Travis'/Richard's "new" bike.

Clydesdalemtb

Guest
Did some digging in the basement and found the frame burried under a pile of cr@p.......

http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav1.jpg It even still has an STX-RC front
dreailer on it!-)

I found a POS BB and cleaned it up and repacked it
http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb.jpg got it installed:
http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb_inst.jpg It's a bit stiff, but it should
loosen up in a few miles.

The seat-tube is 26.0 so I doubt your new Thomson is gonna fit.... BUT, I found my (replacement)
Kalloy seat-post it's not a Thomson but it held up under me for at least a year, so It might be
okay for you.

Oh.... one other thing, it's a threaded headset so unless the Wal'Goose is also threaded, so you'll
need a stem unless I can find something

So, here it is Travis, your "new" steed:
http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/Trav_bike.jpg

> Did some digging in the basement and found the frame burried under a pile of cr@p.......
>
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav1.jpg It even still has an STX-RC front
> dreailer on it!-)
>
> I found a POS BB and cleaned it up and repacked it
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb.jpg got it installed:
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb_inst.jpg It's a bit stiff, but it should
> loosen up in a few miles.
>

> The seat-tube is 26.0 so I doubt your new Thomson is gonna fit.... BUT, I found my (replacement)
> Kalloy seat-post it's not a Thomson but it held up under me for at least a year, so It might be
> okay for you.
>
> Oh.... one other thing, it's a threaded headset so unless the Wal'Goose is also threaded, so
> you'll need a stem unless I can find something
>
> So, here it is Travis, your "new" steed:
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/Trav_bike.jpg

That's one hell of an awesome gesture, man. Kinda gives you hope that not *everybody* is a schemy,
thieving ******* :)

If you find any 22-year-old girls in that basement, let me know...STX derailleurs or not.

Chris

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:55:31 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

> So, here it is Travis, your "new" steed:
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/Trav_bike.jpg

Damn, what a guy!

Doesn't anyone have a old threaded stem? I probably still have one around, but it had a dangerous
way of coming loose all the time. I still have the scars from that (apparently landing in gravel
with your front wheel perpendicular to your momentum is a bad thing). I guess it'll work if no one
else can come up with something.

It seems there's also some sort of $12 "Threadless Converter" made by Profile that adapts a threaded
fork to work with a threaded stem:

http://www.citybikes.com/inventory/39.htm, part# 398466

> Did some digging in the basement and found the frame burried under a pile of cr@p.......
>
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav1.jpg It even still has an STX-RC front
> dreailer on it!-)

And still shiny (compared to the goose anyway)

> I found a POS BB and cleaned it up and repacked it
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb.jpg got it installed:
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb_inst.jpg It's a bit stiff, but it should
> loosen up in a few miles.

And if not, i know how to adjust a compression bearing set (though i trust your adjustment is more
likely better)

> The seat-tube is 26.0 so I doubt your new Thomson is gonna fit.... BUT, I found my (replacement)
> Kalloy seat-post it's not a Thomson but it held up under me for at least a year, so It might be
> okay for you.

Figures, ahh well, can't win 'em all.

> Oh.... one other thing, it's a threaded headset so unless the Wal'Goose is also threaded, so
> you'll need a stem unless I can find something

the goose does in fact have a stem. not sure if there are any size constraints here, but i figure
it should work. i think i will have to ditch the riser bar that's on the goose though. it fits the
look of a FS downhill looking bike, but a riser may just look strange on a hard-tail, just a guess
though (don't really have anything to base this opinion on though). it should work just fine for a
while though.

> So, here it is Travis, your "new" steed:
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/Trav_bike.jpg

She's beautiful :-D

It may take a ride or two to get used to no suspension on the rear, but tomorrow i can see if i can
lock up the rear shock and see what it is like. no doubt riding more out of the saddle over the
roots and rocks will help.

So, any tips from folks that ride a FS and a hard-tail that know of different riding techniques
needed? i figure i will have to take the rocks and downhills differently as the rear will not handle
the same. pedaling should be better in that it doesn't get absorbed by the suspension.

