Treadmill Stress Test for 65 year old???

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Jr Berry, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Jr Berry

    Jr Berry Guest

    Hi all,

    I am now 65 years old. About 14 months ago I had a stint
    inserted to correct blockage. I've always been physically
    active. After the stint was inserted I restarted my walking
    program and gym execises..... slowly at first of cours.

    Presently I workout at the gym with weights three days a
    week. I walk about 5-6 miles a day five days a week. I walk
    at a fairly good pace (at least for a 65 year old) of about
    4.4 MPH. I feel great and very seldom get tired when walking
    or exercising.

    My doctor did an EKG on my last visit. Results were
    excellent, no problems. He now wants to do treadmill
    stress test.

    Some questions:

    Are all treadmill stress tests done the same for all age
    groups? That is, will I as a senior citizen take the same
    test a forty year old would take?

    Also, how long does the test take? What speed? What grade?

    Thanks for you help.

    Kindest regards,

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "JR Berry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am now 65 years old. About 14 months ago I had a stint
    > inserted to correct blockage. I've always been
    > physically active. After the stint was inserted I
    > restarted my walking program and gym execises.....
    > slowly at first of cours.
    >
    > Presently I workout at the gym with weights three days a
    > week. I walk about 5-6 miles a day five days a week. I
    > walk at a fairly good pace (at least for a 65 year old) of
    > about 4.4 MPH. I feel great and very seldom get tired when
    > walking or exercising.
    >
    > My doctor did an EKG on my last visit. Results were
    > excellent, no problems. He now wants to do treadmill
    > stress test.
    >
    > Some questions:
    >
    > Are all treadmill stress tests done the same for all age
    > groups? That is, will I as a senior citizen take the same
    > test a forty year old would take?
    >
    > Also, how long does the test take? What speed? What grade?
    >
    > Thanks for you help.
    >
    > Kindest regards,

    I think it is the same - assuming you are healthly etc. They
    often use the Bruce protocol or modified Bruce protocol
    which I assume you can find somewhere online. It starts slow
    and gets faster and steeper every 3 minutes typically until
    you reach a target heart rate. With me there is sometimes
    some butt pushing involved. I'm yelling "I don't think I can
    hold on much longer". The Dr. is saying just a little
    longer. And the nurse gets behind me and pushes to keep me
    up there. :)

    Bill

  3. JR Berry wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am now 65 years old. About 14 months ago I had a stint
    > inserted to correct blockage. I've always been
    > physically active. After the stint was inserted I
    > restarted my walking program and gym execises.....
    > slowly at first of cours.
    >
    > Presently I workout at the gym with weights three days a
    > week. I walk about 5-6 miles a day five days a week. I
    > walk at a fairly good pace (at least for a 65 year old) of
    > about 4.4 MPH. I feel great and very seldom get tired when
    > walking or exercising.
    >
    > My doctor did an EKG on my last visit. Results were
    > excellent, no problems. He now wants to do treadmill
    > stress test.
    >
    > Some questions:
    >
    > Are all treadmill stress tests done the same for all
    > age groups?

    Typically yes.

    > That is, will I as a senior citizen take the same test a
    > forty year old would take?

    Typically yes.

    > Also, how long does the test take?

    Depends on your physical conditioning. The more conditioned
    you are, the longer it may take to get you up to your target
    heart rate.

    > What speed?

    This increases every 3 minutes defining each "stage." See
    the FAQs on my website for specifics.

    > What grade?

    This also increases every 3 minutes.

    > Thanks for you help.

    You are welcome, JR.

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    **
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?R20632B48

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  4. Jr Berry

    Jr Berry Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...
    > JR Berry wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I am now 65 years old. About 14 months ago I had a stint
    > > inserted to correct blockage. I've always been
    > > physically active. After the stint was inserted I
    > > restarted my
    walking
    > > program and gym execises..... slowly at first of cours.
    > >
    > > Presently I workout at the gym with weights three days a
    week.
    > > I walk about 5-6 miles a day five days a week. I walk at
    > > fairly good pace (at least for a 65 year old) of
    > > about 4.4
    MPH.
    > > I feel great and very seldom get tired when walking or
    > > exercising.
    > >
    > > My doctor did an EKG on my last visit. Results were
    excellent,
    > > no problems. He now wants to do treadmill stress test.
    > >
    > > Some questions:
    > >
    > > Are all treadmill stress tests done the same for all age
    groups?

    > Typically yes.
    >

    > > That is, will I as a senior citizen take the same test a
    forty
    > > year old would take?
    >
    > Typically yes.
    >

    > > Also, how long does the test take?
    >
    > Depends on your physical conditioning. The more
    > conditioned
    you are,
    > the longer it may take to get you up to your target heart
    rate.

