treating a herniated disc

deiberson

Jan 30, 2004
just diagnost. anyone have any luck with a treatment. its not severe however it is annoying. any strategies or suggestions appreciated.

deiberson said:
any strategies or suggestions appreciated.
I herniated a disk in my lower back in '98 (Recovering is part of what motivated me to get back on the bike, eventually) and tried just about everything except surgery. Avoid traction at all costs. I'm quite sure it only agrivated the condition. I had some luck with "pain management" where they inject a series of cortizone/lidocane coctails into your spinal cord so that it speeds healing and eases the pain, allowing you to do what really helps: stretch and strengthen your core. Accupuncture did much the same thing, albeit more slowly, but without having to take the whole day off work to recover from the medication that immobilizes you while the doc has a needle in your spine. Chairopractic polished off the problems and now I ride for hours with no pain at all, so long as I do my stretches. It's a long road to real recovery, but it can be done if you take care of yourself.

Oh man!! I know the feeling, I was a mountain biker and I was diagnosed with two herniated disc's. It will be a long road for true recovery. Luckily I was a collegiate cyclist and I had access to wonderful resources at a big university. My best advice is to find a good chiropractor and no matter what, always do your stretches. Proper stretching will keep you strong, mobil, and active.

It will be something we will live with the rest of our lives but it can be manageable if you listen to your body and STETCH. Whatever doctors say don't give in to the temptation of surgery. I had all kinds of doctors and procedures and nothing helped as much as my life saving chiropractor.

I don't mountain bike any more but I have picked up road cycling and it is my new passion. When I am feeling well and with no pain, I will sometimes indulge with a lap or two at a near by mountain bike trail.

Jab1111 said:
My best advice is to find a good chiropractor...

You're going to get so much conflicting advice... :)

IMO, a chiropractor is a waste of time. Manipulation of the spine is the last thing you need.

I herniated a disc in 2003 (then reinjured it in 2004 and 2005). What got me back on the bike was a good physiotherapist (ex-NHL physio... he knows sports physio), traction, [see, told you you'd get conflicting advice], core strength exercises, careful stretching (only as directed by the physio), a couple of visits to a cycling coach to look at my bike position and a visit to a good sports doctor [my Dr. works for the national rowing and cycling teams].

For me the key was the sports doctor... he's worked to get patients with similar problems to the Olympics. In my case he knew my coach and knew his fit philosophy... first thing he said is "Barry set you up? Drop your seat 1-1.5 cm and tip the nose down by a cm and leave it there until you feel better." It worked. Not many doctors are that in tune with cycling to know what needs to be done to get you on the bike. Doctor told me I'd be back riding seriously soon (it was two months) but it'd be years before the disc was completely healed.

deiberson said:
just diagnost. anyone have any luck with a treatment. its not severe however it is annoying. any strategies or suggestions appreciated.
SO how is your treatment going? Are you cycling again?I just reinjured mine and decided to see a chiropractor. Two weeks of treatment so far with mixed results. I haven't found any sports related physiotherapist in the Jacksonville ,Fl area that knows about cycling. (They concentrate on Golf or football). At least the chiropractor is an avid cyclist.

What are the symptoms of a herniated disk verses a pinched nerve?

I'm having a problem with my lower back closer to the tailbone on one side. It throbs while stretching & riding. Pain Level4. (1-10 scale)

One night last summer while sleeping, I rolled over & something popped in my lower back. It swelled up & I was unable to ride for a month. It was bothering me for a month or so prior to this. X-rays showed nothing.

I've always been flexible & could put my wrists on the floor & chest to knee's. Can't do it anymore though. I've lost most of my flexibility. Should I start pushing the flexibility & core training?

I commute to work several days a week. I MTB every weekend. When you get startled or react to things on the bike it can aggrivate the lower back. Sometimes you just react & there it is, the throbbing pain appears.

Pinched Nerve? Disk issue? Idea's suggestions?

Thanks

waldo...

throbbing pain is no herniated disc. you'll know when it is - try paralysis or complete inability to move for starters.
could have some sciatic issues, degeneration, facet joint problems etc. ive had them at various stages also, sounded similar, nothing ever showed up on xrays.

ive split my disc 7 times now. last time was one month ago and im only just on the mend. extreme caution in every movement i do,...no chance of riding or golfing for another 3months, just walking slowly and thats about it. and getting back into exercises.

used to do my back every 6months. then a year. then once i learnt about it, stretched it out to 2.5yrs prior to recent incident.
pilates, core stability, fit balls, walking, stretching - constant, 5-7 x half hour sessions per week is needed, minimum ive found.
chiropractors - in my opinion, useless. different issue altogether, u cant fix a rooted disc by cracking a few bones and manipulation.
ive tried everything under the sun, and the only thing that helps stretch out the time between episodes, and to ease the sciatic pain, is the home brand pilates/core/fitball/stretching exercises i do.
cant diagnose your problem sorry, but in terms of prevention, try the exercises mentioned perhaps.

I had a disc herniation in early January doing deadlifts at the gym (I've done a lot of weight training before, but I think all the cycling I had been doing maybe left me a little vulnerable). I've rehurt it 3 times since (doing nothing really all that stressful. I've gone through a bunch of physio and am doing a lot of core stuff now which seems to help. I just always feel vulnerable in everything I do and it's always on my mind...

WHAT A PAIN!!

Ricardo29 said:
waldo...

throbbing pain is no herniated disc.

... the only thing that helps stretch out the time between episodes, and to ease the sciatic pain, is the home brand pilates/core/fitball/stretching exercises i do.
cant diagnose your problem sorry, but in terms of prevention, try the exercises mentioned perhaps.
Thanks Recardo

When my back went out I was unable to sit at a desk & work. I could recline but trying to take myself to the hospital was an extremely painful experience. Specifically getting in & out of the car. It took awhile & something small like bending my head down would set all the pain off in my lower back then I'd get paralized with pain unable to move & in a cold sweat. I'm 6.1 so getting in the small Japanese car caused many a problem. Glad that's over. Now I'm left with the throbing located anywhere between the talebone to the lower back area left side. Wish I knew what it was...

At least it's not a slip disk although it seems to have something to do with the nerve - hence the pain? I feel blessed because I am able to ride. I've upped the stretching regiment thanks to this thread. I won't be neglecting stretching anymore. For some reason I thought it would aggrevate things - I guess I was wrong eh?. I also purchased an exercize ball & found a cycling specific core & back training program that sounds promising which I've ordered. http://cyclo-zen.com This guy Greame has some great bike training products, many of which are shaking up the home training & coaching industry. Cutting edge stuff.

I hope your situation improves Recardo & I wish the best with your recovery efforts. Hang in there & thankyou for helping me out.

wALDO