treadmill speedwork

Treemoss2

Guest
The last couple of weeks I have been doing intervals on a treadmill. I think they are helping. I
don't think they translate directly into running speed on the road, MPH tread vs MPH road, but they
give me the body feeling of speed and faster leg turnover. The feedback in speed/time/distance
parameters on the treadmill seems better than intervals on the road. If only because you can easily
see what those are while you are running. Anyone else have any feedback on treadmill running to
increase speed?

I have only been running the program that has equal slow/speed times.

Due to the colder winter conditions in Calgary - I have had to use the treadmill for speed and hill
work sometimes - and I honestly can say that I don't like it - it definitely does not give you the
same feel as running on the road and you do not get the same "pounding" effect that you would get
on the road.

However, having said that, I think that it could be effective for the "feel" of a faster leg
turnover - I definitely agree with you there.

My only suggestion would be to set the incline at 1%-2% to give you a more "road like" effect. When
you are running on the treadmill - you don't have to propel yourself forward like you do on the road
- that is why you can run "faster" on the treadmill than on the road - but by adjusting the incline
- you are having to work a little bit more.

Don't know if that helps - that is only my 2 cents worth - and I am by no way an expert - just
letting you know my experiences.

Cheers!

JR

--
________________________________
Jeff Richert 206 815 50th Ave SW Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2S 1H8

"It's a line you have to cross to understand."

"Treemoss2" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040216120827.22762.00001696@mb-
m19.aol.com...
> The last couple of weeks I have been doing intervals on a treadmill. I
think
> they are helping. I don't think they translate directly into running speed
on
> the road, MPH tread vs MPH road, but they give me the body feeling of
speed and
> faster leg turnover. The feedback in speed/time/distance parameters on the treadmill seems
better
> than intervals on the road. If only because you can easily see what those
are
> while you are running. Anyone else have any feedback on treadmill running to increase speed?
>
> I have only been running the program that has equal slow/speed times.

>My only suggestion would be to set the incline at 1%-2% to give you a more "road like" effect.>>>

I have heard that before. I will try that. I will progress to that. Because I know that when I go to
an incline I'll want to do the same workouts I am "flat".

Second thoughts on this are that when I run outside I am trying an 'interval' situation. Wherby I
run at the feeling fast pace, but back it down to slow with no set time/distance involved other than
'to that tree'. Then I look at my overall time when done. Don't have enough runs yet to determine
anything. I also find treadmill running rather less than roadrunning, but then again I am only doing
these intervals which rarely are longer than 15 minutes total - 6 - 8 repets depending on length.