Treadmills...blah

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Anonymous, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I used to think running on treadmills was easier than running on the road.
    I tried running on a treadmill today and could barely make it 3 miles. I
    find it easier for me to make more distance on the road...I guess I get
    bored on the treadmill, but this one had a tv on it! Oh well, at least I DO
    like running on the road better. Does anybody have the same problem?

    Tags:

  2. anon said:

    << I used to think running on treadmills was easier than running on the road.
    I tried running on a treadmill today and could barely make it 3 miles. I
    find it easier for me to make more distance on the road...I guess I get
    bored on the treadmill, but this one had a tv on it! Oh well, at least I DO
    like running on the road better. Does anybody have the same problem? >>

    here's what i like about the treadmill:
    1. it forces you keep pace.
    2. easier to run, no traffic.
    3. easier to measure distance, pace, etc.
    4. softer footing, nicer to legs.
    5. if one has a treadmill in one's home building, much less time is spent
    putting in one's mandatory time. afterall, for me, i like to get it done, then
    settle down to work or fun.

    NV. now that's not to say that, for a special treat, running en Morning Wood,
    early morning, or late eve, would not be a very special treat!

    hope that helps!

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  3. On 2004-10-26, Anonymous <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I used to think running on treadmills was easier than running on the road.
    > I tried running on a treadmill today and could barely make it 3 miles. I
    > find it easier for me to make more distance on the road...I guess I get
    > bored on the treadmill, but this one had a tv on it! Oh well, at least I DO
    > like running on the road better. Does anybody have the same problem?

    Wouldn't call it a "problem", but running on the road is more fun. Running on
    the treadmill is something you really have to "learn to like". I find the
    treadmill pretty hard to take after about 1hr. The life fitness treadmills
    have a 1hr time limit, and that's never been a problem for me.

    I never could watch TV during running, though I did listen to music on the
    treadmill.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  4. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Anonymous" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I used to think running on treadmills was easier than running on the road.
    > I tried running on a treadmill today and could barely make it 3 miles. I
    > find it easier for me to make more distance on the road...I guess I get
    > bored on the treadmill, but this one had a tv on it! Oh well, at least I DO
    > like running on the road better. Does anybody have the same problem?

    I like running on trails the best. However, in order to get time to run
    I often need to use the health club and its day-care center for my kids,
    so that puts me on a treadmill. I find I like the treadmill just fine if
    I'm doing some sort of speedwork, tempo run, or VO2-max run since it
    keeps me exactly on pace, and I have a tendency to run too slowly.

    But running on a treadmill just to get distance in: no way!

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  5. Bear G

    Bear G Guest

    Harold Buck wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Anonymous" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I like running on trails the best. However, in order to get time to run
    > I often need to use the health club and its day-care center for my kids,
    > so that puts me on a treadmill.

    You could drop off the kids and head out the door.

    In the unlikely event that they complain that you're "abusing"
    their day-care you could (legitimately) point out that you're
    changing there, showering there, and paying for the facilities.
    The only difference is that you aren't hogging a treadmill for
    over an hour. Why they should be thanking you, not challenging you.