Trek 1 and 2 Owners, Log In Here....

new_rider

Jan 22, 2010
I test rode a trek 2.1 and was amazed. This was a 2009 model. Now, it's gone. I just could not bring myself to write a check for $1300, as much as I loved the bike, and now it's gone.

I don't want to let another one slip through my fingers.

Trek 1 and 2 owners, tell me how much you love your ride. I need some help to tip the scales!

I've worked for a Trek dealer so I am biased but there have usually been very few quality and longevity issues with their aluminium bikes. I personally would prefer one of those over a current carbon Trek.

But that aside, if you've decided you love the bike, why should you need someone else's opinion on it?

Ultimately it doesn't matter what kind of bike it is, YOU will be the one who rides it and not anyone else.

I am very happy with my Trek 2.3 but if you do have a problem spending that kind of money get the Trek card and just pay it off a little at a time instead of just one chunk. But I would have to agree that it doesnt matter then brand just be happy riding whatever you choose.

I bought a trek 1.2. For the money it's an amazing bike. Few ****les though - just posted a thread about the comfort, or lack thereof, of the saddle. Also the shimano sora set could be better - sometimes get some problems on the 50T with the front derailluer rubbing on the chain but it can be fixed. All in all for the price it's sweet as a nut. Did get smoked by a guy on a very expensive looking bianchi today though :eek:.

I have a 2009 1.5 triple which I really enjoy... I do not enjoy the Shimano Sora gruppo (with a Tiagra front derailleur) that Trek put on the bike.

I bought a 2009 Trek 2.1 a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier. I had an 89 Trek 1200 that I rode the wheels off of previously. I think Trek along with many other manufacturers produce terrific bikes. My advice is to ride as many different bikes as possible and buy the one which YOU like best.
I have read many post and reviews on the Trek in which people find the saddle to be very uncomfortable. I am not a big guy 5'9" 165lbs and have had no problems with the stock saddle. However saddles are not a one size fits all. Be prepared to upgrade as needed.

I upgraded my old 1970's Nishiki International in for a 2010 Trek 2.3 and I can say only one thing. I LOVE MY BIKE:D. The 2.3 is noticably sitffer and i dont know if it is in my head or not, but i feel so much faster and stronger in the Trek. The Trek was the best $1800 i spent in my life.

Since you love the bike that should be an indication of whether or not you should buy the bike.

I suggest you stick it in a fund somewhere until you have the money. You will end up paying more money if you pay bit by bit. It'll be worth the wait! By the time you have enough maybe you can get a 2010 model next year at a discount.

I bought a Trek 1.1 recently and love it. I am new to road biking but it has really been a great time so far. I do agree that the stock saddle is a little uncomfortable but that is something that can be swapped out or a pair of bike shorts can sometimes solve the problem.

I too just purchased my first road bike. I've always owned Trek mountain bikes and since making the switch from trail to road I naturally gravitated towards Trek. The model I chose was the 2.1 and I have been very happy with it. The only negative is the lack of comfort with the stock Bontrager saddle. Going to try to replace it with one of the Selle saddles with the cut-out. Also, just as pdt1793db mentioned, the Trek card is a great deal. Not only can you use it to purchase the bike, but anything else in the store as well.http://www.cyclingforums.com/members/179086-pdt1793db.html

i too own a 1.2 2010 version, eing the first roda bike i actually brought( not one left in the garge from my dad) i am very pleased. i was weighing up between that and the specialized and only fo rhte very nice specialized telling me there was no real difference, i opted for the TREK., mainly because it was a more "known" brand for me.

its interseting that there are some other complaints about the saddle. i also find it really difficult to get comfortable on longer rides.

what other options have people gone for? any suggestions?

Apat from that i have had nothing but good times on the bike, the only thing im thinking about doing is replacing the 50T on the front with a 53 as i have quite strong legs and find i just need an extra gear on two to really get into the flats and descents...

I recently tested out a 2.1 and 2.3. I really enjoyed both bike and I think you get a lot of bike for the money (the geometry is the same as the Madone 4.5 I was also shopping for). I ended up spending more to get an all carbon Felt, but I definitely don't think you could go wrong with the 2 series for the money.

SDMichael said:
I have a 2009 1.5 triple which I really enjoy... I do not enjoy the Shimano Sora gruppo (with a Tiagra front derailleur) that Trek put on the bike.

I just did a short test ride on a 2009 Trek 1.5. I found the shifting a little confusing, but that was my first time on a nice bike, I've been riding a 20 - 30 year old Schwinn World Sports Road bike that is a clunky 12 speed.

So what exactly don't you enjoy? My local bike shop has one that they said they would knock 15% off, so it would be $850. Does that seem like a good price?