Traveling With A Bike

You can call and ask if they allow it inside the room or not. Some will let you bring it into their rooms and others won't. Depends on the chain and management. Also a lot of places have designated bike racks in view of the reception desk and sometimes under an awning to keep them from the rain for the most part. As to stolen- well that's up to how you lock it up and take the wheels with you just to make sure.

There's one of those special made spots for bikes, and buying a key and a strong circle that is locked which cannot be unlocked without the key, you lock it to the specially made place for bikes, or motorcycles.

I would still be uncomfortable leaving it outside, chained or not. Especially in a big city. I would shop around to either find someone who'll let me take it in the room, or get a room that isn't in their view so I can take it anyway.

The only reason I can imagine a Motel or Hotel having problems would be if there is bad weather and your bike is soaking wet, or if you would have to go up an elevator or through a public space. If you call ahead you can make arrangements as to room location or any special needs. Or find another place to stay.

I've never had an issue storing my bike in either a hotel or a motel. They've never asked me to keep it outside (rain or not). I'm paying for the room & I don't expect anyone but myself to transport the bike in & out so there shouldn't be an issue whatsoever.

Even if you run across one, it isn't like you can't sneak it in. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've snuck in.

I was unaware that bringing a bike into a hotel was an issue. I have never tried but I would imagine that you would be allowed.

If it's in the room wouldn't it be safe? Just keep it in the room. I have done it and I have seen plenty of people do it before. It really isn't a big deal.

Renjost said:
I live in the United States
Please elaborate. I live in the USA and I know that many people travel with bicycles. Are you implying they don't or did you mean something else? Oh never-mind I just realized that you were adding that to your first post. Silly me. I thought it was somebody else responding to your first post. Open mouth insert foot.

I have had pretty good luck with hotels, but then again on the rode I like to keep the ride nice and clean :) . I also am a cheapskate and stay in cheapskate hotels, where a nice bike is the last thing the people running it are concern about going into the rooms ;) .
I have had friends who like to stay in classier joints than I get given a difficult time. Typically they tell me they argue with a manager for ten minutes until someone remembers they have some storage area in some distant crevice of the building and the bike gets put there. Then when it's time to ride they have to find a staff member to dig it out. Big pain in the seat.
I found this college dorm that rented out rooms to the public cheap in the summer that actually had a dedicated bike room with card access from the rear exterior (presumable for the students since it was pretty empty when I was there.) At first the desk staff would open it for me, but I was in and out so much that the lad working just programmed my key so I could come and go as I please :) .

So if you have an easy or difficult time with bikes and accommodations, I think it's just time to reassess how you are going about it!

I don't see why they wouldn't let you bring it in, provided it is clean and dry, and not muddy. Oftentimes they have a storage area that you can put it in. Some may have bike racks, but I wouldn't feel very comfortable leaving my bike outside at a hotel, even if it was locked up really well.

If they don't let you bring it inside, they should have like a garage or back room or somewhere In order to put your bike. There has to be a way to keep it safe.