I'm not sure i will ever be able to thank you enough. This is by far the best gesture i have
ever received.

I will start by trying my best to not ***** anymore (it's in writing now). I can't really help the
"male-PMS" much, but i will do my best to refrain from letting it make a mess here.

At least now i will have a frame i can be proud of. no more need to hide it's identity by pealing
off stickers. i will ride it with a pride that has not been seen in me for many years. I will of
course have to take pictures of the completed bike, though it will be like a beautiful woman wearing
hand-me-down rags. but like we all know, its how the woman performs, not what she is wearing that

an analogy).

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

> So, any tips from folks that ride a FS and a hard-tail that know of different riding techniques
> needed? i figure i will have to take the rocks and downhills differently as the rear will not
> handle the same. pedaling should be better in that it doesn't get absorbed by the suspension.

I jumped back on my hardtail last week just for the fun of it and was amazed at the different feel
after riding FS. Bumps hit harder than I remembered so I was out of the saddle much more, I did a
few small jumps and on landing I think every bone in my body felt it. On a good note...I have a ten
mile loop I frequent that climbs 580M....I shaved 30 minutes off my normal time with the HT. I
believe because of it climbing effiency and lighter weight. The only bad part was my confidence on
the downhill was not as good being bounced so bad.

> > So, any tips from folks that ride a FS and a hard-tail that know of different riding techniques
> > needed? i figure i will have to take the rocks and downhills differently as the rear will not
> > handle the same. pedaling should be better in that it doesn't get absorbed by the suspension.
> >

> I jumped back on my hardtail last week just for the fun of it and was amazed at the different feel
> after riding FS. Bumps hit harder than I remembered so I was out of the saddle much more, I did a
> few small jumps and on landing I think every bone in my body felt it. On a good note...I have a
> ten mile loop I frequent that climbs 580M....I shaved 30 minutes off my normal time with the HT. I
> believe because of it climbing effiency and lighter weight. The only bad part was my confidence on
> the downhill was not as good being bounced so bad.

Ok, so i should be light on the seat, and downhills will be less controlled (the rocky ones anyway).

I had not realized switching from FS to HT would be that much of an efficiency gain, but then, i
suppose that depends on the rider.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

> Did some digging in the basement and found the frame burried under a pile of cr@p.......
>
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav1.jpg It even still has an STX-RC front
> dreailer on it!-)
>
> I found a POS BB and cleaned it up and repacked it
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb.jpg got it installed:
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb_inst.jpg It's a bit stiff, but it should
> loosen up in a few miles.
>

> The seat-tube is 26.0 so I doubt your new Thomson is gonna fit.... BUT, I found my (replacement)
> Kalloy seat-post it's not a Thomson but it held up under me for at least a year, so It might be
> okay for you.
>
> Oh.... one other thing, it's a threaded headset so unless the Wal'Goose is also threaded, so
> you'll need a stem unless I can find something
>
> So, here it is Travis, your "new" steed:
> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/Trav_bike.jpg

And I think I can come up with some parts. I know I've got a crankset or two laying around. A couple
of seats. Probably some handlebars. And I do have a set of Vbrakes and levers never used. I take it
that the bb is a square taper?

Gary in VA

> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Did some digging in the basement and found the frame burried under a pile of cr@p.......
> >
> > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav1.jpg It even still has an STX-RC front
> > dreailer on it!-)
> >
> > I found a POS BB and cleaned it up and repacked it
> > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb.jpg got it installed:
> > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb_inst.jpg It's a bit stiff, but it
> > should loosen up in a few miles.
> >

> > The seat-tube is 26.0 so I doubt your new Thomson is gonna fit.... BUT, I found my (replacement)
> > Kalloy seat-post it's not a Thomson but it held up under me for at least a year, so It might be
> > okay for you.
> >
> > Oh.... one other thing, it's a threaded headset so unless the Wal'Goose is also threaded, so
> > you'll need a stem unless I can find something
> >
> > So, here it is Travis, your "new" steed:
> > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/Trav_bike.jpg
>
> And I think I can come up with some parts. I know I've got a crankset or two laying around. A
> couple of seats. Probably some handlebars. And I do have a set of Vbrakes and levers never used. I
> take it that the bb is a square taper?
>
> Gary in VA

Let me just note that my current drive-train is all 7-speed stuff. the chain is fairly wide (just
fits the freewheel cogs.

