Traveling to Belgium for a cross race?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bret Wade, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like this?
    Any logistical tips would be appreciated.

    Bret

    Tags:

  2. Bret Wade wrote:

    > So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    > my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    > Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    > watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like this?
    > Any logistical tips would be appreciated.
    >
    > Bret

    Yeah, don't take Pan Am on your way back. And ferry's are for faggots.
    Take that badass super-train that goes through the chunnel. Show your
    wife some style and buy her a diamond bracelet at Harrods. After that,
    you could pretty much pick any hole on her body for the next two weeks
    depending upon how many carats are in that bling.

    Let me know how it turns out.

    Thanks,

    Magilla Gorilla for Sale

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    > my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    > Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    > watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like this?
    > Any logistical tips would be appreciated.
    >
    > Bret

    Coming to Belgium from London is a piece of cake. Just take the
    Eurostar under the North Sea and your in Brussels in a few hours. But
    then gettin to the place where the cross is might be a bigger problem.
    I don't have an idea myself how to go from Brussels to e.g
    Asper-Gavere. The cross which is the nearest to Brussels is Diegem
    (think it was a Superprestige Cross last year) and is normally held
    somewhere in the last two weeks of the year.

    Kenny

  4. for some crosses it's handier to take the Eurostar to Lille instead of Brussels.
    eg. Lille-Ghent is <1h. by train.
    But for attending a cross somewhere in the country, renting a car for the day (eg. in Lille) might be handier than
    relying on public transport in the weekend.
    OTOH it's uncertain agencies are open on Sunday for returning the car. It's not just Europe, it's France you know.

    a look at the calendar shows there not that much top action in January, with world cup legs elsewhere.
    But Zonnebeke (22th) usually has a decent field and is bloody close to Lille. It allows you to visit the nearby
    Kemmelberg too.

    Your best choice crosswise would be Nationals on the 9th . It's in Wachtebeke, near Ghent. From Lille it can't be
    much more than an hour by car.
    For logistic reasons and stress avoidance a full weekend in Ghent might be your best choice though . There will be
    plenty of opps for London later on...

    http://www.gent.be/gent/multimedia/index.html

  5. jerry

    jerry Guest

    Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    > my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    > Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    > watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like this?
    > Any logistical tips would be appreciated.
    >
    > Bret

    Really pretty simple. I found Belgium to be very manageable with no
    language skills (my german wife always chooses to stay "home" in Koln
    and send me off on a train).

    I would think if you hit the euro train websites you could manage the
    whole thing without a car fairly easily, if you dont mind a little
    walking.

    Belgium is CHEAP, IMHO, and very low key. Not at all like Germany.
    You could find a nice, homey little hotel to stay at just by
    poking/asking around.

    Make sure you make it worth it and hit a BIG race, like a
    superprestige or a world cup. Nothing like it in cycling. Zolder
    worlds were unreal. absolutley unreal. the high point of my cycling
    related _career_

    epic. DO IT, you will not regret it.

    Just my 2 cents.

    BTW - I did Monopoli worlds with a buddy with just a train ticket, a
    backpack, and a tent! Oh, and a back pack FULL of those little booze
    shooter things that are so popular in europe.

  6. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 05:32:12 +0000, Bret Wade wrote:

    > So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    > my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    > Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    > watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like this?
    > Any logistical tips would be appreciated.

    Have a look at :
    http://www.cyclo-cross.com
    And ask for advice on the forum there.There are a number of people here in
    the English Midlands who do go over for a weekend, usually getting in 2
    races, one on Saturday afternoon, and one on Sunday.
    How old are you?
    If over 30, then you are eligible to enter the 'World Masters' event,
    which is held around 15 miles east of Antwerp toward the end of January.
    Some of my Club members do it every year.There is plenty of cheap
    accomodation in the area for the weekend, and there is usually another
    race to enter on the Sunday on the way back to the ferry.
    Be warned though - the Belgians are bloody good, no matter how old they
    are!
    Alan.

    http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

  7. MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote in message
    Show your
    > wife some style and buy her a diamond bracelet at Harrods. After that,
    > you could pretty much pick any hole on her body for the next two weeks
    > depending upon how many carats are in that bling.

