Travis'/Richard's "new" bike.

Technician wrote:

>>I found a POS BB and cleaned it up and repacked it
>>http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb.jpg got it installed:
>>http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb_inst.jpg It's a bit stiff, but it should
>>loosen up in a few miles.
>

> And if not, i know how to adjust a compression bearing set (though i trust your adjustment is more
> likely better)

I cranked'em pretty tight.. you mught just want ot back it off a bit if it doesn't loosen up after a
few miles.

> i think i will have to ditch the riser bar that's on the goose though. it fits the look of a FS
> downhill looking bike, but a riser may just look strange on a hard-tail,

Who cares what it looks like, as long as it rides nice. I love my risers.

> So, any tips from folks that ride a FS and a hard-tail that know of different riding
> techniques needed?

learn to ride "smooth"

> i figure i will have to take the rocks and downhills differently as the rear will not handle the
> same. pedaling should be better in that it doesn't get absorbed by the suspension.

no doubt!

> I'm not sure i will ever be able to thank you enough.

just ride it.. and toss that 'Goese freme in the town landfill!

> At least now i will have a frame i can be proud of. no more need to hide it's identity by pealing
> off stickers.

GT went bankrupt two years ago, they are owned by Pacific now. Pacifics are now sold at Wal*Mart

Ohhh, the bitter-sweet irony!

> I will of course have to take pictures of the completed bike,

cool.

> though it will be like a beautiful woman wearing hand-me-down rags.

Not unlike my Beer'Cross

> but like we all know, its how the woman performs, not what she is wearing that counts

I think you meant to say: "it's what's inside that counts."?

Technician wrote:
> BTW, Clyde, what size BB does that frame take?

I dunno.

> the BB i just bought for the goose is a Shimano sealed 68-118 with maybe a total of 5 miles on
> it. if it fits, i could at least use it as a spare.

Probaly a good idea to put it in whne the curenlt one starts geting grity

Nelson Binch wrote:

> If it is a 1 1/8 threaded (25.4mm quill)

It is.

> I've got bunches of stems saved from the old shop. LMK what you need.

But, he'll need to caclulate cockpit lenght after he gets his KOPS set.

what were those odds again CC? 3:2? Hmmm......

Technician wrote:
> I suppose i'll just have to learn to ride the trails all over again. should at least make it
> interesting. all the trails will ride like completely new terrain as every little bump will not be
> absorbed, and most of the riding techniques i have picked up on the FS will no doubt need to be
> altered for riding on a HT.

Yes, you will have to UN-LEARN all those bad habits from riding a double-boingy..... this will
make you a better rider. Next step (when the RST gives out) will be to go fully rigid, then it's
Single Speed time!!!!!

Technician wrote:
> sorry for the miscommunication. i do have a threaded stem.

ah yes but is it of the correct rise and lenght?-(

> Technician wrote:
> > I suppose i'll just have to learn to ride the trails all over again. should at least make it
> > interesting. all the trails will ride like completely new terrain as every little bump will not
> > be absorbed, and most of the riding techniques i have picked up on the FS will no doubt need to
> > be altered for riding on a HT.
>
> Yes, you will have to UN-LEARN all those bad habits from riding a double-boingy..... this will
> make you a better rider. Next step (when the RST gives out) will be to go fully rigid, then it's
> Single Speed time!!!!!

And then Travis'll have legs like Penny's buff-guy pic! (Again :)

Bill "doncha wish everything went full circle like this?" S.

