Tread-stopping

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by les woodland, Mar 6, 2004.

1. les woodland

les woodland New Member

Hi

What do you do when you get a cut in a tyre that doesn't ruin it but could do with being stopped up?

You used to be able to buy tread-stopping compound, which I remember worked some times but not others, but I haven't seen it for years. And folk swore by using black Bostik, but I'm not even sure you can get that any more either.

Surely not everybody throws away a tyre the moment it gets a cut?

Any hints?

happy days

les

Tags:

2. Eidetic

Eidetic New Member

rubber cement a boot on the inside. superglue the cut on the outside. monitor.

3. systecsol

systecsol New Member

Toss it....I for one don't want to pack a tire. But, if you feel "okay" coming down a steep grade at 40-50mph and aren't worried, keep it.

4. Brizza

Brizza New Member

I keep my tyres if I can patch a hole, but if the thread is tearing under the pressure of the air then it becomes a liability.
    I use a tube repair kit if the hole is not structural. I'll have to try the supergule.

Brian

5. fushman

fushman New Member

word

6. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

I had a cut near the sidewall once. Used some stuff called shoo-goo on the otside part. Its like the old tread stop stuff. Actually, its made for tennins shoes, but worked good on my application. Then, I patched the inner part with a tube patch. Worked great. It your cut is real big, this might not work, but its worth a shot. Just keep an eye on it.

7. les woodland

les woodland New Member

Hi

Thanks to all for the help. The cuts aren't serious. I've been cycling too long (40 years or more) to spot the difference between a disaster and a snag, but it's annoying to throw an otherwise good tyre just because I hit a bit of flint or whatever.

Years ago, when summers were always hot and small boys fished in streams brimming with carp, you could get what looked like liquid tar in a tube, or stuck to a piece of silver foil which you then heated like a crack addict. The black mess went into the hole and, you hoped, filled it and stayed there. I haven't seen it for years and I suspect that it worked better on heavy treads than on the gossamer stuff that I ride these days, but I was curious to know if it could still be found anywhere in the world. Seemingly not, and maybe for good reason.

Some folk remembered using a black glue called Bostik, still available but apparently not in its heavier, black version. Superglue will work for little nicks but not for anything bigger. Anything bigger demands something more substantial. Which led to the discovery at the back of the garage of a tube of some sort of flexible, rubber-based adhesive/filler, the sort of stuff you can't actually remember buying but must have done the trick OK because there's only half of it left.

Since I had nothing to lose, I whacked some of it into a couple of holes yesterday and I've left it to dry overnight. Who knows? This may be the great breakthrough. Or I could spend the next 10km throwing shards of rubber at my friends. If you're interested, I'll let you know.

Thanks to all who helped.

happy days

les

8. neil0502

neil0502 New Member

Awww, Jeez! Now I have to take a run out and rent _A River Runs Through It_ again..... :D