    Magilla,

    Is this a lesson your daddy taught you?

    RVD

  8. Warren

    Warren Guest

    > Bret Wade wrote:
    >
    > > So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    > > my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    > > Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    > > watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like this?
    > > Any logistical tips would be appreciated.

    Take the fast train or the super-cheap flights from London to where-ever in
    the Continent. British pubs are okay, but full of smoke. Good Indian food
    around though. Might be better to fly to Antwerp, Paris or Amsterdam and do
    a day trip over to to the London area or maybe a nicer part of England..

    -WG

  9. Is your wife for sale? Can she be cloned?

    "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    > my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    > Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    > watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like this?
    > Any logistical tips would be appreciated.
    >
    > Bret

  10. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> Bret Wade wrote:
    >>
    >> > So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    >> > my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    >> > Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    >> > watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like
    >> > this?
    >> > Any logistical tips would be appreciated.

    > Take the fast train or the super-cheap flights from London to where-ever
    > in
    > the Continent. British pubs are okay, but full of smoke. Good Indian food
    > around though. Might be better to fly to Antwerp, Paris or Amsterdam and
    > do
    > a day trip over to to the London area or maybe a nicer part of England..

    The "nicer parts of England" are in Scotland.

  11. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Van Hoorebeeck Bart wrote:
    > for some crosses it's handier to take the Eurostar to Lille instead of Brussels.
    > eg. Lille-Ghent is <1h. by train.
    > But for attending a cross somewhere in the country, renting a car for the day (eg. in Lille) might be handier than
    > relying on public transport in the weekend.
    > OTOH it's uncertain agencies are open on Sunday for returning the car. It's not just Europe, it's France you know.
    >
    > a look at the calendar shows there not that much top action in January, with world cup legs elsewhere.
    > But Zonnebeke (22th) usually has a decent field and is bloody close to Lille. It allows you to visit the nearby
    > Kemmelberg too.
    >
    > Your best choice crosswise would be Nationals on the 9th . It's in Wachtebeke, near Ghent. From Lille it can't be
    > much more than an hour by car.
    > For logistic reasons and stress avoidance a full weekend in Ghent might be your best choice though . There will be
    > plenty of opps for London later on...
    >
    > http://www.gent.be/gent/multimedia/index.html

    Thanks for this great information Bart. Nationals would almost be like
    attending Worlds, right?

    Bret

  12. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    >>my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    >>Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    >>watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like this?
    >>Any logistical tips would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Bret

    > Coming to Belgium from London is a piece of cake. Just take the
    > Eurostar under the North Sea and your in Brussels in a few hours. But
    > then gettin to the place where the cross is might be a bigger problem.
    > I don't have an idea myself how to go from Brussels to e.g
    > Asper-Gavere. The cross which is the nearest to Brussels is Diegem
    > (think it was a Superprestige Cross last year) and is normally held
    > somewhere in the last two weeks of the year.
    >
    > Kenny

    Thanks for the tips Kenny. I should have mentioned that the reason we're
    thinking about taking a ferry would be to see more and it's not entirely
    about efficiency. If the ferry isn't practical, then we'll take the
    train or fly.

    Bret

  13. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    A.Lee wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 05:32:12 +0000, Bret Wade wrote:
    >

    >>So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    >>my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    >>Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    >>watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like this?
    >>Any logistical tips would be appreciated.

    > Have a look at :
    > http://www.cyclo-cross.com
    > And ask for advice on the forum there.There are a number of people here in
    > the English Midlands who do go over for a weekend, usually getting in 2
    > races, one on Saturday afternoon, and one on Sunday.
    > How old are you?
    > If over 30, then you are eligible to enter the 'World Masters' event,
    > which is held around 15 miles east of Antwerp toward the end of January.
    > Some of my Club members do it every year.There is plenty of cheap
    > accomodation in the area for the weekend, and there is usually another
    > race to enter on the Sunday on the way back to the ferry.
    > Be warned though - the Belgians are bloody good, no matter how old they
    > are!
    > Alan.

