Treadmills...blah

Anonymous

Guest
I used to think running on treadmills was easier than running on the road.
I tried running on a treadmill today and could barely make it 3 miles. I
find it easier for me to make more distance on the road...I guess I get
bored on the treadmill, but this one had a tv on it! Oh well, at least I DO
like running on the road better. Does anybody have the same problem?

anon said:

<< I used to think running on treadmills was easier than running on the road.
I tried running on a treadmill today and could barely make it 3 miles. I
find it easier for me to make more distance on the road...I guess I get
bored on the treadmill, but this one had a tv on it! Oh well, at least I DO
like running on the road better. Does anybody have the same problem? >>

here's what i like about the treadmill:
1. it forces you keep pace.
2. easier to run, no traffic.
3. easier to measure distance, pace, etc.
4. softer footing, nicer to legs.
5. if one has a treadmill in one's home building, much less time is spent
putting in one's mandatory time. afterall, for me, i like to get it done, then
settle down to work or fun.

NV. now that's not to say that, for a special treat, running en Morning Wood,
early morning, or late eve, would not be a very special treat!

hope that helps!

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

On 2004-10-26, Anonymous <[email protected]> wrote:
> I used to think running on treadmills was easier than running on the road.
> I tried running on a treadmill today and could barely make it 3 miles. I
> find it easier for me to make more distance on the road...I guess I get
> bored on the treadmill, but this one had a tv on it! Oh well, at least I DO
> like running on the road better. Does anybody have the same problem?

Wouldn't call it a "problem", but running on the road is more fun. Running on
the treadmill is something you really have to "learn to like". I find the
treadmill pretty hard to take after about 1hr. The life fitness treadmills
have a 1hr time limit, and that's never been a problem for me.

I never could watch TV during running, though I did listen to music on the
treadmill.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

In article <[email protected]>,
"Anonymous" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I used to think running on treadmills was easier than running on the road.
> I tried running on a treadmill today and could barely make it 3 miles. I
> find it easier for me to make more distance on the road...I guess I get
> bored on the treadmill, but this one had a tv on it! Oh well, at least I DO
> like running on the road better. Does anybody have the same problem?

I like running on trails the best. However, in order to get time to run
I often need to use the health club and its day-care center for my kids,
so that puts me on a treadmill. I find I like the treadmill just fine if
I'm doing some sort of speedwork, tempo run, or VO2-max run since it
keeps me exactly on pace, and I have a tendency to run too slowly.

But running on a treadmill just to get distance in: no way!

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

Harold Buck wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Anonymous" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I like running on trails the best. However, in order to get time to run
> I often need to use the health club and its day-care center for my kids,
> so that puts me on a treadmill.

You could drop off the kids and head out the door.

In the unlikely event that they complain that you're "abusing"
their day-care you could (legitimately) point out that you're
changing there, showering there, and paying for the facilities.
The only difference is that you aren't hogging a treadmill for
over an hour. Why they should be thanking you, not challenging you.