Treating Bicyclist Syndrome (Pudendal Nerve Pain) with Acupuncture

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by craigamrine, Apr 5, 2010.

1. craigamrine

craigamrine New Member

The Fire Down Below”

A lot of people have it, but most don’t talk about it. It’s increasingly common among bicycle riders. It can affect your sex-life, your workouts, and long bouts of sitting. It’s often misdiagnosed as a prostate problem. It can make your life a living hell. It can affect both men and women. I’m talking about Pudendal Neuralgia. Also known as Bicyclist Syndrome, Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome, and Pudendal Nerve Entrapment. It can be described as a persistent and intense burning pain in the pelvic region that can extend to the entire urogenital area. It is thought to be due to irritation or adhesions to the pudendal nerve. Where is it? To put it simply, it’s the nerve that you are sitting on when you ride a bicycle. Aside from invasive therapy, powerful narcotics, and surgery, there is not a lot that can be done…. until now.

Being a long-time mountain biker ( yes, I still ride a hard-tail), I've run across a lot of other bicyclist enthusiasts. Living in Phoenix, our bike season extends to a full 12 months of the year. As a licensed acupuncturist, fellow riders are much more willing to "volunteer" their health information to me. A few of my patients that I've treated for this affliction urged to speak up and reach out to the bicycling community. So, I've just published an article on my treatment protocol using acupuncture and cold-laser therapy. If you're interested, take a look here.

Tags:

2. carletto

carletto New Member

[/lang].