> Technician wrote:
>

> >>I found a POS BB and cleaned it up and repacked it
> >>http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb.jpg got it installed:
> >>http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb_inst.jpg It's a bit stiff, but it
> >>should loosen up in a few miles.
> >

> > And if not, i know how to adjust a compression bearing set (though i trust your adjustment is
> > more likely better)
>
> I cranked'em pretty tight.. you mught just want ot back it off a bit if it doesn't loosen up after
> a few miles.
>

> > i think i will have to ditch the riser bar that's on the goose though. it fits the look of a FS
> > downhill looking bike, but a riser may just look strange on a hard-tail,
>
> Who cares what it looks like, as long as it rides nice. I love my risers.
>

> > So, any tips from folks that ride a FS and a hard-tail that know of different riding techniques
> > needed?
>
> learn to ride "smooth"
>
> > i figure i will have to take the rocks and downhills differently as the rear will not handle the
> > same. pedaling should be better in that it doesn't get absorbed by the suspension.
>
> no doubt!
>

> > I'm not sure i will ever be able to thank you enough.
>
> just ride it.. and toss that 'Goese freme in the town landfill!
>

> > At least now i will have a frame i can be proud of. no more need to hide it's identity by
> > pealing off stickers.
>
> GT went bankrupt two years ago, they are owned by Pacific now. Pacifics are now sold at Wal*Mart
>
> Ohhh, the bitter-sweet irony!

LMAO, figures :-D

> > I will of course have to take pictures of the completed bike,
>
> cool.
>
> > though it will be like a beautiful woman wearing hand-me-down rags.
>
> Not unlike my Beer'Cross
>
> > but like we all know, its how the woman performs, not what she is wearing that counts
>
> I think you meant to say: "it's what's inside that counts."?

Actually, i was trying to generate an analogy that pertained to a pre- Pacific GT with some formally
Wal-Goose parts, hence "hand-me-down". but in the end, its how a frame performs compared to the
goose, rather than

remark after i re-read it.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

> Chris wrote:
> > That's one hell of an awesome gesture, man. Kinda gives you hope that not *everybody* is a
> > schemy, thieving ******* :)
>
> Heh, after all the kindness I recieved building the Beer'Cross, it's the least I could do.

Ok, i think i missed something, Beer'Cross?

Wait, scanning google... Ok, i see now, nevermind.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

> Technician wrote:
> > sorry for the miscommunication. i do have a threaded stem.
>
> ah yes but is it of the correct rise and lenght?-(

I have no idea, how would i check that? i have just been riding, and gotten used to it as is, though
i did have to raise it from factory about an inch or so (with another inch to spare).

I just looked at a recent pic of it and it looks low. most of the bikes i have seen, the bars are
just about level with the seat. mine is quite a bit lower than the seat, and i don't think the extra
inch will fix that. http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/photography/mtb/misc/bike.jpg (151k)

So would i be correct in saying that it was in fact not the correct length? it doesn't seem to
be hard on my back at all, i actually hadn't noticed it was so far below the seat (looks
almost awkward).

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

> Technician wrote:
> > I suppose i'll just have to learn to ride the trails all over again. should at least make it
> > interesting. all the trails will ride like completely new terrain as every little bump will not
> > be absorbed, and most of the riding techniques i have picked up on the FS will no doubt need to
> > be altered for riding on a HT.
>
> Yes, you will have to UN-LEARN all those bad habits from riding a double-boingy..... this will
> make you a better rider. Next step (when the RST gives out) will be to go fully rigid, then it's
> Single Speed time!!!!!

Single speed, wouldn't it be cheaper to just run the bike in one gear all the time? I personally
like my gears, but then, who knows, after i get into better shape, anything could happen.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

Aye!

> (thanks for that one John).

Thank my Grand-Grand-père, "Henry" Mailhott

His English wasn't so good but he has a certasin way of getting his point across, sometimes in a
quite humerous way.

"Next time you cut true my yard, I catch you, you go round, eh!"

John G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>

> Aye!

Heheheheh ',;~}~

I remembered you saying at the time - some **** just like, 'sticks' ya know?

> His English wasn't so good but he has a certasin way of getting his point across, sometimes in a
> quite humerous way.
>

> "Next time you cut true my yard, I catch you, you go round, eh!"

Heheheheheh.....

When I was a (smaller) kid, mine used to ask to look at my muscles - always said in his thick
Norfolk accent "Thems not muscles boyo, thems cockles!". Always made me laugh ',;~}~

Shaun aRe