NO* extra charge, but when we left Utah, they charged us for the bikes (thanks, glad i had a credit card with me).

Finally, to cap, their absolutely **** service -- not only was my bike delayed on the way home they broke my bike box and damaged my bike.

In short, they are the worst airline i've ever had the misfortune of flying with. they're absolutely ****, and when i complained to British Airways (who we flew out of the States back to the UK with) about the service they basically stated that lots of people complain about lost luggage with Delta.

I would never recommend that anyone flies with Delta. Apart from anything the seats are really cramped and are a DVT waiting to happen.

Ric
 

Orange Fish

New Member
Dec 2, 2004
308
0
0
42
Wow Ric, sounds like you had quite a bad experience with them. I just read this and am sitting at the Delta gate waiting for my 825 departure so I can hopefully make it out to Utah. :confused:
If I write back in a few hours with my own complaints about lost baggage, we'll all have a good story to read for a follow up! :D

ric_stern/RST said:
DON'T FLY WITH DELTA. THEY'RE AWFUL.

We held our training camp out in St George (Utah) in January (nice place) and Delta managed to lose all our bikes and baggage on the way out, and on the way back. I've spent 4 months complaining to them, and eventually they've sent me a a $100 ticket voucher to be used against other flights in the future. However, the ticket is non-transferable, they've spelt my name incorrectly, and i can't use it to pre book a flight. In other words it's a waste of time.

We also rang up prior to our flights to book tickets and we told them about our bikes and bike boxes. They stated there was *NO* extra charge, but when we left Utah, they charged us for the bikes (thanks, glad i had a credit card with me).

Finally, to cap, their absolutely **** service -- not only was my bike delayed on the way home they broke my bike box and damaged my bike.

In short, they are the worst airline i've ever had the misfortune of flying with. they're absolutely ****, and when i complained to British Airways (who we flew out of the States back to the UK with) about the service they basically stated that lots of people complain about lost luggage with Delta.

I would never recommend that anyone flies with Delta. Apart from anything the seats are really cramped and are a DVT waiting to happen.

Ric
 

alfeng

Well-Known Member
Jul 23, 2005
6,723
254
63
Orange Fish said:
I'm flying to Washington State on Delta for a camp, but I was looking at the baggage requirements for that airline and it says that bikes packaged in boxes that fall under the limit of 62" (lengh + width + height) are allowed in place of one piece of luggage.

However, I can't find any bike boxes out there that fit these small requirements, and on the Delta web site FAQ section they state that if you use a Delta Bike Box, you STILL won't meet the 62" requirements and will have to pay the $100 oversize charge anyway.
Ship the bike to yourself at the Camp's address using FedEx GROUND service ... save the box, and do the same going home.

OR, consider using TWO boxes ... one for the wheels & one for the frame, etc.
 

ric_stern/RST

New Member
Nov 11, 2002
3,866
2
38
53
Hurstpierpoint
www.cyclecoach.com
Orange Fish said:
Wow Ric, sounds like you had quite a bad experience with them. I just read this and am sitting at the Delta gate waiting for my 825 departure so I can hopefully make it out to Utah. :confused:
If I write back in a few hours with my own complaints about lost baggage, we'll all have a good story to read for a follow up! :D

hope you have better luck than me!

ric