trek 1.1 2011 vs. trek 1.2 2009

legomatt

Jun 23, 2011
i went to my local bike shop and the were trying to sell me a trek 1.2 from 2009 saying that it is no difference from the trek1.2 2011 i was kind of skeptical that a 2 year difference would change anything they offered me the 1.2 from 2009 for the same price as the trek 1.1 that i came to look at. But i walked out with no bike they were trying to hard to make me buy the bike and i wanted to do some research so what better way then to ask hear. I wanted a trek 1.1 from 2010 50cm frame but called every store within 200 miles of my house no one had one or could order one :( . Would it be a very good deal to buy that trek 1.2 than to buy the trek 1.1 2011? or should i save up a little bit more and spend it on the trek 2011 1.2?
I am open to any suggestions? i have never owned a road bike so this is a first.
thanks /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I would say that 2009 1.2 would be a pretty good buy.......but, here are some links to bikepedia comparing the bikes for you to look at.

First, the 2011 1.1 compared to the 2009 1.2 ( did the 2009 1.2 the bike shop pushed you to buy have a triple crank?)

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Side2Side.aspx?BikeIDs=22610b+17558b

And then the 2011 1.2 compared to the 2009 1.2 ( not much difference that I can see other than the 2009 shows being equiped with a triple crank)

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Side2Side.aspx?BikeIDs=22609b+17558b

A triple crank is a crank with 3 chainrings in front instead of 2. It allows for a very small chainring to be equipped if one lives in a mountainous area and doesn't want to torture him/herself on every ride. They're also useful for riders with bad knees that need to be careful of the amount of torque they apply.

They aren't as popular as they used to be--most road bikes have given way to "compact" cranks which have wider gear ratio, but in my opinion, are still nothing compared to a triple. But I live at the base of the Santa Cruz mountains so a triple is a necessity to reach those twisty lonely steep mountain roads that I love.

If you don't plan on climbing a lot, or the hills aren't a steep grade, or you have strong legs and good knees, then a triple isn't as necessary.

Well, you may not need a triple crank...but, it sure wouldn't hurt to have one if you can get a really good deal on a bike that has one.

One thing to keep in mind is if you are 13 years old you will probably out grow a bike pretty fast. So, you'll have to get a really good deal on a new bike to avoid losing too much money when you trade it in or sell it.

You could also check around for used bikes. If you could buy a used bike that fits you properly for a reasonable price and you take good care of it, you may be able to sell it for almost the same as you payed for it in a year or 18 months from now...