Tread mill jogging vs Trail jogging

Huguito

Guest
Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on both
methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
right now, thanks for your input.

Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home and
stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

One dark day on Usenet, "Huguito" <[email protected]> said
news:[email protected]:

> Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is
> better than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of
> jogging on both methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging
> alongside the canal in the dirt road , its all flat, i like it that
> way, im jogging to loose weight right now, thanks for your input.

If you enjoy running along the canal, keep doing that. Anything that will
keep you running is a good thing.

> Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get
> home and stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't
> have time to go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the
> canal.

I think we've been here before, At any rate, if you want to burn more
calories and lose more weight, alternate your running days with a brisk 2
mile walk. Running 2 miles or walking 2 miles, it makes no difference,
they both burn about the same amount of calories.

Phil M.

--
If you can empty your own boat
Crossing the river of the world,

Treadmill running sucks for the following reasons:
-- no rain
-- no humidity
-- no cold
-- no heat
-- no ice or snow
-- can't see the sun rise or set
-- can't hear the birds sing
-- can't see the flowers in the spring or the leaves in the fall
-- can't spit

--

-----
Joe S.

"Huguito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
> than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on

both
> methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
> dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
> right now, thanks for your input.
>
> Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home

and
> stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
> go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

One dark day on Usenet, "Joe S." <[email protected]> said
news:[email protected]:

> Treadmill running sucks for the following reasons:
> -- no rain
> -- no humidity
> -- no cold
> -- no heat
> -- no ice or snow
> -- can't see the sun rise or set
> -- can't hear the birds sing
> -- can't see the flowers in the spring or the leaves in the fall
> -- can't spit

The rotating earth is my treadmill. But I worry that if I don't run fast
enough, I might fall off the back of it.

Phil M.

--
If you can empty your own boat
Crossing the river of the world,
No one will oppose you,
No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

"Huguito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
> than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on

both
> methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
> dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
> right now, thanks for your input.
>
> Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home

and
> stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
> go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

Treadmill pros:

Controlled environment (weather, temp)
Safety
Controlled intensity

Trail pros:

Outside in the fresh air (hopefully!)
No waiting in line (assuming one is using a gym)

In reality, for weight loss and general fitness, the one that is best is the
one you are going to do. Somedays it might be smarter to run inside on a TM
(air pollution, excessively hot, excessively cold/wet)

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> One dark day on Usenet, "Huguito" <[email protected]> said
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is
> > better than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of
> > jogging on both methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging
> > alongside the canal in the dirt road , its all flat, i like it that
> > way, im jogging to loose weight right now, thanks for your input.

> If you enjoy running along the canal, keep doing that. Anything that will
> keep you running is a good thing.
>

> > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get
> > home and stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't
> > have time to go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the
> > canal.

> I think we've been here before, At any rate, if you want to burn more
> calories and lose more weight, alternate your running days with a brisk 2
> mile walk. Running 2 miles or walking 2 miles, it makes no difference,
> they both burn about the same amount of calories.
>
> Phil M.

Phil, I presume you mean ADD the walking days to what he is already doing.
That is increase the total volume of exercise.

Having just finished a run on Saturday that was 17 miles at an altitude of
7500 to 8500 feet with temps in the 40s and a person getting lost on the
trail, I was thinking the TM is really a good idea. Man, were we cold and
worried about our friend (who is okay just was less familiar with the area
than anyone knew).

"Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Treadmill running sucks for the following reasons:
> -- no rain
> -- no humidity
> -- no cold
> -- no heat
> -- no ice or snow
> -- can't see the sun rise or set
> -- can't hear the birds sing
> -- can't see the flowers in the spring or the leaves in the fall
> -- can't spit
>
> --
>
> -----
> Joe S.
>

> "Huguito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
> > than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on

> both
> > methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
> > dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
> > right now, thanks for your input.
> >
> > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home

> and
> > stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time

> > go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

One dark day on Usenet, "Sam" <[email protected]> said
news:[email protected]:

> "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> One dark day on Usenet, "Huguito" <[email protected]> said
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is
>> > better than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of
>> > jogging on both methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging
>> > alongside the canal in the dirt road , its all flat, i like it that
>> > way, im jogging to loose weight right now, thanks for your input.

>> If you enjoy running along the canal, keep doing that. Anything that
>> will keep you running is a good thing.
>>

>> > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get
>> > home and stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really
>> > don't have time to go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile
>> > from the canal.

>> I think we've been here before, At any rate, if you want to burn more
>> calories and lose more weight, alternate your running days with a
>> brisk 2 mile walk. Running 2 miles or walking 2 miles, it makes no
>> difference, they both burn about the same amount of calories.
>>
>> Phil M.

