Trdina has two guns

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tritonrider, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    Tags:

  2. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    > We were discussing "Bowling for Columbines" accuracy here. here is a piece I just found in another
    > NG http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html Bill C

    Thanks for the link. Moore is a blow hard, and a fatass, and, apparently, a decptive filmmaker.
    Greg Miller

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Sorry, I could never pass up a straight line.

    > You guys have a lot in common huh?
    >
    > "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > We were discussing "Bowling for Columbines" accuracy here. here
    is
    > a piece I
    > > >just found in another NG http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html Bill C
    > > >

    > > Thanks for the link. Moore is a blow hard, and a fatass, and,
    > apparently, a
    > > decptive filmmaker. Greg Miller

  5. "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > We were discussing "Bowling for Columbines" accuracy here. here is a piece I just found in another
    > NG http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

    Speaking of guns: in the Trdina and Guns thread one of the themes was that gun ownership should be
    allowed so that individuals can preserve their liberty since they have the option of revolting
    against the government.

    Because of the below, I have decided that argument is very leaky.

    From: http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030317-095719-3913r

    BAGHDAD, Iraq, March 17 (UPI) -- It is common these days to see Iraqis brandishing their rifles in
    the streets of Baghdad. Such gestures have been encouraged by Iraqi President Saddam Hussein to show
    readiness to confront U.S. invaders.

    But it also raises fears of a civil war that could break out in a security vacuum that might develop
    if Saddam's regime is toppled in what seems to be an imminent U.S. war on Iraq.

    In Baghdad's neighborhoods, rich and poor, it's inevitable to encounter a man with a weapon in one
    hand and a bag of food in the other. If someone stops to shop in one of Baghdad's stores, he can
    clearly see a rifle or a pistol in the shop's corner.

    <snip>

    Iraq's citizens are armed to the teeth. Liberty?

    Since the 2nd Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms, fine, let's have guns. But the Iraq
    example (along with Pakistan where every man has an AK-47) shows that gun ownership doesn't really
    have a whole lot to do with liberty.

    What is the guarantor of liberty? A country's political/judicial system which is set up to
    preserve it.