Tread mill jogging vs Trail jogging

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Huguito, Jul 25, 2004.

  1. Huguito

    Huguito Guest

    Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
    than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on both
    methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
    dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
    right now, thanks for your input.

    Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home and
    stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
    go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

    Tags:

  2. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    One dark day on Usenet, "Huguito" <[email protected]> said
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is
    > better than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of
    > jogging on both methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging
    > alongside the canal in the dirt road , its all flat, i like it that
    > way, im jogging to loose weight right now, thanks for your input.

    If you enjoy running along the canal, keep doing that. Anything that will
    keep you running is a good thing.

    > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get
    > home and stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't
    > have time to go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the
    > canal.

    I think we've been here before, At any rate, if you want to burn more
    calories and lose more weight, alternate your running days with a brisk 2
    mile walk. Running 2 miles or walking 2 miles, it makes no difference,
    they both burn about the same amount of calories.

    Phil M.

    --
    If you can empty your own boat
    Crossing the river of the world,

  3. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    Treadmill running sucks for the following reasons:
    -- no rain
    -- no humidity
    -- no cold
    -- no heat
    -- no ice or snow
    -- can't see the sun rise or set
    -- can't hear the birds sing
    -- can't see the flowers in the spring or the leaves in the fall
    -- can't spit

    --

    -----
    Joe S.

    "Huguito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
    > than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on

    both
    > methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
    > dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
    > right now, thanks for your input.
    >
    > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home

    and
    > stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
    > go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

  4. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    One dark day on Usenet, "Joe S." <nobo[email protected]> said
    news:[email protected]:

    > Treadmill running sucks for the following reasons:
    > -- no rain
    > -- no humidity
    > -- no cold
    > -- no heat
    > -- no ice or snow
    > -- can't see the sun rise or set
    > -- can't hear the birds sing
    > -- can't see the flowers in the spring or the leaves in the fall
    > -- can't spit

    The rotating earth is my treadmill. But I worry that if I don't run fast
    enough, I might fall off the back of it.

    Phil M.

    --
    If you can empty your own boat
    Crossing the river of the world,
    No one will oppose you,
    No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

  5. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Huguito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
    > than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on

    both
    > methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
    > dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
    > right now, thanks for your input.
    >
    > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home

    and
    > stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
    > go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

    Treadmill pros:

    Controlled environment (weather, temp)
    Safety
    Controlled intensity

    Trail pros:

    Outside in the fresh air (hopefully!)
    No waiting in line (assuming one is using a gym)

    In reality, for weight loss and general fitness, the one that is best is the
    one you are going to do. Somedays it might be smarter to run inside on a TM
    (air pollution, excessively hot, excessively cold/wet)

  6. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > One dark day on Usenet, "Huguito" <[email protected]> said
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is
    > > better than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of
    > > jogging on both methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging
    > > alongside the canal in the dirt road , its all flat, i like it that
    > > way, im jogging to loose weight right now, thanks for your input.

    > If you enjoy running along the canal, keep doing that. Anything that will
    > keep you running is a good thing.
    >

    > > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get
    > > home and stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't
    > > have time to go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the
    > > canal.

    > I think we've been here before, At any rate, if you want to burn more
    > calories and lose more weight, alternate your running days with a brisk 2
    > mile walk. Running 2 miles or walking 2 miles, it makes no difference,
    > they both burn about the same amount of calories.
    >
    > Phil M.

    Phil, I presume you mean ADD the walking days to what he is already doing.
    That is increase the total volume of exercise.

  7. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Having just finished a run on Saturday that was 17 miles at an altitude of
    7500 to 8500 feet with temps in the 40s and a person getting lost on the
    trail, I was thinking the TM is really a good idea. Man, were we cold and
    worried about our friend (who is okay just was less familiar with the area
    than anyone knew).

    "Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Treadmill running sucks for the following reasons:
    > -- no rain
    > -- no humidity
    > -- no cold
    > -- no heat
    > -- no ice or snow
    > -- can't see the sun rise or set
    > -- can't hear the birds sing
    > -- can't see the flowers in the spring or the leaves in the fall
    > -- can't spit
    >
    > --
    >
    > -----
    > Joe S.
    >

    > "Huguito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
    > > than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on

    > both
    > > methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
    > > dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
    > > right now, thanks for your input.
    > >
    > > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home

    > and
    > > stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time

    > > go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

  8. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    One dark day on Usenet, "Sam" <[email protected]> said
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> One dark day on Usenet, "Huguito" <[email protected]> said
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >> > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is
    >> > better than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of
    >> > jogging on both methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging
    >> > alongside the canal in the dirt road , its all flat, i like it that
    >> > way, im jogging to loose weight right now, thanks for your input.

    >> If you enjoy running along the canal, keep doing that. Anything that
    >> will keep you running is a good thing.
    >>

    >> > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get
    >> > home and stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really
    >> > don't have time to go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile
    >> > from the canal.

    >> I think we've been here before, At any rate, if you want to burn more
    >> calories and lose more weight, alternate your running days with a
    >> brisk 2 mile walk. Running 2 miles or walking 2 miles, it makes no
    >> difference, they both burn about the same amount of calories.
    >>
    >> Phil M.

    > Phil, I presume you mean ADD the walking days to what he is already
    > doing. That is increase the total volume of exercise.

