Traveling with a bike

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by T_blood, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    I am going to be making a trip from Europe to the States in a couple weeks and want to take my bike
    with. Does anyone have any experience here that can give me advice on how to do it exactly? Is there
    any special rules or anything I need to know of, or any preparations with the airline I must make
    before hand? Is the box the bike came in sufficient enough for travel? Thanks...Mike

    Tags:

  2. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am going to be making a trip from Europe to the States in a couple weeks and want to take my
    > bike with. Does anyone have any experience here that
    can
    > give me advice on how to do it exactly? Is there any special rules or anything I need to know of,
    > or any preparations with the airline I must
    make
    > before hand? Is the box the bike came in sufficient enough for travel? Thanks...Mike

    The airlines will usually gouge you to ship a bike (it's even cheaper to have a bike sized non-bike
    item - pisses me off!). United charges me $75 each way for mine. I got around it last year by
    joining USA Cycling for the four one way bike flight vouchers. Not sure if that's still available
    this year, and since you are in the UK you'd need to look for something over there.

    Make sure you put some kind of bolt in your forks and in your rear triangle so if the bike gets some
    force from the side it won't bend your fork or rear triangle.

    I also use a Iron Case box for mine. I even have one to sell, but I think shipping it to you would
    be cost prohibitive. I hear people use cardboard with good results, but I wouldn't trust my ride to
    an old box.

    Matt

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    T_Blood <noMDTruebloodsp[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > I am going to be making a trip from Europe to the States in a couple weeks and want to take my
    > bike with. Does anyone have any experience here that can give me advice on how to do it exactly?
    > Is there any special rules or anything I need to know of, or any preparations with the airline I
    > must make before hand? Is the box the bike came in sufficient enough for travel? Thanks...Mike

    Not from experience, but from what i have gathered throughout the ages...

    If you have a CO2 inflater, do not bring any CO2 bottles with you, the airlines hate that (can't
    remember why).

    contrary to belief, you do not have to lower tire pressure if the cargo hold is unpressureized. the
    difference between sea-level and outer space is just 14 psi, if you are 15 psi lower than the max,
    you are set for a ride on the moon. the lunar rovers tires were pneumatic tires, so bike tires
    should fine for a plane trip.

    IMO, the shipping box should NOT be used as a flight box. it has no crush protection, and air cargo
    handlers are never careful with baggage, regardless of any markings of "fragile", or this end up.
    better off to buy a hard case made for traveling with a bike.

    As you are importing the bike, in a manor, it may be a good idea to clean the bike real good, and
    bring proof of ownership of the bike. chances are, if you also happen to conveniently pack your
    riding gear with the bike (helmet, clothing, shoes, etc) then they can be fairly sure the bike is
    for riding, and not selling.

    Those are just my thoughts, and i'm sure others will edit, or add to my list.
    --
    ~Travis

  4. two options:
    1) Ship your bike ahead of you.
    2) Leave it home and rent one when you get here.

    I vote for #2

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am going to be making a trip from Europe to the States in a couple weeks and want to take my
    > bike with. Does anyone have any experience here that
    can
    > give me advice on how to do it exactly? Is there any special rules or anything I need to know of,
    > or any preparations with the airline I must
    make
    > before hand? Is the box the bike came in sufficient enough for travel? Thanks...Mike

    The most obvious thing to do Mike, is to get in touch with the airline directly and ask them what
    they require. Imagine the frustration if you turn up and are not allowed to take the bike because
    you were given, with the best of intentions, the wrong advice here... HTH Dave.

  6. Technician

    Technician Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > two options:
    > 1) Ship your bike ahead of you.
    > 2) Leave it home and rent one when you get here.
    >
    > I vote for #2

    I personally prefer a bike i am used to, has all my tweaked settings, and that i have formed a
    friendship with. I would opt for #1 as you can use your own bike, and there would be less hassle
    IMO. and if there is room in the shipping crate, pack some stuff with it, saves on luggage a bit.
    why, you could travel for a weeks vacation, and bring only a carry- on bag on the plane, and when
    you get to your destination, your bike and packed up luggage is there waiting for you. seems to me
    like quite a deal.
    --
    ~Travis

  7. Dave Haley

    Dave Haley Guest

    > T_Blood <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > > I am going to be making a trip from Europe to the States in a couple
    weeks
    > > and want to take my bike with. Does anyone have any experience here that
    can
    > > give me advice on how to do it exactly? Is there any special rules or anything I need to know
    > > of, or any preparations with the airline I must
    make
    > > before hand? Is the box the bike came in sufficient enough for travel? Thanks...Mike
    > >