I am assuming the front rings make no difference (aka, 9-speed compatible rings will fit a 7-speed
chain). the chain of course could be replaced with one that fits the bike as a unit.

my brake levers are a combo unit with my rapid-fire shifters so until i upgrade the rear shifter
those will have to stay (either that or use the old set of friction shifter levers i have
kicking around).

Perhaps if i figure out a complete listing of parts i have, with maybe even some pictures so
compatibility issues can be sorted out. that and it will help me to figure out what i have that will
fit, and what is needed.

BTW, Clyde, what size BB does that frame take? the BB i just bought for the goose is a Shimano
sealed 68-118 with maybe a total of 5 miles on
it. if it fits, i could at least use it as a spare.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >
> > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Did some digging in the basement and found the frame burried under a pile of cr@p.......
> > >
> > > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav1.jpg It even still has an STX-RC front
> > > dreailer on it!-)
> > >
> > > I found a POS BB and cleaned it up and repacked it
> > > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb.jpg got it installed:
> > > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb_inst.jpg It's a bit stiff, but it
> > > should loosen up in a few miles.
> > >

> > > The seat-tube is 26.0 so I doubt your new Thomson is gonna fit.... BUT, I found my
> > > (replacement) Kalloy seat-post it's not a Thomson but
it
> > > held up under me for at least a year, so It might be okay for you.
> > >
> > > Oh.... one other thing, it's a threaded headset so unless the
Wal'Goose
> > > is also threaded, so you'll need a stem unless I can find something
> > >
> > > So, here it is Travis, your "new" steed:
> > > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/Trav_bike.jpg
> >
> > And I think I can come up with some parts. I know I've got a crankset or
two
> > laying around. A couple of seats. Probably some handlebars. And I do
have a
> > set of Vbrakes and levers never used. I take it that the bb is a square taper?
> >
> > Gary in VA
> >

> Let me just note that my current drive-train is all 7-speed stuff. the chain is fairly wide (just
> fits the freewheel cogs.
>
> I am assuming the front rings make no difference (aka, 9-speed compatible rings will fit a 7-speed
> chain). the chain of course could be replaced with one that fits the bike as a unit.
>
> my brake levers are a combo unit with my rapid-fire shifters so until i upgrade the rear shifter
> those will have to stay (either that or use the old set of friction shifter levers i have kicking
> around).
>
> Perhaps if i figure out a complete listing of parts i have, with maybe even some pictures so
> compatibility issues can be sorted out. that and it will help me to figure out what i have that
> will fit, and what is needed.
>
> BTW, Clyde, what size BB does that frame take? the BB i just bought for the goose is a Shimano
> sealed 68-118 with maybe a total of 5 miles on
> it. if it fits, i could at least use it as a spare.
>
> ~Travis

OK Travis, here's what I was able to dig up for you. I've got a Shimano Alivio rear der (7 speed), a
7speed Shimano Rapid Fire shifter (rear), Promax V levers and V brakes, a Selle San Marco Race Day
seat, a flat Titec Hellbent handlebar (red ano), and a Sugino Impel square taper crankset (needs a
small sprocket).

So if you can get a Shimano Rapid Fire front shifter you can use the Vbrakes and levers. I'll try to
find a sprocket (5 bolt, compact). Maybe somebody here can come up with these.

Gary in VA (and I won't even charge you for the shipping)

I figured someone else would bring it up, but since they didn't...Clyde's bike has a threaded
steerer; you probably have a threadless stem (unless there's a giant nut just above the headtube -
see Clyde's pic). You'll need to come up with a threded stem. That might not be so easy, since no
one's used them in the past few years.

