Treadmill test says max=175, HRM says 184

jshelton

Aug 19, 2005
I just got back from my cardiologist after having a treadmill test to check things out and determine what my actual max heart rate is. She stopped the test when my heart rate reached 149 although I wasn't working that hard. She said she could still figure my max and told me it was 175.

Well, I've seen 170 or above several times in the last several weeks and 184 once. I hit 184 at the end of a 22 mile ride. In the last mile of that ride, I put the pedal to the metal and pushed my heart rate from 158 gradually up to 184. I figured that was a good indication that my max was at least 184.

I asked the technician how in the world could my max be 175 when I had seen 184 on my heart rate monitor. She responded by telling me it was best not to exercise above my max. I didn't know that was humanly possible! So it doesn't seem like the treadmill test really gave me my actual max.

What do you think? Ignore the treadmill test results and go with the 184 I saw on my HRM?

BTW -- If you know a good place to get max testing done in San Diego, please let me know!

Thanks,

Jim

If the Dr. says not to go above a certain level, then I would be inclined to listen to them. IF YOU ARE HEALTHY, there should be no problem going to your max HR.

It is important to keep in mind that, to a certain extent, max. HR is sport specific. I can hit 211 running, but not on the bike.

If you're willing to pay for some test data, why don't you go to a cycling-specific lab and get tested for VO2MAX and LT, among other things? That would be more useful to guide your training intensities. Here's a lab near San Diego http://www.cuttingedgeworldwide.com/. You might also contact some of the university physiology depts. in the area. They might have the equipment and sometimes they are looking for test subjects.

RapDaddyo said:
If you're willing to pay for some test data, why don't you go to a cycling-specific lab and get tested for VO2MAX and LT, among other things? That would be more useful to guide your training intensities. Here's a lab near San Diego http://www.cuttingedgeworldwide.com/. You might also contact some of the university physiology depts. in the area. They might have the equipment and sometimes they are looking for test subjects.
Thanks for the tips! I may just give that lab a try.

Jim

jshelton said:
I just got back from my cardiologist after having a treadmill test to check things out and determine what my actual max heart rate is. She stopped the test when my heart rate reached 149 although I wasn't working that hard. She said she could still figure my max and told me it was 175.

she has *lied*. period. unless she said something like "...it's 175 b/min, +/- 25 b/min"

Well, I've seen 170 or above several times in the last several weeks and 184 once. I hit 184 at the end of a 22 mile ride. In the last mile of that ride, I put the pedal to the metal and pushed my heart rate from 158 gradually up to 184. I figured that was a good indication that my max was at least 184.

All we can say is that your peak HR during that ride was 184 b/min. Your HRmax may or may not be higher.

the only way to ascertain HRmax is to test it in the sport you are interested in, and to note that it maybe sport specific, for e.g., multisport athletes, and low fitness cyclists may score higher in running that cycling, which would have implications for training with HR levels.

If i recall correctly you've had some health related problems, and these may or may not preclude you from doing a HRmax test. You would need to check your medical team for this (although i would suggest changing from your present one or asking for a further explanation to understand the previous comments relating to HRmax). Remember taking your HR to max can be a huge strain and should not be attempted by everyone or at any time.

I asked the technician how in the world could my max be 175 when I had seen 184 on my heart rate monitor. She responded by telling me it was best not to exercise above my max. I didn't know that was humanly possible! So it doesn't seem like the treadmill test really gave me my actual max.

your HRmax can and does change with training and with modality (i note you post to slowtwitch and perhaps you swim and run as well?). Swimming is likely going to result in a lower HRmax, while running will produce a higher HRmax as i don't believe you are a well trained cyclist.

What do you think? Ignore the treadmill test results and go with the 184 I saw on my HRM?

BTW -- If you know a good place to get max testing done in San Diego, please let me know!

Thanks,

Jim

i think it would be better to get a second opinion from another cardiologist -- someone who is prepared to explain better, more in depth and not fob you off with cr@p.

ric

Hi Ric! - thanks for the great feedback!

I do post on Slowtwitch but I only do cycling. My belief is that my max is at least 184 and my workouts have been driven by that. The person administering the test was not actually my regular cardiologist. I was told that she was also a cardiologist bit I'm wondering if maybe she was just a technician... I have a lot of faith in my doctor and she had already given me the go ahead earlier this year for intense training with no restrictions.

I had a stress test last year and an echocardiogram that both showed everything was fine. And that was when I was about 330 lbs. I'm now at 205 lbs. I'm 50 yrs old and 5'10". I'm shooting for a weight of about 170lbs...

You are right! I'm a high-maintenance guy! I have a hormonal disorder - pituitary failure - which requires me to take full hormone replacement since my body no longer produces any hormones. I also have severe sleep apnea, asthma and allergy issues. I went from a pretty athletic 180lb bike rider in 1995 to my max of 330 last year. I also just started getting physical therapy for a degenerated disc. So I have a pretty good sized 'pit crew' to keep me going... The illness went undiagnosed for years and I only started getting effective treatment last year. I wasn't able to ride hardly at all during those years so I'm sure you can see why I'm so focused on my training right now!

I started time-trial training and signed up for the Fiesta Island 20k on Sept. 11. That's been the main reason I wanted to get my max figured out. It looks like right now I can maintain about 23 mph. I'll do a practice 20k next week to see where I'm at...