    Thanks for the pointer to the UK cross board Alan. That could be really
    useful. I hadn't thought about racing myself but that could be fun. I
    have thirty stiches in my leg from a cross race mishap last week, but I
    should be healthy again by January. :)

    Bret

  14. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Warren wrote:

    >>Bret Wade wrote:
    >>

    >>>So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    >>>my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    >>>Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    >>>watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like this?
    >>>Any logistical tips would be appreciated.

    > Take the fast train or the super-cheap flights from London to where-ever in
    > the Continent. British pubs are okay, but full of smoke. Good Indian food
    > around though. Might be better to fly to Antwerp, Paris or Amsterdam and do
    > a day trip over to to the London area or maybe a nicer part of England..
    >
    > -WG

    Unless Air France or Lufthansa have similar price breaks, we're going to
    have to go with London. British Air has a direct flight from Denver to
    London that we've used before and have liked the service. They've also
    never lost our bikes, whereas I've heard some horror stories about
    Paris. One guy had his bike box blown up when they suspected it was a bomb.

    The pub visit isn't that necessary. The main point of the trip would be
    the cross race and the adventure getting there.

    Thanks,
    Bret

  15. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Philip W. Moore, Jr. wrote:
    > Is your wife for sale? Can she be cloned?

    The trip was even her idea in the first place.

    Bret

  16. DB Cooper

    DB Cooper Guest

    I flew British Air once to London. Their 747s were worse than cramped in
    coach, read unbearable for 7 hours. The return on a 767 was much better.
    Very good service though.

    The band Nazareth was in coach with us, one dude reeked of booze. Guess
    they are slumming it now.
    "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Warren wrote:

    this?

    > > Take the fast train or the super-cheap flights from London to

    where-ever in
    > > the Continent. British pubs are okay, but full of smoke. Good Indian

    food
    > > around though. Might be better to fly to Antwerp, Paris or Amsterdam and

    do
    > > a day trip over to to the London area or maybe a nicer part of England..
    > >
    > > -WG

    > Unless Air France or Lufthansa have similar price breaks, we're going to
    > have to go with London. British Air has a direct flight from Denver to
    > London that we've used before and have liked the service. They've also
    > never lost our bikes, whereas I've heard some horror stories about
    > Paris. One guy had his bike box blown up when they suspected it was a

    bomb.

    > The pub visit isn't that necessary. The main point of the trip would be
    > the cross race and the adventure getting there.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bret

  17. Joseph [42]

    Joseph [42] Guest

    "Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > Bret Wade wrote:
    > >
    > > > So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    > > > my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have

    an
    > > > Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    > > > watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like

    this?
    > > > Any logistical tips would be appreciated.

    > Take the fast train or the super-cheap flights from London to where-ever

    in
    > the Continent. British pubs are okay, but full of smoke. Good Indian food
    > around though. Might be better to fly to Antwerp, Paris or Amsterdam and

    do
    > a day trip over to to the London area or maybe a nicer part of England..
    >
    > -WG

    Like trying to find the clean part of a dirty asshole...

  18. Joseph [42]

    Joseph [42] Guest

    I love this guy. Great, to the point writing...

    "MagillaGorilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bret Wade wrote:
    >
    > > So British Air has discount fares from Denver to London in January and
    > > my wife and I are thinking it might be fun to fly to to London, have an
    > > Ale in a real British pub and then take a ferry across the channel to
    > > watch a cross race in Belgium. Has anyone here done any thing like this?
    > > Any logistical tips would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Bret

    > Yeah, don't take Pan Am on your way back. And ferry's are for faggots.
    > Take that badass super-train that goes through the chunnel. Show your
    > wife some style and buy her a diamond bracelet at Harrods. After that,
    > you could pretty much pick any hole on her body for the next two weeks
    > depending upon how many carats are in that bling.
    >
    > Let me know how it turns out.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Magilla Gorilla for Sale

  19. You have a cool wife. Now die so I can take her DNA and splice it with some
    stem cells to inject into my wife. Oh wait, Bush is president, so we can't
    use science to improve the female kind.