    Thanks for your reply....... While I walk at a farily
    "brisk" pace (4.4 MPH) and rarely become tired or winded, I
    really don't know if I am considered in good physical
    condition or not Is there some sort of guide that says a
    person is or is not in good physical condition?

    Thanks much.

  5. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    "JR Berry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am now 65 years old. About 14 months ago I had a stint
    > inserted to correct blockage. I've always been
    > physically active. After the stint was inserted I
    > restarted my walking program and gym execises.....
    > slowly at first of cours.

    congrats on passing your test! Sometime soon you should ask
    for a profusion stress test just to see more details. It
    sounds like you're in great shape! Very inspiring to me.
    Good luck and take care, Sandy

  6. That's good condition for a 65 yr old. For exact details,
    look up Dr. Kenneth Cooper's books. You may also find info
    on his website http://www.cooperaerobics.com/clinic/ You may
    also find info on the NIH website.

    "JR Berry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<JaCdnWb5-
    [email protected]>...
    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > ws.teranews.com...
    > > JR Berry wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > I am now 65 years old. About 14 months ago I had a
    > > > stint inserted to correct blockage. I've always been
    > > > physically active. After the stint was inserted I
    > > > restarted my
    > walking
    > > > program and gym execises..... slowly at first of
    > > > cours.
    > > >
    > > > Presently I workout at the gym with weights three
    > > > days a
    > week.
    > > > I walk about 5-6 miles a day five days a week. I
    > > > walk at
    > > > fairly good pace (at least for a 65 year old) of
    > > > about 4.4
    > MPH.
    > > > I feel great and very seldom get tired when walking or
    > > > exercising.
    > > >
    > > > My doctor did an EKG on my last visit. Results were
    > excellent,
    > > > no problems. He now wants to do treadmill stress test.
    > > >
    > > > Some questions:
    > > >
    > > > Are all treadmill stress tests done the same for
    > > > all age
    > groups?
    > >
    > > Typically yes.
    > >

    > > > That is, will I as a senior citizen take the same
    > > > test a
    > forty
    > > > year old would take?
    > >
    > > Typically yes.
    > >

    > > > Also, how long does the test take?
    > >
    > > Depends on your physical conditioning. The more
    > > conditioned
    > you are,
    > > the longer it may take to get you up to your
    > > target heart
    > rate.
    >
    > Thanks for your reply....... While I walk at a farily
    > "brisk" pace (4.4 MPH) and rarely become tired or winded,
    > I really don't know if I am considered in good physical
    > condition or not Is there some sort of guide that says a
    > person is or is not in good physical condition?
    >
    > Thanks much.

  7. Jr Berry

    Jr Berry Guest

    Thanks Brad for your reply...........

    The good news is that I took the test today and "blew it
    away." I was quite happy. The test wasn't nearly as hard as
    my daily workouts.

    "Brad Sheppard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > That's good condition for a 65 yr old. For exact details,
    look up Dr.
    > Kenneth Cooper's books. You may also find info on his
    > website http://www.cooperaerobics.com/clinic/ You may also
    > find info
    on the
    > NIH website.
    >
    > "JR Berry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote
    in
    > > message news:[email protected]
    > > news.com...

    physically
    > > walking

    > > week.
    4.4
    > > MPH.

    > > excellent,

    > > groups?
    > > >
    > > > Typically yes.

    > > forty
    > > >
    > > > Typically yes.

    > > > Depends on your physical conditioning. The more
    conditioned
    > > you are,
    > > > the longer it may take to get you up to your target
    > > > heart
    > > rate.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your reply....... While I walk at a farily
    "brisk"
    > > pace (4.4 MPH) and rarely become tired or winded, I
    > > really don't know if I am considered in good physical
    > > condition or
    not
    > > Is there some sort of guide that says a person is or
    > > is not
    in
    > > good physical condition?
    > >
    > > Thanks much.

  8. JR,

    That's great ! I'm not surprised. Please keep up the good
    work. At my gym I see many 30 to 40 yr olds huffing and
    puffing at 3.5 to 4.0 mph on the treadmill. Of course, they
    have more than a few extra pounds....

    [email protected]>...

  9. Brad Sheppard wrote:

    > JR,
    >
    > That's great ! I'm not surprised. Please keep up the good
    > work. At my gym I see many 30 to 40 yr olds huffing and
    > puffing at 3.5 to 4.0 mph on the treadmill. Of course,
    > they have more than a few extra pounds....

    Enter the 2PD approach:

    http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp

    (with your doctor's supervision)

    ...because exercise is neither necessary nor sufficient to
    lose weight.

    Andrew