travelling with bike

Russ

Guest
Hi,

Thinking of travelling from the UK to Les Gets. I have a feeling that it would work out cheaper to
hire a bike out there than go through the expense of putting my bike through 2 flights and 2
transfers plus insurance etc.

Anyone had any similar experiences with travelling out there with/without (and hiring) a bike?

Cheers.

Russ.

"russ" <russcrosbie2002(no-spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Hi,
|
| Thinking of travelling from the UK to Les Gets. I have a feeling that it would work out cheaper to
| hire a bike out there than go through the
expense
| of putting my bike through 2 flights and 2 transfers plus insurance etc.
|
| Anyone had any similar experiences with travelling out there with/without (and hiring) a bike?
|
| Cheers.
|
| Russ.

Russ, I have travelled to Canada, USA, Cyprus, Brazil and alot of European countries all from the
UK. I bought a Planet X bike bag a few years back and have used that every time and thus far have
encountered no problems. Apparently there is a rigid style bag now available but I dont have the
link sorry.

Most long haul flights allow for my bike to be taken for free as 1 item of checked luggage. However
european flights usually require a supplement ask the airline for details here.

Planet X bike bag(check your dimensions to ensure it fits):
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=4000000603

As for hiring a bike, I cant comment as I have never needed to do this.

Simon "oh and my bike is a 24 bikes Pornking, full hope enduros, Psylo's blah blah blah"

I flew across Canada and "rented" a bike at my destination...Big mistake...The bike was not a good
fit for me. As a result I didn't ride as much and when I did it wasn't enjoyable.

Needless to say; my next trip will be on my own bike :)

> Hi,
>
> Thinking of travelling from the UK to Les Gets. I have a feeling that it would work out cheaper to
> hire a bike out there than go through the
expense
> of putting my bike through 2 flights and 2 transfers plus insurance etc.
>
> Anyone had any similar experiences with travelling out there with/without (and hiring) a bike?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Russ.

"russ" <russcrosbie2002(no-spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Thinking of travelling from the UK to Les Gets. I have a feeling that it would work out cheaper to
> hire a bike out there than go through the
expense
> of putting my bike through 2 flights and 2 transfers plus insurance etc.
>
> Anyone had any similar experiences with travelling out there with/without (and hiring) a bike?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Russ.

I travel with my bike pretty regularly. For flying, I bought an Iron Case (Goggle it) and it's just
a big plastic box with three layers of foam. I put my bike and all of my bike stuff in it. It works
well for my needs but is pretty cumbersome to carry around. It does have wheels, but the handle is
just a strap that digs into your hand after a while. I plan on putting a piece of PVC pipe on it to
make a handle before my next trip. On domestic flights, United charges the ridiculous rate of $75
each way. If you join NORBA (or other clubs & groups, look around) you can usually get vouchers for
free bike flights for much less. Good luck and happy travels!

Matt

In article <[email protected]>, "russ" <russcrosbie2002
(no-spam)@hotmail.com> says...
> Thinking of travelling from the UK to Les Gets. I have a feeling that it would work out cheaper to
> hire a bike out there than go through the expense of putting my bike through 2 flights and 2
> transfers plus insurance etc.
>
> Anyone had any similar experiences with travelling out there with/without (and hiring) a bike?

If your going to Portes (Les Get's in the Portes du Soleil) and riding the lift supported stuff,
hopefully you've got a decent downhill rig. I'd recommend disk brakes at least.

From the rentals I saw there, most were Kona and in the 35+ Euros a day.

nk