    Yes, since he's running every other day, adding the walking on the non-
    running days would help him to burn calories without increasing the
    injury risk.

    Phil M.

    --
    If you can empty your own boat
    Crossing the river of the world,
    No one will oppose you,
    No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

  9. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    << Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
    than trail jogging or vice versa?, >>

    ah geezzz. do we really have to go there again? just how many times have we
    DONE this already?!?!?!?!

    _______

    http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+

  10. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Huguito wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
    >than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on both
    >methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
    >dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
    >right now, thanks for your input.
    >
    >Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home and
    >stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
    >go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

    If you're like most people you will get so bored on the treadmill that it
    might ruin your good exercise habits. Use the treamill only when necessary,
    as in very bad weather outside.

    - Tony

  11. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Joe S. wrote:

    > Treadmill running sucks for the following reasons:
    > -- no rain
    > -- no humidity
    > -- no cold
    > -- no heat
    > -- no ice or snow
    > -- can't see the sun rise or set
    > -- can't hear the birds sing
    > -- can't see the flowers in the spring or the leaves in the fall
    > -- can't spit

    can't see fox running down trail
    can't see full moon
    can't see ice crystals dancing in the moonlight

    Dot

  12. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    One dark day on Usenet, [email protected]entary (Virginiaz) said
    news:[email protected]:

    > << Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is
    > better than trail jogging or vice versa?, >>
    >
    > ah geezzz. do we really have to go there again? just how many times
    > have we DONE this already?!?!?!?!

    I think it's his first time.

    Phil M.

    --
    If you can empty your own boat
    Crossing the river of the world,
    No one will oppose you,
    No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

  13. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Huguito wrote:

    > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
    > than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on both
    > methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
    > dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
    > right now, thanks for your input.

    Enjoy your running on dirt road! That's what works for you so far and it
    works a few more muscles than tm. When running on uneven surfaces,
    there's almost always some sideways tilting so that the small muscles
    get more work. On a treadmill, it's very repetitive motion, unless you
    vary the slope.

    Joe S. posted an excellent list.

    > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home and
    > stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time to
    > go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.

    Lucky you with a great place like that to run within a short distance
    from your house! There's no need to go to a gym for exercise. If you
    wanted to do some additional routines, you could get some handweights or
    resistance tubing and do some of that stuff at home in addition to running.

    Dot

  14. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    << can't see fox running down trail
    can't see full moon
    can't see ice crystals dancing in the moonlight

    Dot >>

    but i can.

    and oh look! there's a small piece of paper on the snow, hand-written with the
    message:

    "You have a magic world. Just open your door, and you must invite at least one
    other person through the threshold. and tell them they must do the same...and
    all your lovely wishes will come true, but only if you wish for others, too. so
    stay true."

    _______

    http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+

  15. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    << I think it's his first time.

    Phil M. >>

    of course, my sincere apologies. my remark was insensitive. i should have
    known otherwise.

    _______

    http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+

  16. >I think it's his first time.

    I heard he had to pay $20 for it too!

  17. Huguito

    Huguito Guest

    Thanks to everyone that responded, i guess i will stick with what im
    comfortable now , which is jogging in the open air , breathing fresh air
    ahhhhhhhhhhh , smells so good lol.
    "Dot" <[email protected]#duh?att.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Huguito wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, id just like all of your opinions on if tread mill jogging is better
    > > than trail jogging or vice versa?, what are the benefits of jogging on

    both
    > > methods. I ask because i really enjoy jogging alongside the canal in the
    > > dirt road , its all flat, i like it that way, im jogging to loose weight
    > > right now, thanks for your input.

    > Enjoy your running on dirt road! That's what works for you so far and it
    > works a few more muscles than tm. When running on uneven surfaces,
    > there's almost always some sideways tilting so that the small muscles
    > get more work. On a treadmill, it's very repetitive motion, unless you
    > vary the slope.
    >
    > Joe S. posted an excellent list.
    >

    > > Ps, i jog every other day , 1/4 mile warm up, then 2miles jog, get home

    and
    > > stretch, is there a better way to loose weight i really don't have time

    > > go to the gym , i jog because i live 1/4 mile from the canal.
    > >

    > Lucky you with a great place like that to run within a short distance
    > from your house! There's no need to go to a gym for exercise. If you
    > wanted to do some additional routines, you could get some handweights or
    > resistance tubing and do some of that stuff at home in addition to

    running.

    > Dot

  18. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > One dark day on Usenet, "Sam" <[email protected]> said
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> One dark day on Usenet, "Huguito" <[email protected]> said
    > >> news:[email protected]:

    > >> If you enjoy running along the canal, keep doing that. Anything that
    > >> will keep you running is a good thing.

    > >> I think we've been here before, At any rate, if you want to burn more
    > >> calories and lose more weight, alternate your running days with a
    > >> brisk 2 mile walk. Running 2 miles or walking 2 miles, it makes no
    > >> difference, they both burn about the same amount of calories.
    > >>
    > >> Phil M.

    > > Phil, I presume you mean ADD the walking days to what he is already
    > > doing. That is increase the total volume of exercise.

    > Yes, since he's running every other day, adding the walking on the non-
    > running days would help him to burn calories without increasing the
    > injury risk.
    >
    > Phil M.

    I agree just needed some clarification. I would also recommend adding
    a good strength training program as well.