Treadmill: How big a motor?

Gulph

Guest
Hi, folks. I just burned out the motor on my 10-year-old Spirit
Treadmill. The friendly repairman says he can put a new 2.5
horsepower in for about $425 or a used 2 horsepower for about $225.

The difference, he said, will not be noticeable at the level I use the
machine -- two or three 30-minute runs per week. He added that, if I
ever stepped up to "training" level -- say, five runs per week -- that
might be more load than the smaller motor could handle.

Anyone got 2 cents to spare on this issue?

Thanks for the input.

Mark

"Gulph" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The difference, he said, will not be noticeable at the level I use the
> machine -- two or three 30-minute runs per week. He added that, if I
> ever stepped up to "training" level -- say, five runs per week -- that
> might be more load than the smaller motor could handle.
>
> Anyone got 2 cents to spare on this issue?

I know where you can get a good second-hand Cosworth DFV for around $42,000.
Pushes out around 740 bhp at 17,000 revs. That's get the old legs
twinkling...

>I know where you can get a good second-hand Cosworth DFV for around $42,000.

Don't be ridiculous. You can get a good Keith Black racing engine for less.
It'll push a camaro to over 230 m.p.h. so it should push a fat white guy to
McDonalds and back.

>o it should push a fat white guy to
>McDonalds and back.

He's a health nut, he goes to Wendys.

For $400, I'd hire some shmuck to jog for me.

"Bethowmuch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It'll push a camaro to over 230 m.p.h.

F**K!!! ANYTHING that can push one of those unsophisticated lumps of tin
to that speed must be made by The Man Himself. And *you* call him 'Keith
Black'...?

>> It'll push a camaro to over 230 m.p.h.

How fast will it make my wifes vibrator go? I bought her a 12 cyclinder Mack to
power it last year, but she burned it out.

Do you know what burnt up your old motor? I think you'll be fine with a
2.0hp motor, but make sure it's a "countinuous duty motor", and not a 2.0 hp
peak motor. Also, make sure your rollers and bearings are still good, so you
don't damage your new motor.