I believe I still have one, but its a piece of ****. It has a dangerous way of coming loose, i.e.
your handlebar goes parallel to the front wheel. I have scars to show the result of this. But if you
can't come up with anything else, it'll work - you'll just need to come up with some way of making
sure it doesn't get loose.

> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> > says...
> > >
> > > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> it

> Wal'Goose

> > > And I think I can come up with some parts. I know I've got a crankset or
> two
> > > laying around. A couple of seats. Probably some handlebars. And I do
> have a
> > > set of Vbrakes and levers never used. I take it that the bb is a square taper?
> > >
> > > Gary in VA
> > >

> > Let me just note that my current drive-train is all 7-speed stuff. the chain is fairly wide
> > (just fits the freewheel cogs.
> >
> > I am assuming the front rings make no difference (aka, 9-speed compatible rings will fit a
> > 7-speed chain). the chain of course could be replaced with one that fits the bike as a unit.
> >
> > my brake levers are a combo unit with my rapid-fire shifters so until i upgrade the rear shifter
> > those will have to stay (either that or use the old set of friction shifter levers i have
> > kicking around).
> >
> > Perhaps if i figure out a complete listing of parts i have, with maybe even some pictures so
> > compatibility issues can be sorted out. that and it will help me to figure out what i have that
> > will fit, and what is needed.
> >
> > BTW, Clyde, what size BB does that frame take? the BB i just bought for the goose is a Shimano
> > sealed 68-118 with maybe a total of 5 miles on
> > it. if it fits, i could at least use it as a spare.
> >
> > ~Travis
>
> OK Travis, here's what I was able to dig up for you. I've got a Shimano Alivio rear der (7 speed),
> a 7speed Shimano Rapid Fire shifter (rear), Promax V levers and V brakes, a Selle San Marco Race
> Day seat, a flat Titec Hellbent handlebar (red ano), and a Sugino Impel square taper crankset
> (needs a small sprocket).
>
> So if you can get a Shimano Rapid Fire front shifter you can use the Vbrakes and levers. I'll try
> to find a sprocket (5 bolt, compact). Maybe somebody here can come up with these.
>
> Gary in VA (and I won't even charge you for the shipping)

That is very generous of you. I thank you (and Clyde of course) very very much. As far as text goes
the most i could do to really show my thanks for you guys is lots of "very", but too many looks
tacky ;-) if somebody doesn't have a set of rings they want to donate, or whatever, i'm fairly sure
i can get one from my LBS (though they seem to have a nack for getting the parts wrong). i wonder if
i can drill out the rivets on the cranks i have (worn, but not rounded yet, just the square drive
is, well, not really square anymore), but i'll have to take a look at them and see what they look
like. as far as the front shifter goes, they shouldn't cost too much i wouldn't think. mine should
work in the mean time. perhaps i can find some way to work a deal with the LBS. maybe help out in
the shop for a while (maybe get a part time job if i can).

Again, thank you very much. my email is below (spelled out for anti- spam) so you can get my
shipping address, or you can email Clyde for it, either way works.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

| Did some digging in the basement and found the frame burried under a pile of cr@p.......
|
| http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav1.jpg It even still has an STX-RC front
| dreailer on it!-)
|
| I found a POS BB and cleaned it up and repacked it
| http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb.jpg got it installed:
| http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/trav_bb_inst.jpg It's a bit stiff, but it should
| loosen up in a few miles.
|

| The seat-tube is 26.0 so I doubt your new Thomson is gonna fit.... BUT, I found my (replacement)
| Kalloy seat-post it's not a Thomson but it held up under me for at least a year, so It might be
| okay for you.
|
| Oh.... one other thing, it's a threaded headset so unless the Wal'Goose is also threaded, so
| you'll need a stem unless I can find something
|
| So, here it is Travis, your "new" steed:
| http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/travis/Trav_bike.jpg