> Phil, I presume you mean ADD the walking days to what he is already
> doing. That is increase the total volume of exercise.

Yes, since he's running every other day, adding the walking on the non-
running days would help him to burn calories without increasing the
injury risk.

Phil M.

--
If you can empty your own boat
Crossing the river of the world,
No one will oppose you,
No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

<< Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
than trail jogging or vice versa?, >>

ah geezzz. do we really have to go there again? just how many times have we
DONE this already?!?!?!?!

_______

http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+------------------------Oooo----+

Huguito wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
>than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on both
>methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
>dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
>right now, thanks for your input.
>
>Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home and
>stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
>go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

If you're like most people you will get so bored on the treadmill that it
might ruin your good exercise habits. Use the treamill only when necessary,
as in very bad weather outside.

- Tony

Joe S. wrote:

> Treadmill running sucks for the following reasons:
> -- no rain
> -- no humidity
> -- no cold
> -- no heat
> -- no ice or snow
> -- can't see the sun rise or set
> -- can't hear the birds sing
> -- can't see the flowers in the spring or the leaves in the fall
> -- can't spit

can't see fox running down trail
can't see full moon
can't see ice crystals dancing in the moonlight

Dot

One dark day on Usenet, [email protected]entary (Virginiaz) said
news:[email protected]:

> << Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is
> better than trail jogging or vice versa?, >>
>
> ah geezzz. do we really have to go there again? just how many times
> have we DONE this already?!?!?!?!

I think it's his first time.

Phil M.

--

Huguito wrote:

> Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
> than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on both
> methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
> dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
> right now, thanks for your input.

Enjoy your running on dirt road! That's what works for you so far and it
works a few more muscles than tm. When running on uneven surfaces,
there's almost always some sideways tilting so that the small muscles
get more work. On a treadmill, it's very repetitive motion, unless you
vary the slope.

Joe S. posted an excellent list.

> Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home and
> stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
> go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

Lucky you with a great place like that to run within a short distance
from your house! There's no need to go to a gym for exercise. If you
wanted to do some additional routines, you could get some handweights or
resistance tubing and do some of that stuff at home in addition to running.

Dot

<< can't see fox running down trail
can't see full moon
can't see ice crystals dancing in the moonlight

Dot >>

but i can.

and oh look! there's a small piece of paper on the snow, hand-written with the
message:

"You have a magic world. Just open your door, and you must invite at least one
other person through the threshold. and tell them they must do the same...and
all your lovely wishes will come true, but only if you wish for others, too. so
stay true."

_______

http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+------------------------Oooo----+

<< I think it's his first time.

Phil M. >>

of course, my sincere apologies. my remark was insensitive. i should have
known otherwise.

_______

http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+------------------------Oooo----+

>I think it's his first time.

I heard he had to pay $20 for it too!

Thanks to everyone that responded, i guess i will stick with what im
comfortable now , which is jogging in the open air , breathing fresh air
ahhhhhhhhhhh , smells so good lol.
"Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Huguito wrote:
>
> > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
> > than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on

both
> > methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
> > dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
> > right now, thanks for your input.

> Enjoy your running on dirt road! That's what works for you so far and it
> works a few more muscles than tm. When running on uneven surfaces,
> there's almost always some sideways tilting so that the small muscles
> get more work. On a treadmill, it's very repetitive motion, unless you
> vary the slope.
>
> Joe S. posted an excellent list.
>

> > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home

and
> > stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time

> > go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.
> >

> Lucky you with a great place like that to run within a short distance
> from your house! There's no need to go to a gym for exercise. If you
> wanted to do some additional routines, you could get some handweights or
> resistance tubing and do some of that stuff at home in addition to

running.

> Dot

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> One dark day on Usenet, "Sam" <[email protected]> said
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> One dark day on Usenet, "Huguito" <[email protected]> said
> >> news:[email protected]:

> >> If you enjoy running along the canal, keep doing that. Anything that
> >> will keep you running is a good thing.

> >> I think we've been here before, At any rate, if you want to burn more
> >> calories and lose more weight, alternate your running days with a
> >> brisk 2 mile walk. Running 2 miles or walking 2 miles, it makes no
> >> difference, they both burn about the same amount of calories.
> >>
> >> Phil M.

> > Phil, I presume you mean ADD the walking days to what he is already
> > doing. That is increase the total volume of exercise.

> Yes, since he's running every other day, adding the walking on the non-
> running days would help him to burn calories without increasing the
> injury risk.
>
> Phil M.

I agree just needed some clarification. I would also recommend adding
a good strength training program as well.