    > Not from experience, but from what i have gathered throughout the ages...
    >
    > If you have a CO2 inflater, do not bring any CO2 bottles with you, the airlines hate that (can't
    > remember why).
    >
    > contrary to belief, you do not have to lower tire pressure if the cargo hold is unpressureized.
    > the difference between sea-level and outer space is just 14 psi, if you are 15 psi lower than the
    > max, you are set for a ride on the moon. the lunar rovers tires were pneumatic tires, so bike
    > tires should fine for a plane trip.
    >
    > IMO, the shipping box should NOT be used as a flight box. it has no crush protection, and air
    > cargo handlers are never careful with baggage, regardless of any markings of "fragile", or this
    > end up. better off to buy a hard case made for traveling with a bike.
    >
    > As you are importing the bike, in a manor, it may be a good idea to clean the bike real good, and
    > bring proof of ownership of the bike. chances are, if you also happen to conveniently pack your
    > riding gear with the bike (helmet, clothing, shoes, etc) then they can be fairly sure the bike is
    > for riding, and not selling.
    >
    > Those are just my thoughts, and i'm sure others will edit, or add to my list.
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    Double check your info on the lunar rover. I believe the tires were actually made of a metal mesh
    and held no air at all. Just think no more pinch flats.

    --

    Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Dave Haley <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > T_Blood <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > > > I am going to be making a trip from Europe to the States in a couple
    > weeks
    > > > and want to take my bike with. Does anyone have any experience here that
    > can
    > > > give me advice on how to do it exactly? Is there any special rules or anything I need to know
    > > > of, or any preparations with the airline I must
    > make
    > > > before hand? Is the box the bike came in sufficient enough for travel? Thanks...Mike
    > > >

    > > Not from experience, but from what i have gathered throughout the ages...
    > >
    > > If you have a CO2 inflater, do not bring any CO2 bottles with you, the airlines hate that (can't
    > > remember why).
    > >
    > > contrary to belief, you do not have to lower tire pressure if the cargo hold is unpressureized.
    > > the difference between sea-level and outer space is just 14 psi, if you are 15 psi lower than
    > > the max, you are set for a ride on the moon. the lunar rovers tires were pneumatic tires, so
    > > bike tires should fine for a plane trip.
    > >
    > > IMO, the shipping box should NOT be used as a flight box. it has no crush protection, and air
    > > cargo handlers are never careful with baggage, regardless of any markings of "fragile", or this
    > > end up. better off to buy a hard case made for traveling with a bike.
    > >
    > > As you are importing the bike, in a manor, it may be a good idea to clean the bike real good,
    > > and bring proof of ownership of the bike. chances are, if you also happen to conveniently pack
    > > your riding gear with the bike (helmet, clothing, shoes, etc) then they can be fairly sure the
    > > bike is for riding, and not selling.
    > >
    > > Those are just my thoughts, and i'm sure others will edit, or add to my list.
    > > --
    > > ~Travis
    > >
    > > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    >
    > Double check your info on the lunar rover. I believe the tires were actually made of a metal mesh
    > and held no air at all. Just think no more pinch flats.

    really, i guess my former science teacher needs a kick in the butt ;-) 'ats where i got the
    info from.

  9. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am going to be making a trip from Europe to the States in a couple weeks and want to take my
    > bike with. Does anyone have any experience here that
    can
    > give me advice on how to do it exactly? Is there any special rules or anything I need to know of,
    > or any preparations with the airline I must
    make
    > before hand? Is the box the bike came in sufficient enough for travel? Thanks...Mike

    I have traveleld transatlantic with a bike in a shipping box before and it was ok. I can't remember
    if I was charged extra or not. I hear that sometimes happens.

    1- Check with the airline to find out about the policy on THAT airline. The policy amounted to
    turning the handlebars, pulling the pedals off and putting it in a bike box. I usually fly
    Continental, so YMMV.

    2- The is a possibility that the airline gorillas will damage your bike. Rent a bicycle travel case
    if you can. They run about 300$/EUR if you have to buy one.

    One last question. How old is the bike? If it is new, you might want to take the receipt. I assume
    that you are just in the states or ca for a visit, so I doubt that they will give you trouble, but
    when you get back to FRA, the Germans will be very keen to know where you bought the bike and how
    old it is. Little ? signs will light up in their eyes.

    -Dave

  10. MidBunchLurker

    MidBunchLurker New Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
  11. "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > two options:
    > 1) Ship your bike ahead of you.
    > 2) Leave it home and rent one when you get here.
    >
    > I vote for #2

    I tried #1 and it truly sucked.

    I shipped the bike on Friday and left on Sunday for a conference. Becasue of the conferance I knew I
    couldn't ride until Thursday at the earliest. The bike got caught in customs and did not arrive
    until the following Monday.

    Needless to say I flew it back with me.

    If you are flying from a place with a lower monetary value to a higher monetary value (e.g Canada to
    the US) pay for both legs when you leave. It's $75 CDN each way if you pay up front, or $75CDN +
    $75US if you pay each seperately at departure.

    Rob