Thanks again...I love just being back on the bike...and trying to figure this stuff out is a nice 'problem' to have!:)

Jim

jshelton said:
Hi Ric! - thanks for the great feedback!

I do post on Slowtwitch but I only do cycling.

Good God then man. Stay away from that forum -- that have strange practices there, like running.... Eurgh! :D ;)

My belief is that my max is at least 184 and my workouts have been driven by that.

it would think that, that is more accurate than the 175 b/min.

The person administering the test was not actually my regular cardiologist. I was told that she was also a cardiologist bit I'm wondering if maybe she was just a technician... I have a lot of faith in my doctor and she had already given me the go ahead earlier this year for intense training with no restrictions.

that's always useful (the go ahead).

I had a stress test last year and an echocardiogram that both showed everything was fine. And that was when I was about 330 lbs. I'm now at 205 lbs. I'm 50 yrs old and 5'10". I'm shooting for a weight of about 170lbs...

excellent work. keep it going.

You are right! I'm a high-maintenance guy! I have a hormonal disorder - pituitary failure - which requires me to take full hormone replacement since my body no longer produces any hormones. I also have severe sleep apnea, asthma and allergy issues. I went from a pretty athletic 180lb bike rider in 1995 to my max of 330 last year. I also just started getting physical therapy for a degenerated disc. So I have a pretty good sized 'pit crew' to keep me going... The illness went undiagnosed for years and I only started getting effective treatment last year. I wasn't able to ride hardly at all during those years so I'm sure you can see why I'm so focused on my training right now!

all things considered i think you've made tremendous progress and it show's that people do not have to be hampered by illness (assuming they have the go ahead to exercise -- some illnesses you shouldn't exercise with). excellent work.

I started time-trial training and signed up for the Fiesta Island 20k on Sept. 11. That's been the main reason I wanted to get my max figured out. It looks like right now I can maintain about 23 mph. I'll do a practice 20k next week to see where I'm at...

while i don't want to 'upset' you -- you should check with USA Cycling (i guess you're in the US?) as regards competing and taking HRT as there maybe issues related to 'dope control' (even for lower category riders). it's something to check out with them (remember i'm not in the US so, our UK rules may or may not be different to yours).

Thanks again...I love just being back on the bike...and trying to figure this stuff out is a nice 'problem' to have!:)

Jim

It's a great 'problem' to have - debating on training etc. Let me know if our group can help you further and take you up the categories

cheers
ric

I'm in San Diego,CA. From what I've been told, as long as the medications are medically necessary then it's not a problem. But even if it kept me from officially competing, I'd still be out there training to beat my PR. Guess I'm one of those folks who actually enjoys the pain of time-trial training!

BTW -- A big motivation of mine is to inspire others who have a chronic illness and for that matter those who are perfectly well. I created my own blog/personal website to document my comeback. It has my 'before' picture from last year and all of my progress photos. I've been using the BFL (Body-For-Life) program and cycling to rebuild my fitness. Please feel free to show it to anyone who you think it might help. Here's the link:

Jim's Place

BTW -- My success has been driving my overweight friends crazy! The way they look at it is that if the guy with the hormonal disorder can lose weight, then what excuse do I have?!!!

Jim

jshelton said:
I'm in San Diego,CA. From what I've been told, as long as the medications are medically necessary then it's not a problem.

Smartt/RST is in CA, Michael may be able to help you with testing etc. Unfortunately, my geographic intelligence is 'poor' so i don't know how far you are from Michael?

assuming you race under UCI rules that is incorrect. at the very least you would need theraputic exemption certificates. It's imperative that you check your position with USA Cycling.

UCI rules on antidoping are here http://www.uci.ch/imgArchive/Rules/14ant-E.pdf

this page has further links http://www.uci.ch/modello.asp?1stLevelID=H&level1=0&level2=0&idnews=2676

But even if it kept me from officially competing, I'd still be out there training to beat my PR. Guess I'm one of those folks who actually enjoys the pain of time-trial training!

training, pushing yourself and wanting a PB etc are great goals and a fantistic way to motivate yourself.

BTW -- A big motivation of mine is to inspire others who have a chronic illness and for that matter those who are perfectly well. I created my own blog/personal website to document my comeback. It has my 'before' picture from last year and all of my progress photos. I've been using the BFL (Body-For-Life) program and cycling to rebuild my fitness. Please feel free to show it to anyone who you think it might help. Here's the link:

Jim's Place

i'll check later, but well done. this sort of thing is fantastically motivating for lots of people. Michael works with Paralympians, as do I, and i personally find it motivating.

BTW -- My success has been driving my overweight friends crazy! The way they look at it is that if the guy with the hormonal disorder can lose weight, then what excuse do I have?!!!

Jim

in non-cycling life i see lots of overweight people and some gentle exercise coupled with moderate changes to diet and they'd be able to lose weight (assuming they wanted to).

ric

jshelton said:
From what I've been told, as long as the medications are medically necessary then it's not a problem.
The US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has a website with an online drug reference http://www.usantidoping.org/dro/. You can look up specific medications and find out whether it is a permitted, restricted or prohibited substance. You may need a waiver for some of your medications.