If it is a 1 1/8 threaded (25.4mm quill) I've got bunches of stems saved from the old shop. LMK
what you need.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/24/2003

> I figured someone else would bring it up, but since they didn't...Clyde's bike has a threaded
> steerer; you probably have a threadless stem (unless there's a giant nut just above the headtube -
> see Clyde's pic). You'll need to come up with a threded stem. That might not be so easy, since no
> one's used them in the past few years.
>
> I believe I still have one, but its a piece of ****. It has a dangerous way of coming loose, i.e.
> your handlebar goes parallel to the front wheel. I have scars to show the result of this. But if
> you can't come up with anything else, it'll work - you'll just need to come up with some way of
> making sure it doesn't get loose.

Yeah, Clyde asked in another thread (oh wait, it was this one). i do have a stem. I am working up a
list of parts i currently have, so it should help out in checking for parts compatibility.

~Travis
--

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:59:08 -0400, Technician wrote:

> Yeah, Clyde asked in another thread (oh wait, it was this one). i do have a stem. I am working up
> a list of parts i currently have, so it should help out in checking for parts compatibility.

Clyde didn't ask if you have "a stem", he pointed out a very important fact that you'll need a
THREADED stem, something MTBs haven't used much in the past 5 years or more. Just FINDING one could
a challenge. If you'd have replied "I have a threaded stem", I wouldn't have said anything.

BB says:

>It seems there's also some sort of $12 "Threadless Converter" made by Profile that adapts a
>threaded fork to work with a threaded stem:

I have had the Zoom version of that (from Colorado Cycles) for 2 years, and have yet to find a
problem. There's always tomorrow though......

Steve

> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:59:08 -0400, Technician wrote:
>
> > Yeah, Clyde asked in another thread (oh wait, it was this one). i do have a stem. I am working
> > up a list of parts i currently have, so it should help out in checking for parts compatibility.
>
> Clyde didn't ask if you have "a stem", he pointed out a very important fact that you'll need a
> THREADED stem, something MTBs haven't used much in the past 5 years or more. Just FINDING one
> could a challenge. If you'd have replied "I have a threaded stem", I wouldn't have said anything.

Ahh, i see. sorry for the miscommunication. i do have a threaded stem.

~Travis
--

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 09:36:21 -0400, Technician wrote:

> I had not realized switching from FS to HT would be that much of an efficiency gain, but then, i
> suppose that depends on the rider.

If you don't ride in rocks a lot, it won't likely be a big deal.

> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 09:36:21 -0400, Technician wrote:
>
> > I had not realized switching from FS to HT would be that much of an efficiency gain, but then, i
> > suppose that depends on the rider.
>
> If you don't ride in rocks a lot, it won't likely be a big deal.

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/photography/mtb/misc/rocks.jpg picture from a while ago. i usually
ride down it, but once in a while i find that to get where a need to go, i have to go up it. It's
kind of hairy with an FS, and worse now that ATVs have made fairly deep ruts (that go straight, not
turning with the trail). The distance from where the top rocks can be seen, and where the Goose lies
is about, well, maybe 15 or 20 feet. if i had to guess, the elevation drop in the same area would be
about... uh... we'll say about 8 to 12 feet.

There is another section i ride fairly similar, but less rocks, though i don't have a picture.

I suppose i'll just have to learn to ride the trails all over again. should at least make it
interesting. all the trails will ride like completely new terrain as every little bump will not be
absorbed, and most of the riding techniques i have picked up on the FS will no doubt need to be
altered for riding on a HT.

I personally will look upon it as a welcome challengee.

~Travis
--

Chris wrote:
> That's one hell of an awesome gesture, man. Kinda gives you hope that not *everybody* is a schemy,
> thieving ******* :)

Heh, after all the kindness I recieved building the Beer'Cross, it's the least I could do.

> If you find any 22-year-old girls in that basement,

They are all yours, I dont need any of that hassle in my life right now!