Traveling with bike

JamLo21

Apr 6, 2004
Hey folks-Im about to take a vacation and am considering taking my bike with me. Ive never done this before so I have a few questions for those of you who have done this:

1) How much did it costs (airline fees + cost of case)
2) How safe is it for the bike (i.e. any damage?)
3) How much disassembly is required? (im not a big maintenance dude, so if it involves taking the damn thing apart, forget it!)

Thanks in advance!!!

Originally posted by JamLo21
Hey folks-Im about to take a vacation and am considering taking my bike with me. Ive never done this before so I have a few questions for those of you who have done this:

3) How much disassembly is required? (im not a big maintenance dude, so if it involves taking the damn thing apart, forget it!)

Thanks in advance!!!

You'd probably be best contacting the airline i'd think.

But when i looked into the possibility with KLM recently i was told you have to turn the handlebars 90 deg or maybe even remove them completely, take off any bar-ends & the peddles, maybe remove the wheels (depending on available cargo space on the day) & then pack it all in a bike box. And you'll need to let the tyres down.

Costs .... no actual charge for the bike but it gets weighed along with baggage, so you may stung for excess weight charges.

Safe ?? ... dunno ... after they told me to do all that i took the ferry !

Originally posted by JamLo21

Thanks in advance!!!

Domestic or International?

Starting near and ending near Amtrak stations?

Can you be without your bicycle for a few days before you leave?

Do you have a Local Bicycle Shop at your starting and destination sites?

Are you an Adventure Cycling member?

Do you have or can you get a pedal wrench and Allen Wrench for your stem?